Chapter 14: One Fib

"Oh! What about this guy?" Hiyori asks, pointing at another image of a classmate of hers. "He's kinda cute. Don't cha think?"

I glimpse down at the picture and shrug, "Eh. He's okay."

"Ugh! You've said that about the last five guys!" she grumbles. "We're trying to find you a guy to go out with. Don't you want to go out with Hiroki and me?"

The girl sitting across from me looks so hopeful and happy. She and Hiroki have been going strong and now she wants me to meet him. However, instead of just bringing him by the shop sometime before one of their dates, she's been pestering me to find a guy to join them on a double date. I can't speak for Hiroki, but I do not care for double dates. In my mind, they're not the best especially for a couple still getting to know each other. Say me and whoever Hiyori throws me with. Aside from that, they're just uncomfortable and weird.

Still, Hiyori is hellbent on a double date. I can see it in her eyes. She wants more than anything for that. And with those puppy eyes, I almost feel like caving into it even if I end up with a stranger. Almost. Almost. In the end, it'll take more than puppy eyes.

I roll my eyes playfully and shrug, "Eh. You know I'm -"

"Come on, Y/N!" she interrupts, nearly throwing herself at me. "Please! Just one date! Just one!"

Desperation and pleading fill her expression, nearly striking me. Honestly, this almost gets me. I almost consider agreeing to go out with a random guy to satisfy her, but that's not what I want to do. That doesn't even appeal to me.

"Sorry," I giggle, "but I don't wanna go out with a stranger."

"But Hiroki and I would be there. You wouldn't be with him all by yourself," she insists. "Come on! We can find you a real cute guy who's a great conversationalist if you're afraid of awkward silence."

I laugh, "Well, that would help a little but I'm just not into setups like this."

"Why not? You said you'd let me hook you up with someone," she pouts.

She has me there. I did agree to let her find me a date. I'm regretting those words now. Maybe there's a way out of this. Maybe I can find a way to avoid any more talk of this. However, the expression on Hiyori's face tells me otherwise. She is set on this. She wants us to bond with our dates on this. So, I'm scheming. I'm scheming and I might regret this.

"A-actually...um...you don't n-need to do that," I stammer, fidgeting with my cup.

She perks up, lifting a brow. "Wait, what?"

"Y-you don't need to do that," I swallow. "I, uh...I already...I'm already kinda seeing someone."

Her eyes go wide as her mouth drops open. "What?! You're seeing someone? For how long?" As if her eyes can't go any wider, they do. "Wait. Is this why you've been shooting down me hooking you up all this time? Is it because you..." She covers her mouth, gasping, "You have a boyfriend?!"

I perk up, waving my hands dismissively, panicking, "Shh! Shh! People will start looking!"

She sits up, holding her phone against her chest as a gleeful smile bows her lips. This hits me. I feel horrible. I basically just lied to the only friend I have here, only making me feel even worse. But I was so tired of her trying to hook me up. It's no excuse, but it is what it is.

"Y/N! Why didn't you tell me sooner?" she presses sharply. "How long have you been seeing this guy?"

I scratch the back of my neck. "Um...well...n-not too long."

"Is that so? How come I'm just now learning about him?" she questions.

"U-uh...I was too nervous about telling you?" I swallow.

Honestly, I don't expect this to work. I'm sure she'll see right through my excuse. After all, the look on her face makes me believe that she is looking right through me. Like she's slicing right through my lie. I'm waiting for her to shoot down all that I'm saying but I am met with a surprise.

"Then bring him on a date with Hiroki and me! We'd love to have you guys," she beams. "Please? Just one time, Y/N. Just once!"

Her eyes are begging and pleading me to agree. I can see the desperation in her stare. She really and truly wants me to do this. And honestly, I'm not sure how much longer I can push this aside and brush her off. So, like an idiot, I cave.

With a hardy sigh, I huff, "Alright, alright. Fine. We'll do it."

Her face lights up as she cheers, "Thank you so much, Y/N! Oh, this is going to be so fun!"

She continues to smile and gush over all the things we can do as a group, but I tune her out. My mind is elsewhere. I'm too busy focusing on how I'm going to get out of this. Deepen the lie and say my date canceled? Say he couldn't make it? Say he dumped me? I don't know but seeing her so happy makes me feel so guilty. So, so guilty. All I can hope is that there's a way out of this.

"I'm so excited! I just can't wait!" Hiyori beams, causing the guilt to fester in me.

I just mutter, "Same. Same."

Crap.

**Bello lovelies! Another chapter! This time it seems Y/N has gotten herself into a little jam. Just a little one. Makes ya wonder how she'll solve all this. Any ideas? Feel free to let me know! Thank you so much for everything! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross