Chapter 27: A Familiar Face

Thump, thump. Thump, thump. Thump, thump.

I'm hearing things, right? I bite my lower lip, too anxious to open my eyes. That's not actually his voice that I hear, right? Not him, right? Like, no way in hell...right? My heart won't stop racing against my ribs and my thoughts won't slow. Every cell in my body is moving at warp speed and I must say...I'm not fond of it.

The blood rushes to my face, causing my cheeks to flush a fiery red, burning even my ears. I can practically hear the blood pulsating through my ear canals as my heart slams itself against my ribs with such a foreign force that I'm afraid it'll burst through them. All the while I can feel my soul trying to slip away. All this is happening, but I'm too terrified to open my eyes.

I don't want to, but I have to.

Shaking, I peek open my eyes, my stare drifting up to a very familiar set of dark orbs. A very familiar set of dark orbs that I've seen a million times. And just like the many times I've seen them before, they still cause chills to dart the length of my spine as the butterflies flutter around in my stomach. Even after these last three years, he still makes me feel this electrifying way just by seeing his eyes and hearing his voice.

He still makes me feel this way.

"It is you," he smiles warmly, the sound of his voice sending my heart racing. "Hey. Wow. I can't believe it. It really is you."

I can feel my face heating up, my heart trying to swell. The emotions are swirling and festering within me, but I bite my lip, trying to fight it all back. He just keeps his concentration trained on me, the warm smile bowing his lips. Kindness still floats at the surface of his eyes as it always has, reminding me off what drew me to him.

But I shouldn't be near him.

Fidgeting and trembling, I try to stand tall, fighting my best to keep my knees from buckling. Easier said than done, though. They are shaking, the gravity trying to pull me down. All my body wants to do is collapse and crawl under a rock, but I manage to remain up...somehow.

Anxious, my eyes begin to dart back and forth between him and Seven's entrance. There is an easy escape right there. I could easily dart up into the shop and hide in my office. Easily. But he must take notice.

"W-wait," he pleads, holding his hands up. "Wait. I didn't mean to startle you. I know what this looks like. I get it. But I promise this is all by coincidence." His eyes bore into mine. "I promise."

I wasn't worried about him stalking me. That was the last thing on my mind. I mean, that's not something he does. If anything, I'm more shocked to be this close to him after all this time. Even with the space between us, I can still feel the electrifying force which is trying to gravitate me toward him.

"Y/N," he swallows, "I promise. I'm not trying to make you feel uncomfortable. It's just...I never expected this." He scratches the back of his neck. "I mean...it's really you."

I can feel myself melting into his stare. I'm not uncomfortable. If anything, I'm comfortable. I've always been comfortable around him. There's just something about him that is comforting. Above all else...there's so much that's familiar when it comes to him. All the emotions I ever felt with him...all the smiles we shared...all the happiness and love. Even though it's been three years, it all still feels fresh and new.

"Listen, I didn't mean to frighten you," he sighs. "It was good to see you. I hope you're doing well."

There's a pained expression painting itself across his face, causing a twinge to pull at my chest. He starts to turn, ready to take his leave. Honestly, though I wanted to make my own great escape, I now realize I can't do it. I can't bear to stand watching him leave. Not again. Not after all this time. I can't watch him go.

With my heart racing, I call, "Kaito, wait."

He stops, turning to face me. "Yes?"

I play with my fingers, stammering, "Y-you...you don't need...to go. In fact...why don't we...talk?" I bring my eyes directly to his. "Ya know...if you'd like..."

His face lights up, the life returning to it as he begins to make his way back to me. He takes long and steady strides until he stops before me, his gaze meets mine directly.

"Really?" he smiles.

I flash my own shy smile, nodding, "Yeah. I mean, I don't go on break for another hour, but we can talk then...if ya want. Maybe sit down for coffee or something."

"Yeah. I like the sound of that," he replies. "I'd like that very much."

An overwhelming sense of happiness dashes through me, spreading from cell to cell. I'm more than a little excited about getting to talk to him one on one. Feels like forever since we've conversed.

I beam, "I'll see you in an hour, then."

**Hello my adorably sweet lovelies! How y'all doin'? hope y'all are doing well! If not, then I hope your day/night gets better! That said, what'd y'all think of the chapter? Seems Y/N is excited about a conversation with Kaito. Were you expecting this? Any ideas as to what'll happen? Feel free to guess! As always, thank you oh, so very much for everything! Y'all are amazeballs! Wuv yous!! <3**

-Noel Ross

P.S. "Hands Behind My Back" by my wifey, Amber Liu.😍