Chapter 67: Is This Real?

Liam•

I sigh, letting my breath dissapear into the blowing air on top of the hospital roof. I had no idea what time it was, but based of the black sky and glowing city lights around me I knew it was late by now. When i got up here the sun was still up. I watched it fall behind the city skyline in a cloud of pink and orange hues.

This city is huge. Full of thousands of people. Yet somehow, out of those thousands of people, I was the one with the broken dying friend who had to decide whether he goes down fighting or in peace.

I didnt ask for this. I didnt ask to be the person who held another person's life in their hands. But here I am completley and utterly lost on what to do.

"Liam" I turn quickly at the soft voice

"Hey" I faintly greet annie

She walks up beside me taking in the view before us and tightly wrapping her sweater around her as a strong wind hits

"Its beautiful up here" she sighs a small smile on her pale chapped lips

"I havent made a decision yet" I tell her simply knowing that's why shes up here I'm suppose to have made decision by now

She shrugs not breaking eye contact with the city lights "I wouldn't have made a decision yet either if u were you." She glances at me "it's a big decision.. one Niall shouldn't have put on you"

I feel a bit of the tension roll off my body at her words "yeah.. well he did" I mumble

She simply nods "you know, Liam" she turns to me "whatever decision you make, I'll support."

I shake my head huffing "Not when I make the wrong decision"

"No." She says immediately "No matter your decision I support you. Nialls not an idiot, you and I both know that, and he left this decision to you for a reason." I glance up from my intent stare at the cement ground "Niall trusts you, Liam. He trusts you to make this decision because you know him and will make a decision based off what Niall would want, not what your heart wants. So, when I say I support your decision, I mean it. If Niall trusts you, I trust you."

Unintentional, uncontrollable tears fill my eyes "I cant have his blood on my hands" my heart breaks and tears roll down my cheeks relentlessly "I cant loose him and have you all resent me"

She grabs my arm and turns me to face her "I'm not ignorant, Liam. I know my husband is dying. And no decision you make will change that. If Niall dies, itll be because of the cancer not because of your decision. If he lives, itll be by some miracle, not your decision. This isn't on you. I cant speak for the boys, but I promise, I wont resent you."

"Okay" is all I can manage to get out. I wanted to believe her. I wanted to believe that I wouldnt be absolutely hated and blamed for whatever happens, but I just didnt.

~*~

Harry•

I slowly slide open the glass door to Nialls room in the ICU, trying not to disrupt Louis, who seems to be asleep, with his forehead rested on the white sheets of the side of Nialls bed and his hand gently resting ontop of Nialls forearm.

I glance up at Nialls face. Unchanging. That was the story of Nialls life currently. Unchanging. His position on the lifeless hospital sheets never changed, his face never changed, his vitals didnt change, just stayed at a constant not good but not dead state.

Louis jumped awake at the noise of me sliding a chair over from the corner of the room to be at Nialls side.

"Sorry" I mumble at his frazzled state "I was trying not to wake you.." I sit down awkwardly not making eye contact with him