Ch. 13 Bonding

After a few more moments, I got to my feet with the black dress she had given me. I entered her bathroom pulling the fabric over my body. The bottom edge of the dress brushed my knees as I walked. I exited the bathroom to find my mother waiting for me. She flashed me a smile before we headed downstairs for breakfast. I sat down across from Tom as he stared at me. I knew my eyes were still red from crying. He glanced at my mother asking for permission to mention it but she shook her head taking a seat beside me. A house elf appeared to take my order.

"Can I just get cereal? I'm not really hungry," I said as the elf disappeared and reappeared with my requested food. I ate the cereal but didn't finish it all. I had never been a big breakfast eater and in many cases skipped breakfast. I only ate breakfast this morning because it seemed to be what my family would do together. I didn't want to miss a moment with my family after years without.

"How are you doing Isabelle?" My father asked gently as my eyes snapped up from my food to meet his. I saw warmth in his grey eyes.

"I'm good," I said. That was a lie, a lie almost every person says when people ask how you are doing. You aren't supposed to let people see the damage hiding underneath. Don't tell them about the pain and darkness.

"Can you all excuse us?" My father asked as everyone got up including Tom and left the room. "Are you really good?" My facade crumbled as the question left his lips again.

"I'm trying to adjust to having people love me. It's hard for me to feel love when I've gone without for so long. I want to feel like it's normal to be here but I don't feel it yet," I muttered my bottom lip trembling as I held back tears. "I feel awful that I feel this way and guilty but I can't change it, I'm sorry!" Tears broke free running down my face once again as my father jumped to his feet. He pulled me into his arms allowing me to sob into his chest. He rubbed my back as I cried. I cried so long I lost track of time. Eventually my tears dried and I pulled myself together as he took a slightly step back looking me over.

"You have nothing to feel bad about. This isn't your fault and I don't want you to ever apologize for your feelings. Feelings are what separate humans from monsters," he said as I nodded softly. "Now that we got that settled, I love you Belle! You are my little girl and I'm glad you are home." I gave him a weak smile as he took my hand. "Why don't we get you that gift I have had waiting in my vault for you since you were a baby."

"I'd like that," I said as he apperated us to Gringotts.

"I'd like to enter the Malfoy vault," my father said as the Goblin looked at us with annoyance. I didn't take the look he gave us personally as that was just how Goblins acted.

"Does Mr. Malfoy have his key?" He asked as my father held the key up. "Very well." We walked after the Goblin in silence before we rode with him deep into the bank. He opened the vault going in. Out of respect, I stayed outside next to the Goblin. I would have tried to make polite conversation with the Goblin assisting us but I also knew Goblins tend to be grouchy creatures. If he spoke to me I would converse with him but I wasn't about to bother him. A few minutes later my father exited the vault. We all rode back up to the surface. My father helped me out of the cart before he turned to the Goblin dropping a Galleon into the Goblin's hand. I held my father's arm as we walked out of the bank. Once outside he apperated us home. We sat in the parlor together before he pulled out a black box from his pocket.

"I bought this when you were born but hadn't planned to give it to you until just before you started Hogwarts. I hope you like it," he said to me handing the box to me. I opened the box as my breath caught in my chest. On a thin silver chain sat our family crest. My fingers touched the charm as a loving glow filled me knowing how much my father had loved me before I had even said my first words.

"It's beautiful," I said holding the necklace out to my father. "Can you help me?" He smiled taking the necklace from me. I held my hair up as he clipped the necklace on. The crest hung just below my collarbone. "Thank you." I said planting a kiss on my father's cheek.

"The necklace is charmed to act as a protection. It won't protect you from everything but it will from less powerful jinxes and hexes," he said firmly. "It's also a right of passage for every Malfoy to receive the family crest in some form."

"It's perfect," I said touching the crest while looking at my father. I knew I would never take the necklace off. It was one step closer to feeling like a proper Malfoy again.

"Now that you have that. Would you care for a game of Wizards chess?" He asked me. I grinned nodding at him. He led me into his study before pulling out the game. I sat down as we made move after move. I watched his moves carefully and smirked when he made a fatal move.

"Knight to A5," I said as his eyes widen. "Check mate."

"No one has ever beaten me before," he said his grey eyes flashing up from the board to my blue ones.

"What can I say, I love chess," I smiled at him. He laughed waving his wand cleaning up the game. "I am supposed to return to Hogwarts tomorrow." I said as the carefree joy faded replaced by a tension. A tension felt by both my father and me. I hadn't wanted to mention it yet but I needed to.

"I know but I also know you and Draco will protect each other," my father said softly. I wrapped my arms around him before I walked away going into my room.

(A/N: Double update cause I felt like it. Thank you all so much for reading my FanFic and I hope you continue to enjoy it!!!)