Ch. 25 The Battle Begins

I stood on the hill with my family until Tom arrived. Once he had his eyes instantly found mine. When they did his eyes glowed bright red and I heard a gasp from my mother.

"Isa, your eyes," she said as I looked to her. The piece of Tom's soul must have recognized the person it came from causing the redness in both Tom's eyes and my own.

"I have a lot of power," I told her. It was a fact but not the reason for my glowing red eyes which had faded back to blue after a few minutes. My mother didn't say anything else after that though I was pretty sure she didn't believe me. I walked over to stand beside Tom. "What are we doing?" I asked him as he pulled me off to the side.

"Waiting to see what Hogwarts decides on my offer but did you do what I think you did?" He asked causing me to smirk.

"I was careful," I stated as he sighed. I could see both pride and concern in his eyes. Pride that I managed to hide his soul in my body but concern because I was now an even bigger target if anyone found out what I had done.

"If we go into battle I want you to stay close," he ordered. Normally I would argue but this time I knew why he wanted me protected more than just for the sake of protecting me. If I died his soul could also die with me.

"Wouldn't want to be anywhere else," I said before walking back over to my parents. I felt a pulse of magic rush through the forest causing me to face the school. I rolled my eyes seeing the shield surrounding the school. "Idiots."

"Send in the Snatchers," Tom said simply as Bella rushed off to tell them. She returned a few moments later a grin on her lips.

"My lord, shall we take aim at the shield?" A nearby death eater asked him. I could hear the fear in the death eater's voice causing me to snort. I couldn't understand why so many people were scared of Tom within his own army.

"Begin," he said boredly. I watched as all the death eaters raised their wands launching spell after spell at the shield. I stood next to my mother as she muttered the spell over and over. I looked at the shield in shock as it withstood the range of magical pressure trying to break through the barrier. The shield didn't even have the slightest fracture. I glanced over at Tom raising an eyebrow as I spoke.

"May I?" I asked Tom who nodded. I pulled my wand out muttering the same spell that the others had been muttering. Light flew off the tip of my wand brighter than the other spells crashing against the shield. My spell hit the shield harshly. I felt my power filling every inch of my body as it pulsed growing stronger. The shield cracked bringing a smile to my lips. I lowered my wand as the barrier between the school and us caved under the weight of the spell I had used. "Easy." I said as Tom walked towards me.

"We shall wait here while the rest of you go. Bring me Harry Potter and try your best to avoid hurting the children," Tom told his followers. I frowned but did as asked.

I sat down on a near by rock as Tom stood looking down at the school both of us had thought of as an escape only to learn it was anything but.

"You are the single most important thing in this world to me. You are my goddaughter and I want you safe," Tom said after a few moments of silence. "If it comes down to saving yourself and saving me, pick yourself."

"Tom," I murmured getting to my feet walking closer to him. "It won't come to that. Especially after what you and I both know."

"I still worry for you," he said facing me. His cold exterior had melted into a genuine concern for me. I could see warmth swirling in his eyes as he looked down at me. "I don't have any children but I have come to see you as mine." I closed the space between us wrapping my arms around him. He stiffened at first before he wrapped his arms around me too. "I want you safe and not just because of the horcrux hiding inside you."

"I know and that's why I made myself a horcrux. You care about people and you deserved the same in return," I told him with a smile. "You understand what I went through more than anyone else ever could." He gave me a sad smile before he turned back towards the school. I stayed quiet as he looked down at the crumbling school before he recalled all his death eaters. He then told Harry to face him in the woods.

"Now what my lord?" My father asked once he and the other death eaters had returned to the hill.

"We wait for Mr. Potter to come to me," he said regally. I looked at my mother and I could see the stress in her eyes. It was the same stress I had seen in Draco's eyes before he had seen I was healthy. I glanced at Tom for a moment before my magic transported me to the school. I felt Tom's anger the moment I reached the school. I had disobeyed Tom's direct order by rushing to Draco and away from Tom's protection. Not only had I left Tom but I had crossed into enemy territory alone. It was undeniably stupid but I was stupid when it came to my family.

I looked around the broken remains of the courtyard before I took off running. I had my wand ready in case anyone decided to attack me. I knew I was outnumbered at this point but I needed to find Draco.

"Draco!" I called out as I ran around the school deflecting spells that came my way. Everyone stared at me as I raced through the halls of the damaged school. I managed to find Draco sitting beside one of his friends. I froze seeing the lifeless body of Crabbe beside Dray and the grief in my brother's eyes. I sat beside him taking his hand in mine. Surprisingly no one attacked us as I sat beside my grieving brother. "Oh Draco," I whispered before wrapping my arms around him tightly.

"We have been friends since we were children," he said his voice trembling. "Can you heal him Isa? Like with Bella?" He asked with hope in his grey eyes. I looked over at Crabbe but I felt nothing. Not a single shred to bring back to life. Tears threatened to fall down my cheeks but I held them back knowing Draco needed me to be the strong one in this moment.

"I'm sorry Draco. I can't," I managed to say after a few minutes. I watched his gaze darken as he pushed me away.

"What good are you then? You brought Bella back but not him," he spat. I winced but I knew this was his grief talking. I reached for him trying desperately to ease his pain somehow but he stepped back from me.

"Draco," I started but he ran off. I sighed but decided I should let him go. I apperated back to Tom's side as he faced me with a glare.

"You didn't listen to me," he snapped about to continue when he saw the sadness in my eyes. "What did you see?"

"My brother, he was grieving the loss of a good friend," I said as my mother moved to stand next to me.

"Was he hurt?" She asked me as I shook my head.

"Not physically but Crabbe is dead," I told her softly. I saw the flash of pain in her eyes as I told her which of Draco's friends had lost their life.

"Are you sure the boy is coming my lord?" My father asked Tom diverting from the sad subject.

"I'm right here," Harry's voice rang out. My mother reached forward pulling me behind her as Tom stepped towards the boy.

"How can you stand with them?!" Harry demanded his eyes on me as he spoke. "He killed my parents!"