Chapter 1: Weddings Are Not My Forte

Vancouver; rain city. I grab my umbrella on the way out. I look at the time on my phone. I'm already late for work. I step out of my apartment building, opening the umbrella, and walk down the street. I jog quickly across the traffic lights that are turning yellow, not wanting to wait any longer. I step into the Starbucks, around the corner from my work building, to see a long line. "Damn it." I check the time on my phone again. Boss is going to kill me. "Olivia!" I hear my name being called from up front. I peak around the line to see Tom, black hair blue eyes, holding a tray with two coffees, smiling at me. I quickly run up. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! I owe you one." I grab the tray as he winks at me, then run back outside, everyone in the line basically growling at me. I've always known he's had a crush on me. He's asked me out twice before but I always say no. I'm not interested.

I step into the large building and get in the elevator packed with people, the ones I know saying good morning to me. I head through the double glass doors that a couple of guys hold open for me. "Good morning, Olivia." The receptionist, Molly, at the front says. I nod at her, whizzing by. Her voice annoys the shit out of me. I enter my office and hang up my umbrella on my coat rack. I grab the hairbrush out of my first desk drawer, turning on my computer in the process, and quickly brush my long brown hair. Grabbing the coffees out of the tray, I head to my boss' office. The lights are off and the door is closed. What? I head back to reception. "Where's Jordan?" Molly turns to me. "Oh, she called in sick." I put one of the coffees down on Molly's desk. "Thank you." She calls as I walk back to my office, muttering swear words to myself. I slouch at my desk, checking my emails. I work for a magazine company. I'm not anyone special, just a photographer.I jump when my phone rings. "Olivia Adams." I answer, and then look at the caller ID and cringe. "You're late." Jordan's voice on the other end surprises me. She doesn't sound sick. "I know, I know. I'm sorry." I apologize. She clears her throat. "I just wanted to make sure you read the emails I sent you this morning. I need you to edit an article for me." I choke on my spit. "Wait. You want me to edit an article? But, I'm a photographer, I may not be any good at this." I argue. "Olivia, I know you are. Just do it and email it back to me. Thanks, love. Now, I have to go... I'm sick." I hear her fake cough and then the line goes dead. Great. I find the email she sent me and open the article.

My phone rings again when I'm about halfway through the article. I check the caller ID first this time. There's no name but I instantly recognize the number. "Olivia Adams." I answer. "Olive!" My best friend squeals. "Hey Em. What's up? You don't ever call me at work." I lean back in my chair. "I know but this is important. Remember how I told you about my cousin Richard?" She questions. "The one that's getting married? Yeah." I skeptically question back. Where is she going with this? "Well, one of his fiancee's bridesmaids caught pneumonia and she needs a replacement." Bingo. "No. No way, Emmi." I immediately answer. "Please Olivia! I told her that my best friend would. I'm a bridesmaid. It will be fun!" She begs. I shake my head even though she can't see. "No way. Besides, isn't the wedding this weekend? That's really short notice so, I don't think I'll be able to get the Friday off work." I argue back. I hate weddings. "Come on! Please say yes. I'm not going to hang up until you says yes." There's a silence. "How about if I promise you we can get drunk after the wedding? It will be fun! Like old times." I laugh, remembering how we used to climb out on the roof of our house at college, drunk. I sigh. "Okay, fine. Fine." I finally admit. "You'll do it?" She squeals again. "Yes, I'll do it." I can't believe those words are coming out of my mouth. "I'll pick you up Friday morning. We'll have to be at the rehearsal dinner Friday night. See you then bestie!" She calls just before she hangs up.

Today is Wednesday. I only have two days. I rest my head on my hand. "I can't believe I did that." The next day is more or less the same. I email Emmi my measurements for the dress that will apparently be ready for me when I get there. A marketing goon and I have a meeting with a new company to discuss an ad for an upcoming magazine. Then I end up at home, alone. The last time I went to a wedding, it was my own. I didn't go through with it though. I just had a gut feeling that he wasn't the one. I left an hour before the ceremony was supposed to start, I took the next flight out to California, and stayed there with my uncle for 3 months. Emmi was the only person that I contacted when I arrived in California. She dealt with everything that I was too afraid to deal with myself. She then flew out and stayed with me for 2 months. I could never ask for that from anyone.

Weddings are not my forte.