Chapter 2: I Can't Lose My Cool Now

Quickly enough, Friday morning arrived. I promised my boss that I would send her the sample pictures I took, from the meeting with the new company, today so I packed my laptop in with my clothes. Not long after I was finished packing, Emmi was pounding on my door. "How did you even get in the building without buzzing me?" I question just as she walks in. "Your creepy neighbour let me in," She laughs. "Now let's go! We have an hour drive ahead of us." An hour later, we're arriving at a beautiful hotel, entirely reserved for this wedding. We get stopped by security as we're going to park, Emmi tells them we're here for the Speight wedding and they let us go. "Who are these people?" I whisper, mostly to myself, but I hear Em laugh. We grab our bags out of the trunk and roll them in. The outside of the hotel doesn't even do the inside justice. It looks magnificent. I follow Em up to the receptionist, who gives Em the keys as I continue to look around in shock. "Your suite is up on the 5th floor." I turn around when I hear that. "Suite?" I ask her. The receptionist just smiles and nods. Em laughs and pulls me to the elevator.

A man with longer, blonde hair slides in just as the doors are closing. "Hey!" Emmi squeals and hugs him. "Olivia, this is my cousin Richard. Richard, Olivia." I shake his hand. "Nice to finally meet you." He says with a cheesy grin. "You too." I reply. He looks oddly familiar, but I know I haven't met him before. We get off on the 5th floor. We each have our own bedrooms in the suite. "This is unbelievable, Em." I call to her in the other room. My dress for the wedding lays on the bed. It's a deep reddish burgundy colour. I'm not crazy about it, but it's not the worst dress I've seen. I hang it up in the white wardrobe that matches the bed frame.

I take my laptop out and check my work emails, beginning to edit the pictures I have to send my boss. The afternoon passes quickly. Catered food was sent up for lunch, which was delicious. I finally sent her the pictures just in time to get ready for the dress rehearsal. I put on the black dress I packed, knowing you don't wear the wedding clothes for the rehearsal. The dress has a black mesh lining on top of the black silk. Tight on my upper body, then flowy from my hips down, ending just above my knees. Emmi straightens her blonde hair, as I curl my brown hair, and we jam out to some old music coming off her iPod. She puts on a blue dress, similar to mine but without the lace. "Here." Em turns to me, pulling her red lipstick out. "It'll look good with your dress. You'll stand out." She applies it to my lips. "Now, let's go!" We head up to the 8th floor, where we're greeted by waiters. We're some of the first to get here. I follow Em to the bar, open bar, and we grab a drink. "I'll be right back, stay here." I watch her run up to her cousin and hug him. I take a seat at the bar, my heels already killing me.

I watch everyone slowly enter and take their seats, mingling. I recognize a shorter, older man with a beard immediately. That's Mark Sheppard. I've worked with him before, took photos of him for a magazine. We spent almost 2 days together taking photos. I turn around and face the bartender, who's making drinks for the people now sitting around me. I can't believe I said yes to this. "Olive! Come on, let's go to our table." Emmi pulls my arm from behind. I follow her to the front of the room towards the wedding party table. I immediately notice the bride, the one in a beautiful white sleek dress. "You must be Olivia. Thank you so much for joining the party so last minute. It's nice to finally meet you." She hugs me. "It's no problem. Thank you for having me." I reply. I take a seat at the round table and the bride sits down beside me while Emmi continues to mingle with her cousin. I watch a couple of attractive men approach the table and talk to Richard for a bit, before being ushered to sit down at the table across from me. Mark sits down at the table beside where the groom will sit. Our eyes meet and I know that he instantly recognizes me. He points at me, smiling, then goes to talk with the other guys sitting at the table.

Emmi eventually sits beside me and soon the table is full. The groom stands and says a few words and then we're being served food. It's a pasta dish, which is dangerous, especially for the bride, but it does taste wonderful. "Em, you know that there's a celebrity here?" I whisper to her. She laughs. "Olive, they all are." She whispers back. I glance around the table. We finish the meal and they bring out a white chocolate dessert. "This is heavenly!" One of the guys across the table calls out. "You would know." The man beside him replies. The table erupts in laughter. I look at Emmi, confused. "He plays an angel on tv." She whispers to me. I nod my head, understanding the joke now. We have a 30 minute break between the dinner and the rehearsal. "I'm going to go down to the lobby to get some air." I tell Emmi, to which she nods in understanding. I'm greeted once I come out of the elevator by a receptionist who asks if I'm lost. "No, I just need some air." I tell her. "If you go down this hall, there's a nice patio." She guides me. "Thanks." I continue walking, my pace getting faster as I see the doors. I push them open and take in a breath of cold fresh air. Goosebumps immediately showing themselves on my arms. From the patio I see a stone walkway leading to a gazebo.

The gazebo is lined with Christmas lights, which makes it look and feel magical, especially in the dark. "Hey!" I hear a British man call behind me. I turn to see Mark walking up the stone walkway to the gazebo to meet me. "Do I know you from somewhere?" He asks finally reaching me up on the gazebo. My heels make me about his height. I nod. "Yeah. I took your photos once for a magazine." He touches his nose with his finger then points at me. "That's right. I didn't know you knew the bride. Small world." He smiles at me. I laugh. He's just as flirtatious as I remember. "I don't actually. I just met her today. One of her bridesmaids is sick so Emmi asked me to help out." He nods his head. Before he can respond, a man calls his name. We turn around. Two of the other guys in the party are coming up the walkway. "Hitting on the ladies, Shep?" The shorter one, with brown hair, asks, joking with him. You can tell by his posture that he's cocky. Mark laughs. "We know each other." He elbows me, grinning. The other guys turn to me. I nod my head. "Well, the groom would like to speak with his best man." The taller one with longer hair says. Mark nods. "Olivia," He bows his head at me and then he takes off down the path into the hotel. Wow. He remembered my name. The guys turn and follow him.

The shorter one of the two stops and turns to me, "You coming?" He calls. I shake my head no. He says something to the taller one, who nods, and then comes back on to the gazebo. "Why not?" He asks. I shrug. "I still have 20 minutes until I have to be back there." He smiles. "Not a fan of weddings?" He asks. I shake my head no. I subliminally check him out without even thinking and when I look back up he has a grin on his face. "Me neither." He says. I cross my arms to keep warm. I turn and walk further back on the gazebo. "What's your name?" He asks. I turn to face him, and see he's slowly following me back. "You first." I say. His jaw drops open and he fumbles for words. "Uh, Jensen." He stares into my eyes, squinting. "Olivia." I turn back around and lean on the railing. He leans on the railing beside me. "You have goosebumps." He states. I nod. "Yep." I say laughing. He shrugs his suit jacket off and puts it around my shoulders. The warmth tingles my arms. It smells so good. "Thanks. But you didn't have to. You're going to get cold now." He shrugs. We stand there for a while in silence, looking at the river below the gazebo. He reaches for his phone in his pocket. "Looks like they want the wedding party back in now. Before the other guests get back." I sigh and turn around. That wasn't even long enough. We walk back to the hotel doors together and once we're inside, I take his jacket off of me. "Here. Thanks again." He puts it back on himself. "Anytime."

We take the elevator back up to the 8th floor and he winks at me as we separate. Emmi runs up. "Hey, you okay?" She asks, curling a piece of my hair with her finger. I nod. "Yeah. Just met Jensen." I point behind me. She glances back at him then looks at me. "Yeah you did." She winks and pulls me behind her towards the front of the now cleared room. With only the wedding party left, we all gather at the front and meet the wedding planner. She pulls us all to the back of the room putting us in order of who will go first and last. I'm the last of the four bridesmaids to go before the bride. "Just walk down like normal. You'll all be partnered up." She tells us. The wedding planner pulls all the guys into the line, and it looks like I'll be partnered up with the tall guy with long hair. Jensen, who is standing beside my partner, whispers something to him, gesturing to me, and they switch places, both of them grinning at me. Did he just switch places to be my partner? I want to turn to Emmi but she's on the other side of the girl beside me.

The wedding planner stands in the middle of the aisle they've created with chairs gesturing everyone down. The groom already stands at the front. First Mark and his partner, the maid of honour go down, and then I watch Emmi walk down with her partner flawlessly. Once she reaches the front she grins at me. The girl beside me goes next leaving me and Jensen at the back with the bride and her parents behind us. I meet him in the middle and loop my arm inside his. "Did you switch places to be my partner?" I whisper, looking at him. He smiles. "Maybe." He whispers back, guiding me down the aisle. "You're good at this." He adds. My stomach begins to feel queasy as we walk down. I just keep staring at Emmi. I can't lose my cool now. I know she can read my mind as she gets a nervous look on her face too. We make it to the front and I manage to finish the walk into the line of bridesmaids by myself.

If that was just the practice, how will it feel in front of hundreds of people.