Chapter 4: By The Way

It isn't long until Jensen and I are sitting on my bed watching a movie on the flat screen, eating chicken fingers, fries, and a plate full of raw veggies. I changed into red pyjamas shorts and an old white college tshirt. Jensen took his dress shirt and belt off, revealing a plain white tee. "What was this movie called?" Jensen asks me through chews. "Snakes on a plane." I answer. "It's terrible." He shoves more food in his mouth. "I know. But why can't I stop watching?" We laugh. My phone vibrates on the side table. It's Emmi asking where I am. I text back telling her I got tired and went to bed. I move an empty platter back on the cart it came on. "Are you ready for the wedding tomorrow?" Jensen asks me. "As ready as I'll ever be." I reply remembering I'm not just a guest. "Why do you hate weddings so much?" He turns down the volume on the tv. I shrug, not making eye contact with him. "It's a long, complicated story." I stare down at my hands. "I have time." I look beside me to see Jensen's green eyes staring back. "I was once engaged. We planned a beautiful wedding and I swear I was in love with him. But then the day came and I was all ready, I just needed my dress, and I couldn't go through with it. I left just before the ceremony was supposed to start, didn't tell anyone. Took the next plane out to California and stayed there for 6 months." I look back at Jensen, who's surprisingly not giving me strange looks. "Why couldn't you go through with it?" He asks. I shrug again. "I just had a feeling like I was making a mistake or something. Ever since then, I just can't stand weddings. This is the first one I've gone to since." Jensen shifts on the bed. "That's understandable. At least you figured it out before you got married." He replies with a calming voice. I nod. "How long ago was this?" He continues. "A year and a half now. I just hope I don't screw up this one too." I turn my attention back to the tv. "I promise you won't." I watch him turn his head back to the tv from the corner of my eye.

I wake up wrapped in warmth. I open my eyes to the streaming sun coming through the curtains and then realize I'm wrapped up in Jensen, with my head on his chest. I slowly push myself up turning my head to look up at him. He looks like an angel with the sun coming in on his face. His eyelids flutter open and he stares at me still half asleep. "Morning." I whisper. He just smiles, then grunts, stretching his arms. I sit up in the bed looking at the tray full of empty platters. Jensen leans over to his phone which is the on table beside him. "Ah, crap. I have to go." He gets out of the bed, grabbing all his stuff. I follow him out of my room and into the main room where Emmi is sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee. Her eyes widen and her jaw drops when she sees us. "It's not what it looks like." I say, pointing at her. "Wha-" Emmi begins to say but then stops. Jensen smirks. I shove him towards the door. "You're not helping." I say to him and he laughs. I open the door for him and he walks out then turns to face me as he's walking down the hall. "I'll be waiting for you." He winks. I laugh closing the door. "What the hell Olivia!"  Emmi screeches. "Shut up. You'll wake the whole building." I grab a cup of the coffee she's brewed. "Umm-" She starts again but I interrupt her. "I didn't sleep with him. I didn't kiss him. We weren't naked. We didn't even touch." I answer all the questions I know she's itching to ask. "Then what the hell did you guys do?" She asks a bit more quieter. "We just watched a stupid movie on tv, ordered room service, and then I guess we fell asleep." I turn my back to her looking out the window, trying to hide the smile from my face. "You guess?" She questions. I turn back around. "I did not sleep with him." I point at her. She laughs.

The morning passes quickly once we end up in the brides suite. We eat a light breakfast consisting of fresh fruits and yogurt, and then stylists join us to primp our hair, face, and nails. "I love that bra!" One of the other bridesmaids calls to me when were changing into our dresses. I look back at her awkwardly. "Thanks." I laugh thinking, it's just a white lacey bra with some sparkles. "Could someone zip me up?" I ask holding the shoulder straps in place. The girl that complimented my bra, Jen, comes and helps me. I turn and look in one of the many floor length mirrors on the wall. The dress fits me perfectly and it actually looks good. I still think it's an odd colour though. My hair is curled with the top half pinned back, nails are painted red, and I asked for not so much makeup because I didn't want to look artificial. The bride gives us all our shoes in a fancy box with a little bracelet on top with a note saying thank you. Soon enough we're fitting the bride into her dress. "I'm lucky I haven't gained weight." She laughs as I stand in front of her, uncomfortably close, holding her long blonde hair so they can zip it up. A couple of the bridesmaids tear up when she's fitted into it with her shoes saying how perfect she looks. She looks behind them to me for reassurance. I hold my thumb up and smile at her, which makes me laugh. She does look pretty flawless.

The wedding planner comes in the suite with the brides parents who instantly start crying. You can tell that the father is trying to hold it back though. "Alright girls, you can go. I've got the bride from here." The wedding planner holds the door open for us. We take the elevator to the main floor, where the chapel is, to meet up with our escorts. "You're going to be fine. Just don't think that you're at a wedding." Emmi tells me. I nod my head at her as we approach the guys. She must see the nervousness on my face. "Flowers?" A lady appears out of no where with a box of bouquets for us to hold, giving us each one. The flower arrangement is gorgeous; red and white flowers tied with a black ribbon. "We have 7 minutes ladies." One of the planners assistants tell us as she walks by and into the chapel. "Em, I'm just going to go catch my breath. Mentally prepare. You know." I gesture to the back doors I went through last night. She nods telling me to be back in 5. I step out the doors, into the sun. The air is chilly but the sun makes it warm. I sit on a bench just to the side of the doors, taking deep breaths with my eyes closed. "I thought ya ditched me." I turn my head towards the doors and see Jensen standing there in a crisp suit with a boutonniere that matches my dress. I shake my head. "Just needed a minute." I close my eyes again and then feel him sit down beside me. "Minute's up." He eventually says. I look at him and he's smiling. "You don't need to be nervous." He adds in. "Weddings make me nervous. I just don't want to screw shit up." He raises his eyebrows. "You know, like fall, or trip. Face plant into the cake." Jensen laughs. "I won't let you." He says. "You won't be with me the entire time." I argue. "I could be." He pouts his lips, making a model face and I wish I could take a picture of it. "Let's go!" The assistant to the wedding shouts at us, peering her head out the door. Jensen stands up and puts his hand out for me. I take it, then wrap my arm in his as we walk back to the chapel doors. We get in the line, us being the last ones before the bride. Emmi peers down the line at me with a grin. A stylist comes and fixes a piece of my hair, quickly moving on to the bride. I take a deep breath just as they open the doors. "I won't let you fall." Jensen whispers in my ear. I don't say anything but just look at him and smile.

"By the way, you look beautiful." I feel my face turn red.