Chapter 3: They Don't Need Us There

After about another half hour of the wedding planner running through the plans for the next day, all the other guests join us, resuming the partying. I awkwardly stand in a small circle with Emmi and a bunch of her family that I've never met as she chats away about her life. I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn around. "I got you a drink, love." Mark hands me a vodka and cranberry, smiling. "How'd you know I like this?" I ask him taking it from his hand, and sipping. He holds a cup of whiskey in his other hand. He shrugs, "I guessed." I cringe from the amount of alcohol in the drink. "Strong?" Mark laughs. I nod my head. "Come with me. Meet some people."

I follow behind him across the room to a small group of men, Jensen and the other tall guy standing in this one. "Gentlemen, this is Olivia Adams, best photographer I know." He puts his hand on my back, pushing me forward. One of the guys reaches his hand out, "Jared." I shake his hand, and then another guy, Misha, and another guy, Jeremy, and then it stops at Jensen. He just smirks and eyes me up and down. "Pleasure to meet you all." I stand with them and zone out of their conversation. Next thing I know, my cup is empty. "I'm going to get another drink." I say quietly to Mark, who winks at me. I walk over to the bar and lean against the side without seats. "What're you having?" A new bartender asks me. "Whatever you suggest." I answer, not really knowing what I want. He comes back a minute later with a yellow drink. I turn around to face the groups of people. I can't find Emmi anywhere then I notice Jensen coming towards me. He says nothing as he approaches me, and orders a beer at the bar.

"What's your poison?" He asks, gesturing to my cup filled with yellow liquid. I sip it. "I'm not entirely sure, but it's pretty good." I reply back to him. "Whiskey sour," The bartender says after overhearing our conversation. Jensen's beer comes in a glass. I see his eyebrows raise. "Bottle isn't classy enough." He smirks at me. I look over to the other side and catch the bride's attention. She waves me over. Part of me cringing, wondering what she wants. "The bride is waving me over." I say to Jensen as a way to say bye. Instead, he follows closely behind me. I listen to the bride jabber on about how good I am at walking down the aisle. She's clearly had too much to drink already. Emmi flashes me an 'I'm sorry' look. I shake my head, letting her know it's alright. "What was that?" Jensen whispers in my ear from behind me. I turn around to face him. "What was what?" I ask him back. "That look your friend gave you after the walking down the aisle comment. I notice those things." He takes a drink.

"You wanna go for a walk?" I ask him, ignoring his question. He nods and follows me out of the room, after putting our drinks on the bar. We get into the elevator and just when I'm about to push main floor, he pushes the top floor. I raise my eyebrows at him. "Trust me." He says quietly. I take a deep breath as we wait in silence to reach the top. I follow him to the end of the hall and to a staircase leading up. "Hang on." I stop him as he's a few steps above me. He turns and gives me a puzzled look. I take my heels off and climb the stairs barefoot. "What?" I ask him when he doesn't move but just stares at me. He shakes his head then starts climbing again. It's only a couple dozen stairs until we reach a door. "Wait!" I call out to him again just when he's about to open the door. He turns, "What now?" I smile. "Are we allowed to be up here?" I whisper, feeling like we're going to get in trouble. "Does it matter?" He asks back, looking into my eyes. I shake my head no subconsciously, too lost in his eyes, and he opens the door leading out to the roof, propping it open with a brick.

The burst of cold air gives me chills. "How did you know about this place?" I look off the roof to the forest that surrounds the hotel. You can see lit up houses in the distance. "I've stayed here a few times before." He responds. Snow is falling lightly. "Are you cold?" He asks me as I cross my arms in an attempt to keep the warmth inside me. I shake my head no, smiling at him. "Liar." He says shrugging off his jacket, wrapping it around my shoulders. "So you're a photographer. What's your favourite thing about photography?" He asks, his eyes filling with curiosity. "Um, I love being able to discover and capture the beauty in people. You can capture so many emotions in just one photo." I watch him smile. "I like it too." He replies. We stand in silence for a couple minutes taking in the view. "This is a beautiful view and all, but can we go inside? I'm freezing." I ask him cautiously. He nods, "Oh, of course!" We walk back down the stairs, down the hall and into the elevator. I press the 5th floor button. "Party's on the 8th." Jensen says to me leaning again the wall of the elevator. "I know, but there is no way these babies are getting back on my feet," I hold up my heels. "I just need to get some flats or something."

The elevator dings open and Jensen follows me down the hall and into the suite. He wanders around while I head to my room to dig through the luggage for comfier shoes. I pull out the black flats I packed. "Ahh, this bed is so comfy." I turn around and see Jensen sprawled across my bed like a starfish. I laugh at him. "No seriously, have you been on this bed yet?" He continues. I shyly shake my head no, suppressing my laugh. Why do I feel so shy? "Get on this bed. I'm serious." He points beside him. I slowly lay down beside him, realizing what he means. "Yeah, I can't get up. We're just going to stay here." He says so seriously. "Can we?" I laugh, turning on my side to face him. He looks at me and nods. "Yes we can. They don't need us there." He replies. "Are you serious? Because I would love that. I hate weddings." I ask, and watch him nod. "If you want to." He smiles at me. "Yes I really do." He sits up. "Then it's done. We're staying here." Jensen pulls off his shoes and tosses them on the ground.

"Okay, but I'm ordering room service because I'm starving."