Chapter 20: Get in the Truck

"Thanks for coming to see me today, Olivia. I know it can be hard to take that step." Ava has her hands in her lap as she talks. Deep down I know I need this but in this moment, I wish I didn't agree to this. Emmi's mom stares at me as I nod back. "I don't want to talk about anything you don't want to, so why don't you tell me what's currently on your mind? What are you thinking about right now?" She asks as I sigh.

After therapy, I pull my phone out and see a message from an unsaved number. "Hey Olivia, it's Jensen. What are you up to today?" He asks. It's been a couple days since I ran into him. "I'm going to check out an apartment in a bit, then to my storage locker. What about you?" I send back. I have a productive day, and I'm actually feeling good. It also feels good to be able to talk to someone who I know isn't going to judge me for anything I say. "No plans, was hoping to get together?" He replies quickly.

I get out of the medical building and start walking down the street. I still haven't bought a car. I really should though. "Do you want to come with me to check out the apartment?" I never like doing these things alone. "Sure, if you'd like. I'll pick you up?" He offers. "I'm already on my way there so I'll meet you there in half an hour." I send the address along too. I jump on a subway and head a couple stops to get there.

I'm earlier than I planned so I lean against the fence around the property and wait for Jensen, and the real estate agent renting this place out. I scroll through Instagram. I still have a crap ton of followers from the conference I photographed. Though I haven't posted a photo in years. A black truck pulls up and I know it's him before I even see him. He used to talk about buying a truck. "Hello!" He says as he gets out and walks towards me. "You got your truck." I smile back at him. The sun peaks out of the clouds for a minute and I cover my eyes to look at him. "How are you?" He asks, putting his hands in his pockets. "Ready to view this apartment. Though it doesn't look very promising." I turn and look up at the building.

"Why don't you want to live in your house?" He asks and I turn back to face him. "Theres a young family living in it and I can't kick them out just so I can live there by myself." I explain my reason. "You're too nice." He smirks and I chuckle back. "Just waiting for the real estate agent now." I pull out my phone and glance at it. "Did you drive here?" He looks around. "No, I don't have a car yet either." I shake my head. "I'll take you wherever you want to go next then. Storage locker, you said?" He offers. "You really don't have to." I tell him. "Well you know I'm not going to leave you stranded." He eyes me and I just stare back at him for a minute. "I know." I finally say.

"Hi! Olivia?" A lady behind me says. I turn and see a lady walking out of the building. "Hi. Kathy?" I question, walking towards her. "Yeah! Sorry! Hi." She shakes my hand but looks past me. I feel Jensen behind me. "This is Jensen." I introduce him. "Hi." He says. She shakes his hand too. "Let's go in." She takes us up to the fourth floor and then into the suite. I instantly turn and look at Jensen. He smiles but then tries to hide it. It's a tiny little thing that looked so much bigger online. I'm wondering if it was even this place the pictures were of. After the whole 3 minute tour, she turns to me. "So what do you think?" She asks with a smile. "I'll think about it. I have a couple other places to look at still." I just want to leave. This was a waste of time. "Great! Let me know." She smiles. Jensen and I hurry out of there and into the elevator. "Wow." He says. "Yeah I hated it." I shake my head. "I know. I could read your mind." He smiles back. "Where are the other ones you're looking at?" He asks as we get down to the ground floor. "I lied. I don't have other ones to look at yet." I tell him.

We walk down to his truck and he opens the passenger side for me. "You don't have to do that." I tell him. "Get in the truck." He chuckles back.