Stars

It is that time of the year when the sky cries with shooting stars just for a fleeting few nights and Taylor was determined to not let it go to waste.

"Suuunshiiine." Taylor sang when she heard Karlie pick up the call.

"Yeeees?" Karlie answered.

"Tell me you don't have a plan for tonight. You don't, do you?" Taylor was making puppy dog eyes and Karlie could just sense it. She laughed.

"I don't, why are you asking?"

"Picture it. Me, You. On my roof with blankets, watching the stars." Taylor narrated.

"It's quite bright from the street lights. Let me drive you somewhere instead."

"But still blankets?"

"Yes, blankets."

"Deeeaal." Taylor wiggled her legs in the air above her bed.

"I'll pick you up at 20:00." Karlie ended the call.

Taylor hummed in the seat as Karlie was driving. The ride was smooth, if not for the scenery rushing past the window Taylor wouldn't be able to tell they are moving at all.

Before she knew it they were past the outskirts of the city and the stars were out.

"Alright, this seems like a good spot." Karlie said and turned off the engine.

They took the blankets and arranged them one over the other until they had a comfortable makeshift plush carpet to relax on.

"Much better, this was a good idea." Taylor lay down and observed the night sky peppered with stars. Karlie lay down next to her.

"See... notice the bright star just there.", Karlie started, "If you connect it to these." she gestured.

"You get a heart." Taylor beamed at Karlie before she got to finish the thought. Karlie grinned.

"Exactly."

It wasn't long before they saw the first shooting star.

"Wow they are so fast, how are you supposed to wish for something before they are gone?" Taylor wondered.

"Maybe think of the key word of the wish." Karlie suggested.

Another one rushed across the darkness of the sky.

"Missed it again aaa" Taylor whined, and Karlie chuckled.

"Maybe trying a word at a time so with enough of them..."

They kept scanning the sky and catching glimpses of the stars in their fall.

Their bodies relaxed, no obligations, no meetings, their schedules empty. Karlie could hardly find anything more to wish for. Still...

Wish. She thought with her eyes following the next shooting star.

We.

Always.

Stay.

Like.

This. The last word accounted for, Karlie gazed at Taylor, her eyes glittering with joy. She looked like a child on Christmas morning.

After a minute, Taylor turned, and their eyes met.

"What did you wish for?" Taylor whispered.

"If I tell you it won't come true." Karlie whispered back.

"I wished for us." Taylor thought, but said nothing.

Taylor got closer and hugged Karlie tightly.

"Thank you for this." She said, her face buried in Karlie's hair.

"It was your idea..." She answered, stroking Taylor's back.

"Only partially. Don't sell yourself short." Taylor demanded.

Karlie smiled.

"As you wish."