Nurse

Karlie shook after yet another coughing fit. She felt like she was drowning in freezing water, no amount of blankets seemed to help... And she was supposed to meet Taylor today.

With great effort, she texted Taylor:

"I'm sorry, I can't meet you today, I seem to have caught something..."

It took but a moment for her screen to light up.

"I told you to dress warmer...whyyy world? Please don't take my Sunshine away ~ " Taylors answered.

"I'll be fine. I just need some rest."

Karlie's eye lids were so heavy.... She fought to keep her eyes open to see Taylor's arriving text, but she failed..

When Karlie managed to open her eyes again, the bedside clock showed that she has been asleep for three hours.

A crushing sound came from the kitchen and Karlie jumped in her skin.

"Hello? Who's there?" She called out, then mentally scolded herself.

Right, Karlie, do sound like every stupid horror movie character ever.

Footsteps sounded as Karlie coiled herself deeper into the blankets around her.

"Karkar?" A gentle voice called, and Karlie could feel warmth wash over her. Of course it was Taylor. She had her spare keys.

"Taylor why....aaaaa" Karlie almost fell off the bed. Taylor sat by her side momentarily and threw her arms around her.

"It would have made a good costume for the parade I see haha...." She joked, grinning at Karlie who was still frozen in terror.

Taylor's face was white as snow, with what seemed like blood dripping from her mouth, she wore a nurse's uniform decorated with a belt that held multiple real-looking syringes which held colorful liquids.

It took Karlie several moments to piece her thoughts together. She hugged Taylor back, her heart almost beating itself out of her rib cage

"Taylor I'm sorry I can't go with you. You can still make it if you hurry." She whispered finally but Taylor pulled away to look Karlie straight in the eyes with an uncharacteristically stern expression.

"And leave a patient in need? That would be going against my oath."

"Tay..." Karlie coughed "...only doctors take those." She continued coughing and Taylor rubbed her back reassuringly.

"Well... Oath or no oath. I am staying the night and will do everything to make you feel better." She informed Karlie, face as red as the lipstick she was wearing at being caught being wrong.

Karlie felt too weak to argue and let herself feel the comfort of Taylor's embrace. A moment later, Taylor got up and away from Karlie who was left wishing she stayed.

"I'm making chicken soup so I'll be back in a bit, I have to tend to it." The nurse explained.

Soon, the said soup way cooling on a bedside table and Taylor took one of the syringes off her belt. She held it up to the light and "checked" it for air bubbles before bringing it to Karlie's pale skin.

"This is to help you absorb the nutrients better." Taylor explained and "emptied" the syringe.

Karlie drew in air through her teeth, playing along.

Taylor nodded, satisfied.

She proceeded to spoon feed Karlie the soup.

"I can't Tay..." Karlie argued, feeling nauseated.

"You must! Or the medicine I brought won't take!" Taylor insisted.

Karlie did her best, but in the end managed to eat only half the bowl.

"It will have to do..." Taylor said to herself, reaching in the bag she brought from home for the medicine.

She did her best to keep her nurse facade, but Karlie could tell that Taylor was genuinely worried for her.

Medicine gulped down and few more blankets brought, Karlie felt drowsy again.

"Get sleep if you can." Taylor encouraged her, and so, Karlie did.

Some time in the night, Karlie woke and felt so warm and cozy. It was another's warmth she realized. Taylor was hugging her among the blankets, settling in to hold her through the night. Karlie smiled weakly and pretended to be asleep. She didn't have to pretend for long.

Birds chirped outside and Karlie opened her eyes to Taylor stroking the loose hair strands away from her face.

"Good morning. How are you feeling?" She smiled at Karlie, hopeful.

"I..." Karlie took a moment to feel her body, her fever seems to have gone down, and she wasn't feeling nauseous anymore. "I'm much better. Thank you."

Taylor grinned.

"I'm glad."

She stayed by Karlie's side for the most of this day as well, but the next she had a shooting to do and Karlie assured her she'd diligently take her medicine.

"I'll be going then..." Taylor bent over and kissed Karlie's forehead.

"Good luck. I know you'll do great." Karlie said, making Taylor smile.

"And please you do great at healing today as well, alright?"

Karlie offered Taylor her pinkie.

"I promise"

Taylor intertwined her own finger with Karlie's.

"I'll hold you to it." She let go.

"See you soon..."