Stressed out

Karlie must have sent a dozen messages on Taylor's phone, all unseen, maybe unwanted...

Karlie worried, worried so much something has happened to her best friend.

She then tried calling... no answer.

Her gut filled with dread and her head with ideas. They always texted each other no matter how busy their life got, always knew when they will be seeing each other again.

Did she get hurt and was in the hospital? Karlie didn't know. Was she abducted by someone or something? Karlie didn't know. Was she thinking about life and decided that her time with Karlie was redundant? Karlie didn't know.

Taylor was her very best friend, they would share everything. Karlie thought while pacing her room. She was scared, so scared. Did Taylor decide to leave and make Karlie's life so empty? She was her person, one she would confide in, laught with, sing, dance, and goof around with. Someone so precious Karlie would do everything it took to protect their friendship. If Taylor needed some alone time she would tell her, wouldn't she? Maybe Taylor simply didn't feel the same way about Karlie.

The thought broke Karlie's heart.

All alone and empty, she sat on her bed, thinking of ways to prove she cared, prove that Taylor can count and lean on her...

Tomorrow morning, Karlie knocked on Taylor's door.

"TayTay, it's meee!" She called out when she heard the intercom turn on. Taylor didn't answer but the doors buzzed and Karlie let herself in and headed straight for Taylor's bedroom.

"Taylor here you....woah." Karlie looked around the messy room, everything and anything littered the floor, even some pictures on the wall were crooked. Taylor was on the bed, laying lifelessly.

"Hey..." Karlie made her pass over obstacles, careful not to stir anything. "A penny for your thoughts?" she asked as she sat on the bed beside Taylor, unsure if it would be alright to stroke Taylor's back.

Taylor sat up. Her eyes were rimmed with red and the circles under them was black, against Taylor's pale skin they looked like oil on canvas.

"I'm just...empty. My agent is going crazy with ideas of where I should be and what I should do, but I just can't... I can't even write a single line that sounds right."

Karlie now understood the mess, the frustration behind it.

"Well...A change of scenery might help? I have something in mind if that's ok?" Karlie held Taylors gaze.

"I don't know if I can."

"I'll help you."

It took a few moments for Taylor to agree. She got to her feet, her steps unsteady. Karlie must have noticed because she snaked an arm around her waist and got her to the kitchen.

"Let's put some food and water in you first."

After a light meal Karlie got Taylor in the car. In the surge of inspiration she decided to bind Taylor's eyes with a scarf. The curiosity lifted Taylor's mood by itself and Karlie mentally patted herself on the back for it.

"Are we there yet?" became Taylor's favorite question since Karlie refused to even hint at where she was taking her.

"Almost." Karlie helped Taylor out of the car and into a building. The halls they walked were silent and echoed their steps. Taylor got a nervous. She expected to get a picture of where they were going by sound, but she didn't like how quiet it was...

"Don't worry, I wouldn't take you anywhere bad or creepy." Karlie read her mind.

"Aaand to the left."

"Good day." A male voice greeted.

"We are ready." Karlie said and prepared to take Taylor's blindfold off.

The doors opened and Taylor was suddenly overwhelmed with an avalanche of playful barking, howling and squeaking of toys. She couldn't believe her eyes. what must have been two dozen puppies were freely playing and running around a large room.

"If you would, step over the fence and play with them."

The girls didn't need to be told twice and curious puppies ran to meet them. They were all shapes and sizes. Some with long hair, some with curly fur. All the coat colors one can imagine. And all of them just for Taylor and Karlie to play with.

Karlie's heart filled to the brim with joy as she watched Taylor laugh touching and playing with little rascals. Just about an hour ago she seemed so lifeless and now she was beaming and chatting to the dogs and throwing herself on the floor to receive all the puppy kisses coming her way.

Karlie too started chasing inviting puppies and picking them up, snuggling into their soft furry bodies.

"They are soooo cutee." She seared Taylor call out.

"I know, right?" Karlie was playing with a tiny cocker spaniel pup.

"We have an hour but I don't think we can tire them all out in that time."

"We must not fail this mission!" Taylor mockingly ordered Karlie around.

Some of the pups knew a few tricks already and it was entertaining how some other pups tried to copy them. They had an army of cuddly snuggly wuggly balls of fur. Some really did like literal clouds of white, brown, grey...

"We got one soldier down!" Taylor exclaimed as she saw the tiniest of the bunch yawn. Two adjacent pups yawned as well.

"It's..." Karlie yawned "Contagious."

They gave their it their best shot, but there way simply no way to outplay a room full of puppis and both Taylor and Karlie ended up on their backs as the tiny dogs still played around them. Some occasionally came over and sniffed then licked their faces, making sure the humans were still alive.

Karlie felt Taylor hold her hand and she gave it a comforting squeeze.

"Thank you Kar... I can't even imagine time better spent."

"No problem TayTay. I love you."

"I love you too."