Chapter 17

"We're here... She might be waiting inside now. Hey pest, let's go." I said looking at her while she holds the cat.

"Okie! Cat, be a good cat for Nixium, okie?" She then holds the cat in front of her.

"Meow." It responded.

"Just get inside." I said.

"Can I have a piggyback, Chibi?" She looks at me with her begging eyes.

I averted her gaze and let out a bit of sweat.

"No. Please don't look at me like that." I stated.

"Please? I wanna be on Chibi's back." She said.

"Why must you request that now? Just leave the cat here and enter inside."

"Nixium wants a piggyback." She said placing the cat down and looking at me with her determined expression.

"Is there something you can do that doesn't bother?!"

I ended up giving her a piggyback due to her nagging, seriously, this pest always does what she wants and I'm just letting her do it! What the heck is wrong with me! I'll show her who's boss next time, and she'll regret it.

The two of us entered inside the bakery and saw a lady with short brown hair, standing in front of us with her back facing to us. She seems to be holding something that is color gold.

"Hey, were here." I called out.

The person then turns around and as I expect, it was Hitsugi herself and she seems to be holding a shovel? Why would a person be bringing a shovel inside a bakery? Can someone please explain this?!

"Oh, hello Y/N so nice to finally see you here." She said.

"Before you say another word, why are you holding a shovel?" I pointed at the object she is holding.

"Oh this? This is just a shovel that I use as an accessory, but I guess I accidentally brought it with me." She stated.

"Really? Accidentally? You gotta be kidding me." I facepalm myself.

"Huh? Who's that behind your back?" She points at the pest who I was giving a piggyback.

Her head then turned to my shoulder and the both of them look at each. They seem to be having a stare down for what it seems like forever, finally the staring stopped.

"Hallu!" She waves at Hitsugi.

She was utterly speechless when she sees her wave

She was utterly speechless when she sees her wave. I look of distress was shown on my face.

"I never thought she would be this cute in a close view..." Hitsugi said.

"Yeah no, so can we start already?" I asked.

Hitsugi then bought a few sweet breads and then head outside, I then followed her and she leads us to a nearby bench. I place down the pest on the ground and let her play around. Me and Hitsugi sat down on the bench.

"Now that we are here, let's continue our discussion from last week." Hitsugi stated as she looks at me with her half closed golden eyes.

"You were explain about the presumably extinct animal like humans, correct? Which you said you were also a part of it." I said while I rest my head on my right palm.

"That is correct, and to make yourself clarify it, yes she is one of our kind." She gestures at the pest who currently playing with the cat.

"So can you explain me how you and your kind managed to not get extinct. What more is that why were you going extinct in the first place?" I asked.

"No one knows how it really happened, none of our ancestors told us and passed down the knowledge of it. But all that we know is that we must hide ourselves from you humans." She explained.

"All of this is just making my head hurt. So how many of your kind are left existing here?"

"Probably only a few hundred all together. Some of us managed to blend in the human society without any trouble, like me. Even if my ears are visible, I can try and make it look like my hair. And the girl can too, what's her name?" She asked.

Her name? I once remember her telling our names to each other, but we never actually call each other by our real names. Does she even have a real name? I don't know.

"Me name is Nixium!" She then beams at us while she holds the cat.

"Cute name. Nixium can you come here for a second?" Hitugi gestures for her.

"Okie." She steps closer to us still holding the cat.

Her hands reached her ears which made her flinch, she began to rub them for a bit.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Just trying to make her ears unnoticeable, don't worry it's not gonna hurt." She stated.

About a minute later she finally let go and then I look at the pest to see her ears almost look like it's a part of her hair, her ears used to be twitching often now it's like that.

"How did you do that?" I asked.

"I have the affinity of using a bit of magic. Maybe one of my parents were a Mage." She said.

"So like your blood is of a Mage and your kind?" I asked.

"Exactly." She said.

"Uhh what happened to Nixium's ears?" She starts to hold her ears.

"Don't worry I didn't do anything bad to it. Here have a bread." She grabs one small piece of bread from the paper bag and gave it to her.

"Yay! Bread!" She smiled.

"So cute." She began to squeal a bit silently.

"Hey." I called for Hitugi.

"What is it?" She looks at me curiously.

I then pick up the pest by under her armpits and hold her in front of Hitsugi.

"Can you have her?" I asked.

................

"Hey Von, where's Gideon?" Sven asked him.

"He's out buying us drinks, why?" Von said while sits down on the corner of the room they are in with his hoodie on.

"Nothing just starting to wonder if he's bothered by that time the two of us got our butts kicked by some stranger who was after our target." He said.

"We wouldn't get caught if it wasn't for you acting more suspiciously." Von said to him.

"Hey! It's not my fault we got caught!" He said to him.

"Basically it is your fault."

"Yo, I'm back with our drinks." Gideon enters the room holding three cans of drinks.

He then tosses one on each of them and he opens his.

"Did I miss anything?" He asked.

"Not really just me blaming Sven for making us fail our last mission." Von stated.

"Shut up will you?!" He glares at him.

"By the way, Von. Is your brother okay that you're here with us? I mean, does he actually know that you're a part of an organization?" Gideon asked him.

"No, why would I tell Ron about some information such as this? Plus, I told him that I would be staying with you until I graduate." He said.

"Oh I see. I'll leave you two here for now, dad might be calling for me and give me a task for us." He takes a sip on his drink before leaving.

"Hey Von, you got any mangas I can read?" Sven asked.