Chapter 35

A couple of days flew by and I'm currently in my working place. Today's been quite hectic, more and more customers came to try out our menu. Which is good actually, for the past months all we got are under two hundred customers.

Still have a few more hours till my shift is done. Four and a half hours to be exact, I wonder how the pest is doing right now. Probably fine like always, hopefully she doesn't try and attempt to open the fridge again.

I hate it when she does that. Back to work I go, I spent my last hours of work in serving the customers and cleaning the whole place. As I do, I have a feeling that the eyes of my coworkers are laid upon me which gave me a chill up my spine.

"You sure are working hard today." One of them spoke.

"I always do." I unintentionally gave him a cold stare.

"R-right, I'll go back to doing my own work." He said, his face seemed to turn pale.

"Okay." I nonchalantly responded.

Time passes, and I only have a few more minutes left before I'm off work. I decided I should get ready to head out to call it a day. Entering the changing room and changing back to my normal attire, I look at my phone and it's now time for me to walk back to my apartment.

I informed my coworkers that I'll be leaving and told me to head home safe before saying goodbye. Exiting my workplace, I began to walk my way back home. I feel a little thirsty so I grabbed a can of soda on a nearby vending machine.

It's already dark out here even if it's only 6:30 in the evening. Better get back quick, I pick up my phase and about ten minutes later, I'm almost near my apartment. Sighing, I went back to walking slower.

The whole neighborhood is as quiet and peaceful as always. Just how I liked it. My calm face turned into a confused one once I saw a person standing just outside the apartment building. I walked a little closer and realized it's Gideon. I stopped in front of him and we had a stare down at one another.

After a moment of silence, I'm the first to speak up between the two of us.

"What are you doing here?" My eyes were still glued to his.

"I want to speak to you. This is urgent." He said.

"Again? This better not be about the-"

"It is." He cut me off.

My eyes widen slightly but it went back to normal then turning to a glare that is directed at him.

"Didn't I told you and the old geezer already? I don't need anyone to help me." I coldly stated.

"Referring to our pops as an old geezer, you sure are irreverent." He gave off a small smirk.

"Don't change the topic you've started, plus I don't see him as my dad." I continued to glare at him.

"I'll say it directly now; We will be forcing you to give us the girl to put her into a far more safe custody." He said, not breaking our eye contact.

"What...?" I took one step back from him.

"I am not lying, if I do I wouldn't even bother telling you. Those words came from pops himself."

"This is absurd, you don't have the right to make a choice for her." I protested.

"Believe me, this is for the greater good. If you want to keep the girl safe, that is." He gives me a serious gaze.

"How do you even know this is for the greater good, huh?" I grab him by his sweater, though he wasn't fazed by this.

"Because there are a lot of hidden pernicious organizations that might be lurking around this city as well as the other places and searching for people such as her kind to do gruesome actions to them. Do you think you want that to happen to the girl?" He removed his sweater from my grasp.

I was completely lost at this. Gruesome actions? Pernicious organizations? Don't screw with me, like that will happen. Then again, it might. They're only being generous for some reason, because I'm the son of the mafia boss? They feel pity for the pest?

"... If that's what will happen, then, at least let me think for a while." I lowered my head and slowly walked past him.

"Understandable. We'll be back within a week to pick her up. See ya." He soon disappeared.

I made my way up the stairs until I reached my apartment door. The light from the other side leaked out from the small space of the door, my mind now clouded with the thoughts of her being in someone's care.

Holding the doorknob, I slowly pushed it often and saw her sitting on my bed. Our eyes made contact and she immediately got off the bed and run up to me.

"Welcome back, Chibi!" She beamed.

My disconsolate expression didn't change and I close the door. She noticed my face and became concerned.

"Chibi? Why are you sad?" She asked.

I didn't said anything back. What I only did was got down and sat on the floor, feeling as miserable yet. She sat down in front of me with the worried face still pasted on her face and hold my hand with hers to reassure me but it led to no avail.

 She sat down in front of me with the worried face still pasted on her face and hold my hand with hers to reassure me but it led to no avail