Chapter One

"Mortgages." You mumble under your breath. "Extended mortgages. Extended mortgages can be calculated by taking the portion, multiplying by the rate, and..." You trail off, distracted by voices from below you. "Ugh." With a huff, you make another attempt to absorb the text, but the page's meaning eludes you once more.

"Alright, fine." You snap the book shut. "I'll read this later." Pushing the $600 textbook away, you flip over on your back to stare at the ceiling. Easiest math class or not, Business Math was hard.

Especially, you note mournfully to yourself, as a high school student as well. At the young age of 16, as a straight-As student in your local high school, you'd been given the wonderful opportunity to start taking some college classes early, letting you get a degree sooner.

Unfortunately, this was on top of all your other classes- and you weren't given a choice in the matter. Your parents, bless their hearts, just wanted you to succeed, and had strongly pressured you to go through with it.

Which was how you ended up here, on the floor of your room, head pillowed on a far-too-expensive binder as you pondered the meaninglessness of long term interest on real estate loans.

With a groan, you pick yourself up off the floor and run a hand through your hair. Needs washed. First, though, you drag yourself over to your desktop, seating yourself on the well-worn chair and tapping the mouse to wake it up. Clicking on the browser icon, your eyes stray to the Minecraft icon before you sit back with a sigh to grab your textbook. Math first, Minecraft after.

57 excruciating minutes later, the lesson is over and done with, and you're pretty sure you havn't bombed the test. Now time for a bit of well-deserved mining.

"Y/N!" A shout from downstairs makes you grimace, and you spin around in your chair.

"Yes, mom?"

"Did you eat something?"

"Yep, I ate when I got home." Another white lie, but you don't have the appetite. All you want to do now is unwind.

"Okay. Make sure you turn off the lights soon."

"Okay mom." You turn back to the screen and boot up Mojang's classic. Clicking your way into your single player world, you pick up where you left off - strip mining the area below your base and marking the location of diamonds.

Strip mining, while fairly efficient and simple, is time consuming and dull. Before long, you're back on the surface to check on your crops and animals, just as the sun peeks over the horizon. You take a minute to clear out burning mobs, then harvest your mature wheat and feed the cows and sheep.

The sugarcane is ready to harvest, you note, but as you turn towards the lake your base sits on your spot a figure in the corner of your eye.

Immediately, you turn back - but it's gone. You assume it must have been a zombie, under the shelter of one of the trees bordering the other side of your base. Probably despawned in the instant you looked away, cheeky thing.

You hurry to harvest the sugarcane and turn it into paper, stacking it in a chest to be turned into books and bookshelves later. That fortune III pickaxe is becoming more and more of a reality every day.

That said, this phase of a playthrough is always the most boring. The initial power build-up out of the way, but too weak to take on the End, you're left waiting for crops to grow so you can level up your enchantment table to get diamonds faster and get a full set of armor. After all, it was just inefficient to get them now, with only one drop per block of ore.

Finally, you decide to farm some blazes. More dust for your brewing station is always handy, and you'll need some for eyes of ender. With this goal in mind, and a couple fire resistance potions safely in your inventory, you venture through the portal.

Although it's not a long walk to your marked Nether Fortress, the journey feels somehow off. You've walked this path many times before, but something seems different about it. Maybe that zombie, which you swear you keep seeing right in the corner of your eye.

You shrug it off. Technically, zombies CAN spawn in the Nether.

It's not until you catch a glimpse of the 'zombie's face, however, that you quickly retract those assumptions. Those are not zombie eyes.

Heart pounding, you hightail it back to the overworld. That was Herobrine. That was most definitely Herobrine. You'd never seen him before, and didn't ever expect to. He was debunked, wasn't he?? You pause for a second to check and make sure there's no possibility that another player could have connected. Nope. LAN was off. Herobrine was real.

You've heard the legends before, but, who hasn't? Notch's dead brother, a glitch in the code, a player sucked into the game, you've heard those and many more. Apparently one of them was true. Or you were being very elaborately pranked, but you don't really any many friends who would do that.

You muse over this new piece of info over a stack of steak. Herobrine was real, and was apparently watching you. You've never noticed him before, so either he only just started watching you or he just started deciding to let you see him. The information on what Herobrine actually DOES is scattered, there are many stories about his true intentions. From a godlike griefer to the savior of the world, the legend of Herobrine has many, many sides to it.

...or maybe he doesn't do anything. Maybe all he does is watch you from afar, to add a bit of creepy factor to the game. Maybe he was slipped into the latest snapshot. Honestly, Y/N, you scold yourself. Getting so worked up over a little blank-eyed block man.

You play a bit more, but still feel uneasy. You're sure Herobrine is somewhere in the overworld, just out of sight. If you remember correctly, he can teleport, harness lightning, and maybe shapeshift. And he likes redstone torches.

You continue farming for a bit, expanding your wheat fields for convenience, before finally logging off. It's just a bit too much for you right now. But, you note as you get ready for bed, that uneasiness doesn't go away. You still feel like you're being watched. But the computer is off, and minecraft definitely so. Herobrine, while slightly creepy, is nothing but a few lines of code.

You sleep with the closet light on tonight.

____________

You awake to a soft touch, and let out a confused hum. Is it morning already? A hand cups your face, and you open your eyes, only for your heart to stop beating as they meet the pair of glowing ones inches above you.

"Good morning... my queen."