Chapter Twenty Two

This chapter is too long for me to proofread. im tired.

If you'e enjoying this, consider voting on it! Otherwise other people aren't gonna see it...

____

Bryn watches silently as the other player chops down a tree, turning the blocks of wood into planks and continuing to build his house. A shelter from the monsters that came out at night.

Turning away, he walks back into the thick mist, dragging his stone pickaxe beside him as he makes his way through the sparse forest. He can't see more than a few feet ahead of him die to the obscuring fog, which didn't make way for him like it did the other players. An enemy could be anywhere, and he wouldn't know until he was dead.

A footstep sounds in the trees off to his right, and he immediately takes cover behind a small hill. The mist is shifting, moving away from the source of the footsteps. A player. The figure steps into view, crossing the small clearing before disappearing again. Bryn takes a step out of cover, blank eyes wide with amazement. The player's armor, it was blue. He'd never seen blue armor before.

Bryn follows the stranger back to his shelter, built with grey bricks and wooden planks. Night is falling, so the stranger goes inside. There are animals penned up outside, he can use them for food. His hunger bar is nearly empty. But the stranger... he couldn't let himself be seen, the player would kill him. He'd wait until the stranger was asleep.

Bryn waits in the trees until the moon begins to rise, then edges towards the building. He can hear zombies groaning in the woods, he needs to get inside. The stranger should be asleep. He moves past the animals in their pens, ignoring the ambient noises they make, and eases the door open an inch to peek inside. No one in sight, so he makes his way inside.

There's no sign of the stranger in the first room, but there are furnaces and chests, so Bryn eases one open. There's iron and coal inside, and he takes it, storing it in his own inventory. He checks another chest, and finds a stack of apples. He eats a few of then, then backs away towards the door. He needs to go before the stranger wakes up.

He has a hand on the door before he hears it- a skeleton rattling just outside. He doesn't have armor, he'll die quickly if he leaves now. He'll have to stay until it despawns.

Backing up, Bryn examines the room he stands in. There are a few exits, presumably to other rooms. If the skeleton doesn't respawn before the stranger wakes up, he'll have to hide somewhere.

He explores the shelter quickly. One room has chests and empty armor stands, another has a bed - in which the stranger is sleeping. Bryn holes up in the room with the chests, sitting down in a corner and waiting.

The night passes slowly. He can still hear mobs outside, so he can't risk leaving. Finally, he hears mobs burning in the sun, and gets up to leave, but freezes at the sound of footsteps on wood.

Crossing the room over to the doorway, Bryn presses himself against the wall, waiting for the stranger. He waits for an agonizingly long time, listening to footsteps and the clinking of metal on metal in the other room, before the stranger abruptly appears, stepping past him and opening a chest. Slipping through the doorway, Bryn runs out the door and into the woods. He hears a shout, but pays it no heed, fleeing into the mist.

He needs his own shelter.

___

Notch was going to help you.

Steve had returned later that day with the good news, telling them that he'd be there tomorrow to help them plan. Your husband didn't seem entirely thrilled, but he'd agreed that it needed to be done. So the three of you spend the night there, at Steve's base - you, personally, physically between your two bodyguards on a pair of spare beds that Steve crafted for you. Apparently they weren't taking any chances about you being kidnapped again.

Herobrine continues to act... different. He's still tall, dark, and mysterious, but he acts... happier, maybe. He smiles more, and fights with Steve less. They actually seem like they're getting along now. He touches you more, usually your arm, just simple gestures while he's talking to or passing by you. You don't question it. He looks like he's just getting attached to you.

Around noon, Notch arrives.

You're playing (losing at) checkers with Steve in the front room, with Herobrine across the room reading, when a crack of thunder sounds outside the base. Since your husband can harness lightning, you're pretty used to it, but you turn to find the source anyway - it's a sunny, clear day. You can't see anything out of the ordinary through the windows, but Steve speaks up.

"That's probably Notch." He scoots his chair back and stands. A moment later, a knock sounds at the door, and you retreat to the couch with your husband. You're not sure if it's social anxiety of just a bad vibe, but you'd rather observe "Notch" for a bit before meeting him.

Steve opens the door, and Herobrine flinches, looking away. The man in the doorway is bald with a black beard - just like the typical depiction of Notch - and is about Steve's height, so about 6'2. While his description is unassuming enough, you feel a chill run through you as you watch him greet your host. He has an imposing air about him, powerful, like he could kill you with little more than a thought if he deemed it necessary.

He and Steve have a quiet talk, then he looks up and approaches the couch you're seated on. Herobrine meets his eyes, and they stare at each other for a few moments before Notch looks away and offers you a hand.

"You must be Miss Y/N." You stand to shake his hand.

"Mrs, technically, but yeah. You must be Notch."

"Yes." His eyes are dark, and it looks like he's staring right through you. He glances at your husband. "Bryn. You're still alive." Herobrine ignores him.

Behind Notch, Steve clears his throat. "Come on, let's go to the kitchen to talk."

"Good idea." You pull your hand out of Notch's grip, grabbing Herobrine's hand instead and tugging him up from the couch. He resists you at first, but you give him a meaningful look and he relents. Leading him past Notch, you follow Steve towards the kitchen.

Steve does most of the talking, as Notch and Herobrine give each other the stink eye every time the other speaks. After a while, they seem to at least slightly bond over their mutual agreement that they needed to get rid of Null, and put aside their fighting to talk about how to get rid of him.

Plotting goes on late into the evening, and eventually they agree that Herobrine will attack Null and kill him, then Notch will try to alter his code while he's weakened. He and Steve would stay with you, Steve because he was able to be mind controlled and Notch to protect you in case of aforementioned mind-controlling taking place. Once they were in agreement, Herobrine and Notch leave for the night to go try and seek out their enemy.

You spend the night with Steve again. It's kind of lonely in his base, just him and a few dogs and cats. You ask him about it, and he says he doesn't have the same capacity for loneliness as a real human. He was designed to live by himself in this lonely world. You can't help but feel sad at that, although you're not entirely sure why. Regardless, the two of you have a nice evening, and you go to bed feeling comfortable and safe.