Chapter Thirteen

Strings of ones and zeros become light, then shapes and colors. Grass comes into view, then trees and sky. He looks down at his hands, flexes his fingers. Where is he?

"Welcome, my creation." He turns to the other man, who holds the light of the world in his hands. "My name is Notch. You have been created to defend this world."

"What is this place?" He wonders aloud.

"This is Minecraft, a world of my own creation. You are the hero that I have created for it." He looks around, tilting his face up towards the clouds.

"Who am I?"

"Your name is Bryn. It means 'mountain'. You are the rock upon which my creations will stand on."

"Why?" Notch stops.

"Because that is your purpose."

"But why me?"

"It is what you were created to do."

"Why should that define me? Why can't I take my own path?" The man shakes his head, turning away, and the world begins to fade back into binary. "What are you doing??"

"Putting you back into stasis for further development."

"Why?"

"You are not the entity I need you to be."

"I want to be able to decide my own fate, is that so wrong??"

"You are my creation, and I will decide your fate!"

"No!" The air grows cold around him, and the light in Notch's hands flickers. "I am not your puppet!"

"You don't have any choice in the matter."

"Then I'll make one!"

"HEROBRINE!" His eyes open, and he stares up at the ceiling. Someone called his name.

With a groan, he pushes himself up, glancing around his bedroom. Y/N is sprawled out on the bed, she had gotten so worked up that she had eventually passed out. He'd gone to sleep on the floor.

He glances at the scar on his arm. The wound is fully healed, now, but it will likely ache indefinitely like all the others. Rubbing at the mark, he gets to his feet, and spares one last look at Y/N before teleporting to the Overworld.

He's at Steve's base, the owner standing in front of him in the courtyard. He's facing away, likely hasn't noticed him yet.

"Yes?" The miner startles and whirls around.

"Geez, I was starting to think you weren't coming." He mutters. "Did you find Y/N?"

"I did. She is safe back in the Nether."

"Ah. And you didn't feel the need to inform me?"

"I apologize. I was very busy nearly dying."

"Oh, you too?" Steve snorts. "Well, I actually did die." That explained how he got back here so quickly. "There was- some sort of player, skin totally black, with-"

"Glowing eyes?" Herobrine interrupts. "Gravelly voice? Black fog?" Steve frowns.

"I see you've met."

"He tried to kill me as well. I won, and killed him, but obviously he respawned. He had kidnapped Y/N and used her to lure me to him." The miner grimaces.

"What a silverfish." He pauses. "I don't suppose I can come back to your base with you? Help keep an eye on Y/N?" Herobrine sighs.

"Very well." Stepping forward, he grabs the other man's wrist and teleports him back to the bedroom. Steve stumbles, then glances around, raising an eyebrow at the bloodstained blankets and carpet.

"He really got you, didn't he?"

"He tried." Herobrine steps away from him, glancing at his still-sleeping wife. She must be sleeping soundly.

"Look," Steve caught his attention. "I don't like you. And you don't like me. But to get rid of that- that person? I'm willing to help you out. Truce?" He offers him a hand, and the Nether King eyes it skeptically. He was obviously quite fond of Y/N, at the very least. And as the oh-so-perfect Protector of Minecraft, would he go back on his word?

Herobrine takes his hand and shakes it. "Truce."