Chapter Six

As remarkable as it may be, I actually am rather busy, so... it may be a while till I update again. Not that it really matters, since no one actually reads this....

_______________

This house rocks.

The overworld mansion is SIGNIFICANTLY more interesting than the Nether manor. The grounds are extensive, a large field stretching out in front of it with several patches of farmland and a large barn with several different kinds of animals. Behind the house is a sparse forest, with enough light to keep mobs from surviving during the day but enough dark for you to pretend you're on an adventure.

The mansion itself makes a wonderful survival base. There's an enchanting room with potion brewing equipment, plenty of food in storage, iron and diamonds aplenty locked away in chests, and enchanted weapons hung in item frames. Manfred told you that Herobrine had built it.

Manfred the Enderman shadows your every move, but stays at enough of a distance that you can fool around as much as you want. He helps you harvest and replant crops, and teaches you to ride one of the saddled horses in the barn. You already feel so much less lonely.

The world is, you soon learn, Minecraft. You chop down a tree with your bare hands by rapping your knuckles on it, one part at a time. The pieces shrink down enough to carry once they drop, and you don't really know what to do with them, but you're proud of yourself regardless. For the first time in this Godforsaken place, you were actually having fun.

You stay at the mansion for a couple of weeks, enjoying the sun and the simple life. You spot Herobrine a couple times, stalking you, but he never bothers you so you don't really care.

And then one afternoon you're just chilling in a field, your (which is to say, the one you decided is your favorite) horse beside you, when he arrives. Manfred is nearby, but not near enough to bother you. The sun is shining, and you're enjoying that sweet, sweet vitamin D. Your horse nickers, and you absently stroke his muzzle. You're almost drifting off when you hear the voice.

"Y/N?" Your head pops up at the sound, and you see a man in front of you, still in enchanted diamond armor.

"Steve!" You exclaim. Instantly, Manfred is behind him, letting out a garbled scream as he knocks the man to the ground. "Manfred, no!!" You screech as Steve tumbles before drawing his sword. "Don't fight!" Manfred lets out a string of snarled words, which probably means something along the lines of 'I'm gonna kill him, it's my job'. "Manfred!" You protest, and he stops to look at you. "He's just gonna kill you! Don't fight him!"

"Friend of yours?" Steve nods to the Enderman, and you shrug.

"Bodyguard, mostly. Manfred, I'm just gonna talk to him, okay?" Your caretaker snarls, but takes a couple of steps back. Steve gives him a wary glance.

"You okay, kid?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." You scramble to your feet, brushing the grass off the seat of your pants. "Herobrine sent me here because I was getting sick in the Nether. What are you doing here? How'd you find me?"

"I found this place a long time ago and marked it on my map, but Herobrine chased me off for trespassing, so I assumed it was it was his. When I returned to his Nether fortress and didn't find you, I decided to check here next." You frown.

"Why'd you come back?"

"I don't like Herobrine any more than you do. I-" He glances at Manfred, who's making angry Enderman noises. "I wanted to bring you back with me."

"Thanks, but... you don't have to. It's fine." You heave a sigh. "Whether I'm with him or with you, I can't go home, so..."

"Home?" Steve blinks. "Where are you from? I can try to get you there."

"You can't. It's... it's a long story." Manfred is still glowering, but you say anyway, "Wanna come in? We can talk about it over a cup of tea."

"Tea?" Steve snorts a laugh. "At Herobrine's house?"

"Sure, why not? It's surprisingly well-stocked."

"Well, how can I refuse an offer like that?"

Steve sets down his teacup and clears his throat. "So. From another dimension, huh?"

"Yep." You confirm miserably. "Stolen from my home and my life, and I still don't really know why." To your left, Manfred eats a single sugar cube.

"Well..." Steve stirs his tea absently. "The only way other than him that I could think might be able to bring you back is Notch."

"Notch?" You echo. Notch sold Minecraft to Microsoft a long time ago - assuming this was a game, and not just a really weird dimension that happened to strongly resemble Minecraft.

"Notch controls this universe. Some say he's related to Herobrine, but he's never confirmed or denied this."

"Is he more powerful?"

"I think so, but I've never seen them directly oppose one another. They both seem pretty content to leave the other well enough alone. But, after this..." Steve shakes his head. "He might have a problem with people being stolen from another dimension to become unwilling brides."

"I should hope so." You grumble. "So, do you... have contact with 'Notch'?"

"Not really... he's approached me before, but I don't have any foolproof way to get his attention." Steve leans his elbow on the table. "But I'm sure I'll be able to contact him. Don't worry, I'll get you out of here."

"Great. Manfred, can you not tell my husband about this conversation?" You ask, turning to your babysitter. The enderman looks up at you and silently shoves another sugar cube in his mouth. "It's not that I dislike him, at least not very much, I just like my old life a lot more." You elaborate. Why are you trying to explain your motivations to an Enderman? Steve drains the rest of his cup, then stands.

"Well, thank you for the tea. I should get out of here before-" He wrinkles his nose. "Before your husband comes back."

"Yeah." You push your chair back. "Just... don't forget to come back, okay?"

"I won't, kiddo. Don't worry." He smiles, then leaves the room. You and Manfred make eye contact before you instinctively look away, and he mutters something in reverse.

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Hush." You roll your eyes at him, then start to collect the dishes and clean up the table.

"This can't go on much longer." The skeleton archer rattles out, ribs clicking together as he speaks. "We need more soldiers. He's too strong."

"?woh tuB" An Enderman responds. ".hturt eht fo meht ecnivnoc ot meht ot teg t'nac eW .bmuht sih rednu meht fo ynam oot sah eH"

"For now, maybe." The skeleton muses. "We need a figurehead. Someone to lead our troops."

"Who?" A zombie groans. "Not me."

"No, not you." The skeleton agrees. "Who of us is strong enough to lead? What use is a king who can be killed with a single blow?"

"It seems you are in need of assistance." A sudden voice echoes through the cave, and the mobs look around in vain for the source. "Perhaps I can help you."

"?!ereht s'ohW" An Enderman screams into the darkness.

"Only a curious ally." Against the wall, hidden in shadows, a pair of glowing eyes open. "One who matches your enemy's power."

"Who are you??" The skeleton asks, drawing his bow. "Why should we trust you??"

"Do you have any other choice? You are losing this war." The stranger scoffs. "You need me, and I need an army."

"...fine." The skeleton glances at his allies. "I don't see why not."

"Good." The stranger steps forward, out of the shadow, but his body is pitch black. "My name is Null, and I will be the winner of this war."