Chapter Twenty One

You wake up to darkness and a pounding headache.

You groan, reaching up to grab your head, but a hand takes yours and your eyes fly open.

"You're awake." Herobrine's face is right above you, and you blink before glancing around to take in your surroundings. You're in a wooden room, lit by glowstone torches and some sea lanterns. You glance down at your shoulder, the pain in which has been reduced to a dull ache, to find the giant hole in it gone. Apparently you were saved?

"Wha' happened?" You ask, your words slurring together slightly. "Where are we?"

"We're in Steve's base. I brought you here after I found you bleeding heavily."

"Ah, yeah." You pull your hand away to rub your aching forehead. "Agh, my head hurts bad. That's not fair, I didn't even get hit in the head."

"Likely from blood loss." He brushes your hair back before lifting his head, glancing at the door. "What happened to you?? You nearly died."

"I nearly died?? You were- Null was this close to finishing you off!" You hold your thumb and index finger half an inch apart. "At least he wasn't aiming for me!"

"Y/N, tell me what happened." He turns to face you again. "I don't remember much past Null reappearing and attacking me. How did we get where I woke up? How were you injured?" You frown, shifting to pillow your head on his shoulder.

"I think you must've teleported us, but, uh, from the beginning, Null came back and started fighting you, and he disarmed you, you were acting really tired and he got a couple hits on you. He knocked you down and you didn't move, so I threw Manfred's pearl-" Your voice catches and you cough to clear your throat. "And teleported between you, trying to block him with the sword I grabbed earlier. It didn't work too well."

"Clearly not. Y/N-"

"Wait, hang on, I'm not done." You interrupt. "He hit me, and I fell, I think on top of you, and you teleported us away. I bound my arm and tried to wake you up, but you... wouldn't. So I fell asleep." You stop. "Now I'm done."

"Y/N, that was incredibly risky. He could have killed you, easily."

"He was about to kill you!"

"That doesn't matter, you should have stayed where you were and-"

"-and just die after you were dead??" You interrupt. "Even if he let me go, I wouldn't have survived long. I can't fight, and I didn't have any armor. I'd get killed by mobs or starve to death, and that's only if Null didn't kill me on the spot." Your husband is silent, and you continue. "Manfred's dead, Steve was Null's puppet, and there's no way he would find me before I was killed. You're the only one who can keep me safe. I need you."

Herobrine doesn't speak for a few, long moments, then pulls you close and buries his face in your shoulder.

"Thank you." He says as you freeze, his voice muffled slightly by your shirt. "For saving my life." You hesitate, then wrap your arms around his neck, closing your eyes and resting your forehead on his shoulder. Neither of you move for a little while, and you press your head into the crook of his neck, listening to his pulse. He's alive. He's safe.

For now, everything was okay.