Chapter Twenty Five

With Null gone, you can go home.

...not back on Earth, not to your real home. Herobrine doesn't mention it, so you don't bring it up. You feel like he'd be even less likely than before to put you back now, since he's gotten attached to you.

But since Null is trapped, his army disperses, and a bunch of them go back to following Herobrine. He takes you back to his mansion in the Nether, which is in ruins, but with the help of the Endermen it gets rebuilt fairly quickly. Notch vanishes for a little while to rewrite some mobs, and Steve hangs out at your mansion for a few days while you settle back into not constantly having to run for your life.

You move back into your old room, which is slightly worse for wear due to creepers, and go back to your old routine of doing nothing all the time. Herobrine spends a lot more time with you, mostly because he doesn't have to worry about defending his life anymore.

But it's still not like it used to be. Not with Manfred gone.

You're not really sure what's going to happen to you. Herobrine admitted a while ago that using you as a playing piece hadn't worked out, and now even if it had, there was no need for you. You feel lost, and lonely, even with Steve and Herobrine spending time with you. You like them both, but you're getting homesick again. You miss your parents and friends.

What were you supposed to do with your life now?

"I've reworked every mob's AI, and restored an old version of Null - with some added failsafes to keep this from happening again." Notch reports. "Null should have no control over this world now."

"Very good." Herobrine tightens his fingers almost imperceptibly around your hand.. "His armies have already began to break up, and should not have any influence on the player base."

"I assume Steve has returned to his duties?"

"If by that you mean returned to his base, then no, not yet." Herobrine responds. "And I assume you will return to your own hideout soon enough?"

"Shortly, yes." Notch straightens up, crossing the room towards the table you and your husband are seated at. "I've noticed that the two of you seem to have come to an agreement."

"We have no reason to fight. Our battle was born from misunderstanding, I see no reason to continue it now that we have a chance at peace."

"I see. In that case..." Notch holds out a hand towards him. "As long as we are not bothering the other, I see no reason for us to be enemies, B- Herobrine. Allies?" Herobrine stares at the hand for a few moments, then finally nods, pushing his chair back and letting go of your hand as he stands to take it..

"Alli-"

Herobrine is cut off as a flash of light hits him, and he's thrown backwards across the room into the wall.

"HEROBRINE!" You cry out, shoving your chair back and scrambling to his side. His hand is scorched where Notch had touched him. "What did you do?!" You demand, whirling around towards Notch - only to find him standing over you, a sword in his hand.

"Move out of the way."

"No, what the ****?!" Herobrine grabs your arm, and the two of you teleport to the other side of the room, away from Notch. Herobrine gets to his feet, pulling you up with him, but his hands are shaking.

"I never should have trusted you." He growls.

"No, you shouldn't." Notch's voice is just as cold as when he was speaking to Null, and you shiver. "I'm surprised you did at all."

"Get out of my house."

"I don't think I will." Notch appears in front of you in a burst of golden light, and you press yourself into Herobrine's side with a yelp. Your husband wraps one arm around you and lifts up the other, electricity glowing in his palm. A warning to back off. Notch doesn't even flinch, swinging his sword at Herobrine's head, and he teleports away with you just in time.

"Get out, now." He shoves you towards the door, and you stumble to catch your balance.

"Wh- no, I don't want to-"

"It will be easier to fight him if I don't have to worry about you getting hurt." You hesitate, then whirl around to leave, only to run straight into Notch behind you. He grabs your shoulders, and a scream rips itself from your throat as white-hot pain overwhelms your senses.

"Notch!" The hands abruptly leave your shoulders, and you crumple at the sudden lack of support. You hit something soft, and immediately the floor shifts underneath you. "You are a hypocrite and a liar!!" Herobrine is shouting. "You claim to work for the good of your beloved players, and yet you attack one who has done nothing to you!!"

"The needs of the one are outweighed by the needs of the many." Is Notch's response. "If she must die to get rid of you, then so be it." Tears spring to your eyes at the realization that Notch can and will kill you.

"Y/N!!" A yell comes from the doorway, and you blink up through your tears to see Steve standing there, eyes wide with horror. "Notch, you aren't- you didn't-"

"Bryn has been allowed to gain power for too long." Notch gestures to your husband with one glowing hand. "It's time to put an end to him."

"No, Notch, listen!" Steve runs into the room, placing himself between Notch and the two of you with his arms outstretched to either side. "Please, you don't have to do this. He won't hurt anyone. And Y/N is a kid, you can't just-!"

"Eclipse." Steve freezes, and his arms fall to his sides. You stare. What just-?! "Eclipse." Notch repeats, and Steve shifts, lifting his head and looking around the room. His mouth opens, then closes, and finally he speaks.

"Who are you? What is this place?"

"STEVE!" You cry out, causing him to whirl around in surprise at your voice. "You son of a- What did you do?!"

"My name is Notch. I am the creator of you and this world." Notch points to you and your husband. "Those two are a danger to this world, which you are sworn to protect. Kill them."

"Very well."

"No, Steve, please-" You stammer out through the tears, which begin to escape down your cheeks as Steve draws his sword and starts towards you. "Please, we're your friends, please-" The room vanishes, and Herobrine scoops you up in his arms, standing up and striding down the hallway you find yourself inside. "Wh-what-"

"It's okay." His voice is uncharacteristically soft. "I won't let them hurt you any more."

"H-he did something, did he erase his m-memories??"

"I don't know. It looks like it." Your vision blurs with tears once more, and you try to muffle a sob. "I'm sorry."

A flash of light blinds you for a split second, and suddenly Steve is in front of you, charging down the hallway with his sword drawn. You can only manage a strangled cry before a bolt of lightning strikes him and he dies, green and yellow sparkles floating down to the ground. Herobrine keeps walking.

"Wh-where are we-??"

"Notch can track us anywhere in this world." Herobrine's voice is barely over a whisper. "I'm taking you to safety."

"Wh- what's-"

"Stay quiet. You're hurt." You can still feel the aftereffects of the scorching feeling on your skin, but the worst pain is the one in your chest. Steve was gone.

Herobrine carries you up a flight of stairs, then shifts you to his shoulder as he leans down and takes a potion from a chest. He drinks it, then tosses the bottle away and lets it shatter on the brick floor. "This may feel a bit odd." He warns you, then wraps both arms around you, and you bury your face in his shoulder as a roaring noise sounds in your ears.

The roaring stops, and the air feels suddenly cooler. Blinking the tears from your eyes, you lift your face to see where you've gone. Daylight shines through glass windows onto a carpeted floor, illuminating a discarded textbook with a fine layer of dust atop it.

Business math.

Your room.

You were home.