Chapter Ten

shh it was a joke chapter shhh
___________

"The calm before the storm." Herobrine murmurs, hands meeting behind his back as he watches through the window. In the courtyard, several floors below, an Enderman is handing out weapons and armor to the zombie pigmen and wither skeletons. Several ghasts are being outfitted with handling harnesses, and others are being fastened with leads to posts along the path up to the manor.

It's only a matter of time, after all, before the army comes here.

He can hear animated voices coming down the hall, from Y/N and Steve. His wife, she seems happy with him. Far more than she is in his own presence.

Jealousy bubbles up inside him, but he shoves it back down. He has no time to lose sleep over Notch's 'perfect' creation. And, granted, the miner had so much more time to spend with her than he did.

Turning from the window, Herobrine starts down the hall in the direction of the voices. He really did wish he had the time to treat his queen better, but regrettably, at the moment he has no time to do anything but prepare to defend his manor. At this point he almost wished he hadn't taken her in the first place.

Obviously she had not changed his circumstances, and now she had been needlessly placed in danger. When this war was over, he would return her to her world, but at the moment he couldn't spare the power.

It was... nice, to have her here, though.

Herobrine rarely had contact with players, the little he did with them being to occasionally watch their avatars from a distance. Living with one, especially one like Y/N, who was by no means passive and quite vocal about her opinion on her fate... was very interesting. Unlike Steve, Alex, or even Notch, she was real. Unpredictable. Human.

And far more vulnerable than he was.

Herobrine rubs a scar on his wrist, feeling the shattered bones beneath it grind together. While he was powerful, very much so, he was painfully mortal. Since Notch cut him off from the game's source code, he no longer has the ability to respawn. He is, effectively, a hardcore character.

This was the secret he has struggled so hard to conceal. If Notch knew of this, he would have him killed in an instant. Unfortunately, it had slipped out to the mobs, who now scorned him. His failing grasp on his armies was the only thing keeping him alive, if the world knew he was mortal he would be dead in a day.

An Enderman appears in front of him, and he stops in his tracks, looking up.

"!derfnaM" He exclaims. "?deneppah tahW ?neeb uoy evah erehW"

".ymra gnisoppo eht fo redael eht yb derutpac saw I" Manfred responds. ".ereh kcab detropelet dna tuo deppils I tub ,os od ot em gnicrof fo sepoh eht ni deppart em tpek eh dna ,mih rof yps a eb ot em detnaw eH"

".thgirla er'uoy hctoN knahT" Herobrine touches his arm before stepping past him. ".uoy tuoba deirrow neeb sah N/Y ,emoC"

".llew yreV" Manfred follows him down the hallway, footsteps almost inaudible on the tile. Herobrine steps into the room at the end, catching Y/N and Steve's attention, and speaks.

"Y/N, look who just arrived." Manfred appears next to him, and Y/N's face lights up as she lets out a delighted gasp.

"Manfred!" Herobrine cracks a smile at her joy as she scrambles to her feet, careening across the room to wrap her arms around the Enderman's waist. Manfred sighs and pats her head, saying,

".dlihc ,wonk I" She just grins.

Then the pair vanishes in a flash of purple.

The two remaining men immediately lock eyes on one another, before determining the other had nothing to do with Y/N's disappearance and looking back at the spot where she was before she vanished. Clenching his fists, Herobrine teleports, first to her room, then around the manor to other places the two might frequent in an attempt to find her. Nothing. Finally, he teleports to his overworld mansion - which is now a smouldering ruin. Still nothing. Where did he take her?!

He teleports back to the room to find Steve on his feet, sword drawn, and hastens to say,

"I have nothing to do with this. Manfred took her."

"Took her where?!" The miner demands.

"If I knew that, do you not think I'd be there already??" Reaching out, Herobrine grabs his wrist and teleports them both to the overworld. "I know you care about her. Search for her. If you need me, call out. I will hear you." And he teleports again, to thousands of blocks away, before Steve can respond. If Manfred had turned on him-!

Seeing no sign of the army, he teleports again, to the top of a mountain, and freezes at the sight of a huge cloud of darkness. The army's shield from the sun. If Manfred had gone rogue, he would have brought her here.

Teleporting back to the manor, Herobrine sheds his light armor and takes a potion of Invisibility. Without it, it was suicide to try and walk directly into their camp.

Teleporting back, he downs the potion and approaches their camp. Eight minutes is all he has. He has to find Y/N and get out before time runs out.

"Let me go!!" You screech, struggling against the skeletons holding you. "Manfred, c'mon, what's going on?!" The Enderman ignores you, focused on a totally black figure with glowing eyes that stands beside him.

"She doesn't look like much." The figure comments. "Lock her up. And stay on alert for his majesty." The skeletons drag you away despite your thrashing, and toss you into a hole dug in the ground. You tumble in the dirt, not hurt, but the sides too high for you to climb out. Biting your lip, you look up at the black fog above you. The army that was fighting your husband.

Wrapping your arms around yourself, you huddle up in a corner. Manfred... he'd disappeared because he'd joined them?? Why would he do that?!

An Enderman's shriek startles you, and you look up to see Manfred tumble into the pit with you. His wrists are bound with what looks like spiderwebs, and he snarls something up at whoever had shoved him in.

"Oh, I know. But at the very least, you can keep an eye on her." The jet-black man turns and walks away from the edge, and Manfred turns to you. He mumbles something in backwards. He seems remorseful.

"Manfred, what happened?" You ask. "You're not on his side, are you?" The Enderman shakes his head. "Did he make you do it?" A nod. "Oh." You hesitate, then crawl over next to him, sitting up against the wall next to him. "I thought you were dead, I'm glad you're not." You blurt out. Manfred pauses, then reaches over with his bound hands and pats your head.

".ereh fo tuo uoy teg ll'I" he tells you quietly. You don't understand, but you nod.

"Okay."