Chapter Nineteen

Herobrine whirls around to block it, sparks flying as his blade scrapes against Null's, and you jump at the screeching sound that echoes through the cave. Neither of them even hesitate, though, Null wasting no time and drawing another sword to use as Herobrine slashes at his stomach. He's faster, you note, than the last time you watched him fight Null. Maybe because they weren't surrounded by mobs anymore.

Then you remember, and peer up into the darkness of the cave. Sure enough, there are skeleton archers lurking in the shadows, watching the fight below them. You open your mouth to warn him, but hesitate. What if you distract him and he slips up? Null's almost as fast as he is, even one mistake could mean his death. You have to wait until the fight's died down a bit.

Herobrine's fighting with his pick again, and as you watch he manages to disarm Null of one of his swords - which skids on the ground and lands by your foot. Hesitantly, you reach down and grab it. The handle is freezing, but you want to have a weapon, just in case.

Null draws another sword - what the heck, how many is he carrying? - and continues fighting, swinging blow after blow at your husband, who is struggling to keep up, backing up towards the lava. His pickaxe isn't as good as a sword for blocking attacks.

One attack slips past his pick, and he stops it with a block of obsidian in his other hand, but the movement throws him off balance and he slips on the edge of the platform, nearly falling into the lava. You cover your mouth with your hands as Null swings, slamming the hilt of his sword into Herobrine's head and knocking him backwards towards the lava.

And then Herobrine teleports behind him, kicking him into the lava instead.

You let out a huge breath as Null falls off the platform, whirling around and throwing an Ender pearl at the far wall just as he hits the lava. He drops back onto a ledge, smoke curling up from his scorched body, and pulls out a pink potion. Regeneration, maybe?

"Getting tired?" Herobrine mocks, lifting his pick towards him as he drinks it.

"Hardly." Lifting a hand, he snaps his fingers, and you remember the skeletons just as arrows begin to rain down from the darkness.

"Herobrine!" You yelp, but he's already vanished, and you look up to see a skeleton crumple off its' platform to shatter on the rock below. He teleports to the next, and Null looks up as his backup plan is destroyed, one by one. He appears to think for a second, then glances at you.

"Shoot her."

Quickly, you lift the sword to try to defend yourself as the skeletons turn in your direction, firing at you without missing a beat. Herobrine appears in front of you, striking one arrow out of the air, but the next lodges itself in his shoulder and he takes a step back to catch his balance.

"Get back, into the tunnel." He orders, and you scramble to your feet, retreating back into the darkness. An arrow pings off the wall next to you, and you stop short at the sight of more skeletons coming down the tunnel towards you.

Arms wrap around you from behind, and you teleport to one of the ledges the skeletons had been standing on, Herobrine setting you down against the wall before he disappears again. Curling up against the stone, you make yourself as small as possible, trying not to be a target.

"I said shoot her, ******, why do I keep you around?" Null complains, followed by the sound of metal on metal. The skeletons are gone, at least the ones on these ledges, and you creep to the edge of your platform to watch the fight. The height sends a rush of adrenaline through you, but you can't pull yourself away. At the very least, you need to make sure your husband is okay.

The arrow is gone from his shoulder, you note, blood staining his shirt, and he's duel-wielding a sword and pick now. Null is backing him up towards the lava again, but Herobrine doesn't look concerned. He can just teleport out, after all.

When is this going to end, you wonder? Backup isn't coming, not for you, and Null has plenty of mobs if he needs them. Not to mention he can just respawn. You and Herobrine really just need to get out of here, maybe regroup somewhere, find Steve, contact Notch for help. You two can't kill him on your own.

On the ground, Herobrine stabs Null through the heart, and the black creature disappears in a puff of smoke and yellow sparkles.

You breathe out in relief as your husband lowers his sword, sheathing it and looking up at you. You give him a thumbs-up, and he gives you a small smile in return.

"Stay there." He instructs, then disappears. You make your way back against the wall, still clinging to the black sword. You're not entirely sure where he's going, maybe to finish off the remaining mobs, but you're not taking any chances when he's not in sight.

After a few minutes, you hear footsteps echoing down the tunnel, and peek down to see your husband entering the cavern again.

Followed immediately by Null, sword poised to strike.

"Hey!" You yelp, and Herobrine swings around just in time to block the blow. Null follows up with another strike, knocking the pick out of his hand. Herobrine draws his sword, but in the next second he's disarmed of it as well. Slipping past the next strike, he slams his hand into Null's back, and thunder echoes through the cave as the black creature is thrown several feet by a lightning strike.

Herobrine teleports to his pick, reaching down to grab it, but Null appears behind him and your husband throws himself out of the way just in time to avoid being beheaded. On his back, Herobrine is forced to grab Null's sword as his opponent stabs at his heart, the blade biting into his hands as he shoves it to the side and electrocutes Null with bloody hands.

Your heart is thudding in your chest as you watch your husband stumble back, wiping one hand on his shirt before retrieving his weapon. He's going to lose. He's going to die. He needs to get out of here.

"Getting tired?" Null taunts, and Herobrine lets out a breath.

"Hardly."

"Good. Wouldn't want this to get boring." Null approaches again, and Herobrine raises his weapon preemptively, but his pickaxe is knocked out of his hand by the first blow. He's tired. He lifts his hand, lightning dancing around him, but Null ignores it, slashing at his chest and slicing open his shirt. He's going to lose.

Herobrine teleports back a couple of feet, guarding his chest with his wounded arm. He's not going to make it out. You have to do something, have to help. You look down at the sword in your hand, then the drop. You can't get down. Unless... you open your left hand. Manfred's pearl. If you had to...

"Come on, oh mighty Herobrine." Null taunts, casually strolling towards him. "Is that all you've got?" Herobrine doesn't answer. Null swings at him, and he dodges, but stumbles to the ground. "Come on, fight me!" Null slams his sword down onto him, but he teleports a foot to the right. "I said fight me!" Herobrine lets his arm drop to his side, and his eyes fall shut. Is he giving up?!

Null approaches, sword readied, but your husband doesn't even flinch. "Rather a disappointing end, but oh well." The creature shrugs, lifting his sword.

Before you have a chance to think about it, you throw the Ender pearl, lifting your sword, and close your eyes. An instant later, pain explodes in your shoulder, and you scream.