Chapter Eighteen

You're shoved to the ground, and land hard on your knees as you let out a yelp.

"Oh shut up." Your head jerks up at Null's voice, and you look around yourself in vain until you spot a pair of glowing eyes.

"You!"

"Yes, me. Who else?" Struggling upright, you plant your feet, trying to figure out where you are. Slowly, the room begins to come into view, your eyes adjusting to the light. You can see mobs, some zombies, shambling around in the darkness. Null is watching you, a jet-black silhouette in the already-dark room.

"Put me back!" You snap, stomping a foot. "What the heck do you want with me??" A thought occurs to you, and you add, "And Manfred! What did you do with him?!"

"Well, first off, I don't think you're in any position to be making demands." Null points out. "And second, why don't you come with me?" A dark hand beckons you as he turns away, walking towards the other end of the room, and you warily follow.

Null leads you into another room, and you finally have enough light to recognize the chamber you're in as part of a cave system. Unfortunately, the reason you could see this was because the tunnel ended in a dead end, an abrupt stop into a pool of lava.

"Oh, come on. I'm not going to hurt you." Null coaxes as you hesitate in the entrance. "There's no gain to come from me burning you alive." You shudder. Comforting. Regardless, you obey, following him into the cavern.

"You said you'd bring me to Manfred."

"Actually no, I didn't. I told you to come with me. But I will show him to you." He must be mind-controlled again. You watch suspiciously as Null turns towards you, then holds out his hand. "Here." There's something in his palm, and you edge closer to take it. Retreating again, you examine the object handed to you, and it's a few moments before you realize exactly what he's given you.

An Ender pearl.

"No." You exclaim. "No, you didn't-"

"And why not? He was just another mob who refused to serve me." Null shrugs. "But I kept his pearl for you. Perhaps he can help you, just one more time."

"You- you sick freak!!" Tears welling up in your eyes, you close the pearl in your fist, charging at him. He tsks at you as you get close, and, as you throw a punch blindly, he grabs your arm, twisting yours behind you and pinning you in a headlock. You gasp. His skin is freezing, sapping the heat from your body where his hands are on you.

"I don't know why you did that, with no hope of even hurting me, but who am I to judge human emotions?" He drops you, and you crumple to the ground, scrambling away. "Stay there and stay quiet. I'll be back shortly." Null turns to leave, and you grab a fragment of rock, hurling it at him and watching as it bounces off his shoulder. He just sighs.

He leaves you in the room, and you curl up on the lava-warmed stone, crying over the Ender pearl in your hands. Mobs didn't respawn. Manfred was gone.

A few minutes pass, and Null returns, a few skeleton archers with him. He directs them to a few spots around the cavern - no doubt setting up his fight with Herobrine. Dirty bastard.

"Don't look so glum." He scolds you. "Your husband should be here any minute now."

"Oh, whoopee! I get to be bait! Again!!" You infuse as much venom into your voice was possible, but Null looks unphased. Clearly he doesn't see you as even a minor threat.

"If it's not too much trouble..." A voice rings out through the room, and you jerk your head up from the ground. Herobrine. "Please return my wife. We wouldn't want this to get messy."