Reasons To Never Go To School- Virgil

"Welcome to my school, this ain't no high school, this is the Thunder-dome."

I stared at myself in the mirror, checking to see if I had covered the marks successfully up. When you turned 17, your soulmate's initials appeared on your cheek. Naturally, it had to be in such an obvious spot, because life could never be simply. Mine had only appeared last night, on my birthday. R.P. Some people wore it as a badge of honor. I was definitely not one of those people. My pale foundation sought to cover it up, quite successfully. I made sure the dark eyeshadow was fine and my two lip piercings and eyebrow ring were securely fastened. The rest of my outfit was standard: a purple shirt, black ripped jeans, checkered Vans, and a purple and black patchwork hoodie. Satisfied with the results (the results being I looked like someone you would cross the street to avoid), I left the bathroom, grabbed my backpack, and hopped into the car waiting outside.

"You took your sweet time getting out here today." Janus Lyman, nicknamed Deceit or simply Jan, turned around in the driver's seat and stared at me. He had that kind of glare that could make you second-guess your own name.

"Anything we should know about?" Remus Duke, who was simply referred to as a garbage rat, turned around as well and wiggled his eyebrows. He had the kind of ideas that could make you second-guess your own name.

I scoffed. "I'm not telling you guys what they are. You are my friends and my ride to school, but I'm not telling anyone what it says, okay?"

Dee had the nerve to look surprised. "What are you talking about, Virgil Sanders? Are we suggesting we're asking about your soulmate's initial, that you very carefully covered up? Not at all! Is that what you were talking about, Remus?"

Remus shook his head, playing along with the ridiculous charade. "Not at all, Jan." He turned himself back to me and smiled. "Though if you did want to talk about that..."

I kicked his chair, rolling my eyes. "Both of you, shut up! We're going to be late on the first day!"

They synced their overly dramatic sighs as boyfriends do as Jan sped off to school with music blaring. My day wasn't looking too bad so far with these nutcases that were my friends.

——
Jan and Remus argued about something while holding hands as I searched for my locker. They had realized they were each other's soulmates a few months back, and they had been annoyingly adorable about it ever since. Of course, they had to put up with people's crap, but they were fine. They insisted they were stronger than the narrow minds of the masses. I was inclined to believe them; they were so bizarre, they could spout some statement to a homophobe and they'd go away, confused. Example one: they once told a Karen the reason they were gay was her chunky highlights. They consider it one of their crowning moments.

The pair leaned against a wall of lockers and proceeded to try and involve me in their newest conundrum: How much deodorant could you eat before you had to throw up? I simply countered with an inquiry on why they were eating deodorant in the first place, which opened a whole other floodgate. I didn't pay close attention because my anxiety kicked in as I saw the three people approaching me: my very own Plastics.

Roman Princeton. A narcissist with an inferiority complex and self-esteem issues so obvious, I could see it from over here. Oddly enough he was a cool theatre kid, which seemed like an oxymoron. He wore his standard long white and red shirt, blue jeans, and Converse. His over coiffed light brown hair was parted and thrown carelessly to the side, unlike my strategically placed purple bangs that hid my face. It should have been impossible to be that effortlessly gorgeous. Apparently it was not. 

Patton Moorehouse. From what I could tell, very few brain cells but seemed nice enough. It may seem mean, but I always wondered why Roman kept him around. He had a permanent pep in his step and a smile on his face. He was a male cheerleader, so it was universally known he was not straight. He wore a baby blue polo with khaki pants and a hoodie tied around his shoulders. His hair was a dirty blond curly mess, and his face was covered in freckles and a large pair of circular glasses. He looked like would wear white socks with brown shoes. Dad to the max. 

Logan Knowsley. The smartest of the bunch. Always thought he could have done better. He was a complete nerd but he could pack a punch, as many found out after teasing Patton after the news of becoming each other's soulmates came out. No one ever bothered them again. He was always so serious. His dark brown hair was simply gelled to the side and he kept his large square glasses on the bridge of his nose. He wore typical blue jeans with a black dress shirt with a loose navy blue tie, leaving a single top button open. Looked like someone took a teacher from an anime, aged him down, and stuck him in my school.

They were massively popular and Roman was always such a jerk. Cute, but a jerk. My heart sped up as they walked towards Jan, Remus, and I. Compared to them, we were absolute losers. Jan wore black jeans and a yellow shirt behind a black hoodie. He kept his frizzy brown hair behind a beanie. Remus wore the same, except a green shirt and no hat, his mouse-brown hair had a single grey streak running through. Occasionally, he decided to be a clown and draw a fake mustache on his face, because why the hell not. And lucky us, today he had wanted to be the court jester. I was, well, me. I looked emo with my purple hair. A complete disaster in sum total. So why were they approaching us? We all noticeably tensed.

Roman walked directly up to me, backing me against the lockers. He simply stood in front of me, regarding with those cold, calculating blue eyes.  He was so close, and he only looked better closer. I held my books at an angle, hoping to create any kind of space between us. He spoke with a flat tone. "You're in front of my locker. Move, please." I wasn't surprised he didn't know who I was. Patton and Logan leaned on the other lockers, engaged in their own conversation.

I stared into his face for a moment, almost looking for an ounce of human compassion on his face. All I found was a smirk. I lowered my gaze and stepped to the side. Roman opened his locker, pulled out a slim volume and closed it. He turned back to me and that sinking feeling in my stomach got so much worse. He winked at me and kept that same infuriating smirk I hated. "See you around." He stalked off, his two companions in tow.

Jan watched them leave, and soon as they were at a safe distance, mimicked Roman with remarkable accuracy. "'See you around, losers.' What self-important pricks!"

Remus agreed. "I know, right? What is their problem?" Remus looked to me.

"Yeah, I don't know." I wasn't paying close attention. I couldn't help but notice how good Roman looked when he walked away.