I Have A Screaming Match- Virgil

"Cause I don't wanna roll with it, tryna get control of it. Why can't I let go of it?"

The first sensation I woke up to was pure pain. My body was sore and my head was pounding from the hangover. Everything hurt. The second feeling was warmth and because my brain was so fried, it took me a minute to realize it was because someone's arm was thrown over me. No, no, no. I shifted my gaze and I saw Roman. It took all of my self-control not to scream. I noticed some writing on his hand that looked like mine "He knows".

I took a deep breath and slipped out of his grasp, making a beeline for the bathroom. I steadied myself by clutching the counter and staring at myself in the mirror. What happened? We went to the party, had a few drinks, and then... nothing. I couldn't remember. I was desperately trying to fill in the gaps, but it didn't matter. The point was, we had ended up at my house Oh my God, I slept in the same bed as Roman Princeton. Had he seen my soulmate mark? I suddenly leaned over and threw up into the toilet. I clutched my stomach and sighed. I had to get him out. Now.

I found my clothes from yesterday and slipped them on. I listened for sounds of movement outside the door and I heard a slight shuffling. Damn, he must have woken up. I couldn't avoid this much longer. I opened the door.

Roman turned around and luckily he was now wearing his own clothes. He had the nerve to look surprised to see me. "Virgil? This is-"

"Hi. You need to leave." I wouldn't look him in the eyes. I just wanted him to leave. This was all wrong.

"What? Virgil, look, there's nothing to be ashamed of. It's not like we did anything." his tone was gentle and he looked like he hated to say that.

"Well, I don't do this often, forgive me if I'm confused about the etiquette." I hissed back.

He took a step towards me, and I took one back. "Virge, what is this between us?"

"There is no us. There's never been an us!" I threw my arms around in frustration. "This was some kind of drunk mistake that we're going to bitterly regret, so I'm trying to save face and tell you to leave."

"Listen, I don't remember much from last night either, but you can't completely blame this on me." he raised his voice slightly.

"Listen, we messed up. And now I want you to leave. I think that's reasonable, considering it's my fucking house!" I couldn't quite tell why I was so agitated, considering his state of relative calm, but I still yelled.

"Hey! Stop yelling at me, okay?" He took another step towards me. "I'm not exactly happy about this situation either!"

"Really? Could have fooled me! Listen, Princey," I used the name in such a tone, he looked angry now. "When we met, I made those rules. Don't talk to each other, don't touch each other, et cetera. There was a reason I put those rules there!"

"They were stupid rules! How the hell was I supposed to get to know you if we didn't talk? I wanted the play to seem realistic if you forgot that was something I actually like to do!" his arms were waving with such speed, I was worried he would hit my bookshelf.

"Bullshit! You went way over the line of friends, and you know it! So don't even try to pull that!" I pulled his arms back down to his sides, but he shook me off.

"Not like you exactly objected to it! No, you were perfectly fine stringing me along like we had a connection!" he screamed and I could barely process the words. "Do you even know why the fuck this is written on my hand?! Because I sure as hell didn't write it!"

"I was drunk! I'm apparently very vague when I am drunk! I apologize that's not helpful for you!"

"Oh, why don't we just face it? We're not the same and we never will be. I can't believe I ever thought we could have been friends." Roman's voice lowered into a threatening growl.

"Get out of my house, Roman. Now." I could feel myself on the verge of tears.

"Gladly." he walked out of my room and a minute later, I heard the front door slam. The sound coincided with my racking sobs. His words were finally registering in my head and the build-up of screams in my throat was released. I frantically searched for my phone. My fingers shook as I called Jan.

"Hey, didn't see you at the party-" he cut off as he heard my cry. "Oh God, I'm picking up Remus and we're coming. Turn on the song until we get there. Just breathe, Virgil. We're coming." he hung up.

I opened my Spotify and turned on the song "Weightless". The song had been scientifically proven to suppress anxiety, and Dee knew that if it was bad enough for me to call, I needed the song. I waited for him and tried to focus on my breathing, but my head was still pounding from the hangover. 15 minutes later, I heard the door opening and the sound of footsteps running up the stairs. Jan threw the door open and knelt by my side. Remus was on the opposite side.

"Virgil, I know it's hard, but you have got to talk to us. What happened?" It had been a long time since I heard Remus speak with such concern and care.

I gestured loosely at the unmade bed and kept saying, "Roman...Roman... Roman..." I was hoping they would understand. Remus whispered to Dee and he sighed.

"Okay, listen, it's going to be okay," he lifted me up by my arms and put me back on the bed.

"Liar." I kept my head down.

"Remus, go make something for the hangover." Remus ran out.

"What did he say to you?" Jan's voice was low and dangerous like he wouldn't hesitate to cut a bitch. Or Roman. They were synonymous to me at the moment.

"'We're not the same, and we never will be'. I strung him along like we had a connection... We just yelled at each other. It was so awful." My voice felt raw.

Remus came back and handed me a glass of the worst-looking concoction I had ever laid eyes on. I grabbed it from him, chugged it, and gagged. "It's awful."

"It's a hangover cure, it's not meant to be good. It's meant to ease the headache." I had to agree, my head felt better.

"So, your mom's not home, and we're not doing anything. So, you're going to go back to sleep and we're just going to hang around in case you need something." Jan lightly pushed my chest and I fell backward onto my pillow.

I wanted to protest, but I couldn't articulate the words. It would have required too much energy. I fell asleep and was vaguely aware of the pair hovering nearby for the rest of the day. I kept dreaming of Roman saying, "I don't want to forget this ever happened."