I Almost Have To Ignore The Love Of My Life- Roman

Virgil dashed out of the room, leaving me confused. Things were going well. Really well. What had I done wrong? I tried to ignore that tugging feeling in my chest and mask my hurt as everyone turned back to me. I gave a convincing smile and soon the conversation led away from Virgil. The next day I spent in the hospital, surrounded by doctors, nurses, and my hovering mother. I had to wear an arm cast for the 4 weeks and my chest had been wrapped thoroughly due to the broken ribs. The pain seemed dull in comparison to the way I was feeling about Virgil.

I had to fight to be released from the hospital Sunday evening. My mother tried to insist I stay longer, but I wasn't heartless. There was no way in hell I was going to let Virgil go to school alone after everything that had happened. I finally got my way, and I got back home around 7:00. I was tempted to call Virgil, but something told me he wouldn't pick up, despite his assurance we were still friends. But my fingers were itching to call someone, so I dialed Logan.

"Roman. I assume you're home now?" His voice was slightly breathy over the line.

"Yeah, I just wanted to call someone and-"

"You assumed Virgil wouldn't answer?" Logan finished the sentence and I sighed.

"Tell me I'm not crazy and he really did just run out of that hospital room." I could hear my voice getting whinier as the sentence trailed on. 

There was some shuffling and I thought there was another voice speaking softly in the background, but Logan quickly spoke. "No, you aren't imagining things. I imagine he was simply excusing himself after your mother walked back in." It was no secret that Logan was not a fan of her.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. You doing okay over there, Logan?" I suddenly asked as I heard Logan's breathing pick up again and someone was humming very close to the phone.

"Yeah, I'm fine," He tried to play it off and I thought there was a scuffling sound and someone sighing. "My, um, dog keeps trying to distract me." The last part of that sentence sounded pointed like he was actually chastising his Doberman, Colby.

"Your dog sounds very human to me, Logan," I gently teased. "Is there someone there with you?"

"I'll pick you up tomorrow. Bye Roman," Logan tried to hang up but he must have missed the button and didn't notice. I could hear Logan say "You have got to stop doing stuff like that when I'm talking."

"Sorry, Logan." I realized the person was Patton and I swiftly hung up. I did not need to hear the rest of the conversation.
——

The car ride to school was quiet and tense. We were all expecting the worse as soon as we pulled up to the parking space. Logan parked and as if by magic, a small group surrounded the car. I realized it was a small part of the drama club. I got out of the car slowly. "What are you guys doing?"

"We're your protection squad! No one is allowed to fuck with you if we're here!" A small chipper junior spoke up, and I recognized her as Valerie.

"I didn't think you guys would be okay with me being..." I shoved one hand into my pocket as Logan and Patton got out of the car.

"Dude, we're the drama department. Most of us are theatre gays. And besides, we already knew. Any boy that sings "Sexy" from Mean Girls like that, is not straight." Another senior named Talyn rolled their eyes.

I started to protest. "That's...true." I sighed but I couldn't help but smile. I really did have people that cared about me.

"The rest of us are going to be watching Virgil." Another boy named Terrence pointed over to another small group. Virgil was standing in the middle, smiling a little. He looked up at me at the same time. Our eyes locked and I waved a little. I saw him smile a little, but then he turned and walked to the building surrounded by angry drama geeks.