I Fuck It All Up- Roman

"I was meant to be yours! We were meant to be one! Don't give up on me now!"

I took a few deep breaths as I stared at myself in the dressing room mirrors. 10 minutes until curtain and I was hesitant as I touched my makeup. Virgil fiddled with a strap on his costume as he avoided looking up. Everything seemed perfectly on time.

"So, we have some time before we have to be out there and that makes me think this is a good time to talk to you," Virgil said as he abandoned the strap.

"Sure, sweetheart. What did you want to say?" I touched my under eyes and huffed.

"Could you look at me please?" Virgil asked. That's when I knew this was something serious. I turned to face him and saw him looking more stressed than ever.

"What happened, Virge?" I went to hold his hand but he pulled back, shaking his head slightly.

"I wanted to tell you something. Important. You know how... we never really talked about the whole 'soulmates' thing?" Virgil wrung his hands and I silently panicked. He was breaking up with me, wasn't he? Oh my god. Not now. Not on show night.

"Um, yeah. What about it?" I asked, but I knew what he would tell me. He found his soulmate so he was dumping me after a month. He didn't even give me a chance to tell him that I might really be in love. Not like. Not lust. Love. What wasn't there to love?

"Well, the reason was... because you're my soulmate." Virgil said and my heart stopped. No. I didn't hear that right. The initials...

"Um, you can't really see it underneath the foundation I put on," he waved his hand over his cheekbone. "But the initials are yours. And I know you have mine."

"How do you know I have yours?" I crossed my arms defensively. I was feeling a little aimless and it wasn't a feeling I liked in the slightest.

"After you got jumped, when I came to see you in the hospital?" Virgil hadn't really looked me in the eye yet and he couldn't see my stare hardening. "It was uncovered and that's why I ran. Because I panicked. So we're soulmates. Any thoughts?"

"You knew for, let me think," I pretended to hesitate. "3 weeks, and you didn't think to tell me before?"

Virgil looked confused and a little hurt. "I'm telling you now, doesn't that count for something?"

"Oh yeah, a ton. I don't think that it's fair that you got to decide when it was the right time for me to know. This isn't a one-way thing, Virgil. We're both very involved in this." I ranted a little and I noticed Virgil stopped hunching.

"I'm very aware we're both involved in this, that's why I'm telling you. God, what is this conversation that we're having?" he held the sides of his head. "I just admitted we're soulmates and you're trying to argue with me?"

"Well, according to Mr. Pessimist, you don't even think all soulmates end up together anyway! So why does it even matter?" I retorted. Shit. Did I really just say that? I saw Virgil's crushed expression.

"Are you saying what I think you're saying? Do you want to break up?" I could hear the brokenness of his voice.

"That's not what I was saying-" I backtracked

"Oh really? Because that's sure what it fucking sounded like." He was really crying now, holding his arms tightly. "I don't know why I expected my boyfriend to be happy to figure out we were destined for each other. Stupid of me, really."

"Virgi-" I tried to apologize but he wouldn't let me.

"You know what? No. You're right, maybe this whole thing was cursed. I thought I made you change from being that asshole who only cared about himself. But people like you don't chance for people like me. It's over Roman." Each word broke my heart.

"I don't want it to be over." I stepped forward but he walked around me.

"Well, just like you said, I don't take you into consideration." He wiped his eyes, barely smudging his makeup. "I'm ending this... whatever it was. You're not my boyfriend, Roman. Feel free to find someone else." he swung open the door and walked out and I immediately ran after him. Damn it, I did this all wrong!

"Virgil!" I whispered and grabbed his arm as I followed him backstage. He whirled around and pointed a finger in my face, a look of pure rage in his eyes.

"Don't. You. Dare. Touch. Me." He yanked his arm back but I pulled him back by his waist. He braced his arms on my chest as he struggled, but I wouldn't let him walk away from him.

"Virgil, I'm sorry, that was an absolutely fucked up thing to say. I don't want to end things with you." I pleaded but he showed no mercy.

"Well, I want to end it with you. Because it's so clear now that you never changed. You just put on a nice little act. Well done, Roman, an Oscar-worthy performance!" This bitterness in his voice made me bite back tears. He broke away from me and glared. "I'm so over this naive idea I could make you into a better person and that I might have been in love with you." I was vaguely aware of the director speaking to the audience, but none of it mattered. Virgil had admitted he loved me and now he was leaving me. There was something I was supposed to say, something that would make him come back to me. But I couldn't find the words. My voice failed me.

"Roman, come on, what are you doing?" The stage manager came running over and grabbed my arm, dragging me away. "You're supposed to be on the other side of the stage, the show is starting!"

I followed her but my eyes didn't leave Virgil, who turned away from me and didn't look back once. I stared for as long as I could, but I saw nothing but the back of my now ex-boyfriend.
__ __

So, how we all feeling? Good? Happy? This part was kind of fun to write, I love writing aggressive confrontations. I hope you enjoyed this part and that you're ready for the last update on Wednesday. Speaking of which, I'm thinking of doing a little Q&A after that, so if you guys have any questions for me about the writing or just myself, think of them and you can post them on the next part. That's it from me. Take it easy guys gals and non-binary pals. Peace out!