We Tell The Friends- Roman

"I was a fighter, and I was so brave. But I lowered my sword when you held me and swore you'd stay, stay, stay."

"Wait, why?" Virgil looked at me with wide, pitiful eyes. "Why is that a thing we have to do?"

"Because," I waved my arms as I draped myself across the counter in the boys' dressing room. "They're your friends and mine and if we're in a serious relationship, they should be aware of it!" I turned my head to the side. "It is serious, right?"

Virgil leaned against the wall, both scowling and blushing, which made for an adorable combination. "Yeah, it's serious. And I like my friends, they're just dicks sometimes. Especially to you."

"I'm willing to take the risk. And you like Logan and Patton! So that'll be one less awkward confrontation we have to deal with." I sat up, jumped off the counter and held Virgil's hand, which he allowed. "C'mon, sweetheart, I want to be able to be with you and at least tell my closest friends about it! Is that really too much to ask for?"

"If you're going to insist on this," Virgil's smile took on a mischievous glint. "Then I'm going to set my own rule for it."

"Is that the only thing you ever do, because I feel like all you do is set rules for me," I asked as he elbowed my side. "Okay, okay. Fine, what's your requirement?"

"We do it at the same time. No separate confrontations, we drop the news on everyone at the same time." Virgil smiled, looking way too smug. Oh, honey.

"That sounds like a marvelous idea!" I grinned as I saw Virgil's face drop.

"Wait. You weren't supposed to agree to that." Virgil blinked once. Twice.

"Aw, and why's that?" I teased him gently when I saw how grumpy he looked. Honestly, he's like a cat.

"Because that's annoying! You were supposed to say no, and I would say that it's not happening then, and we wouldn't have to do it!" he shoved me a little harder, but I didn't budge. "Work with my plan, goddammit!"

"No." I kissed his cheek and watched with satisfaction at his blush. We'd been dating for a month and he still gets flustered? Adorable. "It won't be as bad as you think."

"If you're wrong, I'm going to kill you." he deadpanned as he curled his fingers.

"I look forward to my death by such pretty hands." I winked.
__ __

"Okay," Virgil stared into his mirror as his hands shook. "Okay. This'll be fine."

We had called everyone over to Virgil's house that Friday night to share the news. Dee and Remus were already here so Virgil and I were hiding upstairs until Logan and Patton arrived. I was sitting calmly on his bed, swinging my legs as Virgil continued to freak out.

"Send them home." Virgil whirled around and spoke. "We'll do this some other time."

"No." I got up and held his hands. "We're doing this now, or we're going to chicken out later. I have faith in you."

"It's too much this week! There's tech week starting Monday," Virgil glanced to the side as he prattled off a list. "I'm barely getting through my lines, the blocking is such an issue and now this? I can't handle it!" he looked back over at me, leaning his forehead against mine.

"First of all," I pressed a kiss to his lips. "Tech week is going to be fine because we can help each other," I kissed him again, a little harder as he wrapped his arms around my neck. "You know your blocking better than I do," Virgil pulled me closer as we leaned against his dresser. "And this is one easy little thing I know you can handle." I pulled away from him.

"I hate it when you're right." Virgil sighed as the doorbell rang. The next sound we heard was someone saying, "What the hell are you two losers doing here?"

"And it's showtime." I dragged Virgil down his stairs to see Remus and Dee standing in front of a very confused Logan and Patton. Patton looked over Remus's shoulder and saw me.

"Roman! Hey!" he sighed, sounding very relieved to see me.

"They're supposed to be here, you can back off." Virgil let go of my hand and leaned against the narrow hallway leading to the front door. Dee reluctantly moved to the side and Logan led Patton inside, holding him close. The two couples sat on opposite couches in the living room, sizing up the situation. Virgil walked back to me and I pulled him to the front of the space, very aware everyone was staring.

"Okay, we have a slight announcement to make!" I looked around at the expectant faces. I wrapped an arm around Virgil's waist and took a deep breath. "Virgil and I are officially dating!"

There were at least 3 different reactions. Patton squealed and ran up to hug Virgil, who looked very taken aback. Logan rolled his eyes and muttered something under his breath, and well, the other two? They looked ready to bash my skull in.

"Aw, you guys are going to be so precious together." Patton turned back to his boyfriend, who looked up.

"Well, congratulations. You are all officially the last to know." Logan gave a conciliatory smile, which only added to my confusion.

"Wait. You knew?!" I asked and everybody had turned to face Logan.

"It was quite obvious. Both of you stopped showing up to the cafeteria on the same days, Roman always was busy on weekends," Logan listed off reasons. "Both of you, perhaps subconsciously, started putting more effort into your appearances, suggesting a significant other."

There was pure silence for a beat until Patton spluttered, "You knew and you didn't tell me?!"

"Well, it wasn't my secret to tell. But how nice for you." Logan nodded in Virgil's direction.

"You hurt him, Princeton, and I will kick your ass so hard-" Dee started to threaten.

"Your vertebrae will pop out of your mouth one by one like a Pez dispenser." Remus finished the sentence and I couldn't help but take a step back.

"And with that image in mind," Virgil's mother peeked her head out from the kitchen, "Is anyone hungry? Because I have pizza."

Remus, ironically, was the first to make a beeline for the kitchen with everybody else slowly following behind him. I held Virgil back and whispered, "See? Only one death threat. Not too bad."

"Yeah, yeah. Consider yourself lucky this time."
__ __

Okay, I've had this idea for a while and I've finally written it down! Hope you enjoyed it, I always like writing for this book. Question: Who's your least favorite and your favorite side? Take it easy guys gals and non-binary pals. Peace out!