We Dance Into A Relationship- Roman

I burst into the theatre desperately trying to outrun Virgil. He came in a few seconds after me, but before he could yell at me again, I nudged him and nodded towards the already assembled group of people. He neutralized his face after shooting me a glare. I gallantly ignored him and walked over to the stage, grabbing my script.

Our director Danny walked in after us, a slight bounce in her step. She looked at the club, clapped her hands together and smiled. "Alright!" she announced to us. "A friend of mine is coming in today to help us with our singing rehearsals. Everyone say hi to Lily!"

A woman of relatively short stature walked in, holding a large book of sheet music and rolling in a small speaker behind her. Ms. Keilman was holding a tabletop keyboard and was setting it up. Lily set down the book with a loud thud and surveyed the group. I couldn't help but slightly wither under her critical stare. Virgil stood next to me on the stage and whispered, "Is it just me or does it look like she's about to kill us?"

Lily's head whipped back around and stared directly at Virgil, making his face go white. She didn't speak for a while and after the uncomfortable silence, she barked, "Alright! Let's get to work!"

__ __

And so for the next three hours, we stood along the edge of the stage, running through the entirety of the musical. Virgil was covertly leaning lazily on my side, trying to hide from Lily. She was undoubtedly one of the scariest women I had ever met. She either had not had much of a childhood, or she was just born like that. If each pitch was not hit exactly right, we would have to start the song all over. I messed up more than I would care to admit, while she seemed to find little fault in Virgil's voice.

Most of the drama club ran from the theatre as soon as they could. Virgil and I went backstage to the dressing rooms. I hesitated to bring it up, but when he looked at me and pulled out his phone, I knew he had the same thing on his mind.

"I get to pick the song today," He pressed play and I smiled as I recognized the tune. It was City of Stars, from La La Land. "You picked Planetarium last time, so I figured we would stay with the album." he shrugged.

"Fine by me, starshine." I grabbed his wrist, making him drop his phone at his feet, and spun his into my arms. Our fingers intertwined and our foreheads touched. And I began singing to him softly, even though my throat was raw from the practice.

"City of stars, are you shining just for me? City of stars, there's so much that I can't see," I saw Virgil trying to suppress his smile. "Who knows? I felt it from the first embrace I shared with you." We swayed with the rhythm.

He picked up the next line. "That now our dreams may finally come true," he sang with his eyes closed, his voice perfectly harmonizing with Emma's. "City of stars; just one thing everybody wants. There in the bars and through the smokescreen of the crowded restaurants," he laughed a little as I gently pressed my lips onto the tip of his nose. "It's love, yes, all we're looking for is love from someone else."

"A rush."

"A glance."

"A touch."

"A dance."

Virgil opened his eyes as we sang to each other, our tones hiding our unspoken promises to each other. Maybe it was just because we were caught up in the moment, but I had never felt so truly connected to someone all my life. " A look in somebody's eyes to light up the skies, to open the world and send it reeling. A voice that says, I'll be here and you'll be alright."

"I don't care if I know just where I will go, 'cause all that I need's this crazy feeling. A rat-tat-tat on my heart," Virgil laughed again as I spun him around and pulled him back closer to me.

"Think I want it to stay," I muttered as I planted another small kiss onto his cheek. "City of stars, are you shining just for me? City of stars..."

"You never shined so brightly." Virgil finished the song and the look of pure elation on his face was something I could spend the rest of my life looking at.

"Virgil, darling," I spoke slowly and quietly, trying to not jolt us out of that moment. "I know you said you wanted to take it slow. But I just can't. Virgil, I want to be your boyfriend." I stammered out. "Please. Give me a chance."

I expected Virgil to take a step back, to say no, to run away from me. I didn't expect him to stand on the tips of his shoes to plant the warmest kiss on my forehead. He pulled back and smiled. "I think I would really like that, Roman."

I blinked, trying to register what just happened, before squealing and grabbing Virgil by the waist and spinning him around. "I swear to God, if you don't put me down right now, I'm going to change my mind!" Virgil laughed as he braced himself on my shoulders.

I released him but took his hands, still smiling the goofiest grin. "Now you have to let me take you out on a date this weekend."

"I guess you have to." Virgil rolled his eyes. "But first, let's see if your parents approve."

My heart briefly sank, I had completely forgotten about the dinner. But I shook off the feeling of fear and tried for a gallant smile. "Of course, love. Let's go to the dragons' den."

__ __

Sorry, I didn't release yesterday, it was the funeral and well... yeah. But here! It's cute! And I had an excuse to use one of my favorite songs from La La Land. I really liked the idea of them singing this song together. So I hope you guys liked it! Sorry it's a little shorter than usual. Take it easy guys gals and non-binary pals. Peace out!