I Get To Date The Cutest Emo- Roman

The remainder of the school week passed agonizingly slow. Virgil and I stole glances at each other, danced in each other's arms, and fell more in love with each moment. I was tempted to ask him about his soulmate's initials if only to soothe the horrible feeling in my chest that this was all for nothing. But seeing the panic on his face every time it was mentioned, I refrained.

Saturday finally came and I paced around my room to ease my jitters. I had it all carefully planned. I had seen my boyfriend, no matter how many times he denied it, sketch rough outlines of flowers. The botanical gardens had a new fairytale exhibit. It didn't take too long for me to connect the dots. I grabbed the car keys from the table and yelled out that I was going to hang out with a friend. The fall breeze brushed across my face as I drove with the window down, smiling like an idiot.

I stood on the doorstep and shuddered. We agreed on 12:00. It was 12:01. I rang the doorbell and it was immediately opened by a thin woman with her brunette hair tied back into a messy bun. Her grey shirt and black leggings were covered in flour and she was wiping her hands with a kitchen towel. She smiled like we had known each other our whole lives.

"You must be Roman!" She threw the towel to the side and I saw Virgil scramble down the staircase. "I've heard so much about you!"

Virgil stood next to her, wearing his usual outfit and trying to catch his breath. "No," he panted, glaring at the woman I assumed was his mother. "No, she hasn't!"

"You two enjoy your date, just don't do something stupid!" she called out after us as Virgil dragged me back to the car, groaning.

"She's so embarrassing," he sat in the passenger seat with his head in his hands. "She hasn't heard anything. She saw you drop me off and that's it."

"Well, she seems very nice." I tried to lighten the conversation but he gave me a soft glare.

"She's amazing, she just delights in embarrassing me, her only son."

__ __

"The botanical gardens?" Virgil clung loosely to my arm as we walked to the entrance. "Why here?"

"As much as you deny it, you adore flowers and it's fairy tales! I'm your prince, after all." I teasingly ran a finger down his face, which he playfully swatted away.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say, Doctor Do-The-Most." he threaded our fingers together and we wandered around. For hours, we walked through the flowers and plant sculptures. Virgil was enthralled with it, taking tons of pictures and excitedly pointing out each detail. It was adorable to see him so truly excited about something.

"Virgil, darling," I collapsed on a bench with a sigh. "We've been walking for two hours. You're going to kill me."

"How can you sit down when there's so much around here? It's just amazing." He sat down next to me, tousling my hair.

"I've seen most of it before, haven't you?" I rolled my eyes, confused when he shook his head.

"It's just me and my mom, we don't make enough to do this. Dad skipped out on us pretty early on," he mentioned nonchalantly. "We didn't need him anyway."

"Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything." I started to apologize, but he waved away my words.

"Forget it, it's not exactly a state-kept secret. And if you're so tired," he took my hand and pulled me back to my feet. "Let's go get something from that restaurant we saw on the way in."

"Finally, he speaks common sense!" I kissed his forehead and we walked arm-in-arm back down in the paths. A few people gave us stares, but I was too focused on my boyfriend to care.

We sat down in a booth, people-watching as we waited for the food to come. It was a small pizza parlor, clearly family-owned and beloved by the community, judging by the winding lines. It took some arguing but I finally got him to cave and let me pay.

"A month..." Virgil muttered under his breath. When he saw my questioning glance, he filled in the blanks. "In a month, the musical opens. It just seems like no time at all."

"I know, it's pretty short, but I think we can pull it off." I smiled as the waitress slid the pizza in front of us. "It's just kind of funny."

"What's so funny? Please, I think I could use a joke." Virgil grabbed a slice and picked at it for a while.

"This whole thing started because it was a punishment." I laughed. "And now, there's nothing I wouldn't give to have you with me."

Virgil turned red at my words and mimicked my smile. "It is a little ironic. In my defense, I have always thought you were attractive, but who didn't?"

I pretended to hesitate with my answer. "I think I was first attracted to you was... when I backed you into the locker. My brain was just screaming how cute you were!" I pointed at him with the end of my slice.

"Can I show you something?" Virgil pulled out his phone, scrolled a little and turned it towards me. It was a detailed sketch of me... as Karen Smith. I gaped at it for so long, Virgil had to snap his fingers in my face to capture my attention.

"I did this after that practice you sung "Sexy"," he smiled fondly at the memory. "And I just couldn't get the image out of my head."

"Virgil Sanders, you are the most amazing thing to have ever happened to me." I sighed and I knew I meant that with my whole heart.

__ __

"It was a good day," we walked up Virgil's driveway as the sun began to set behind us. "I should let you take me on dates more often."

"I wouldn't say no." I leaned in closer but stopped just before. "Is your mother watching?"

"I don't know and I don't care." Virgil cupped the side of my face and captured me in a short, gentle kiss. "I was going to do that anyway."

"See you on Monday?"

"Count on it!" he called out over his shoulder as he closed his front door. And when my father asked me why I was smiling so much, I just said it was the best day I had in a while.

__ __

It's one in the morning, the musical opens today technically, so I'm going to sleep now. I hope you guys like this, for some reason Wattpad is giving me a lot of trouble lately. If you didn't see, I have a Discord server so if you want to just hang out with me and other people that read this, check the link in my bio! Take it easy guys gals and non-binary pals. Peace out!