I Realize I Definitely Lied To Him- Roman

"Let them drive us underground, I don't care how far. You can set my broken bones and I know CPR."

"You did it. You asked him out. Granted, you also asked out all of his friends, but it's a good start." Logan was trying his best to encourage me.

"And he definitely still likes you! He wanted to do dance lessons with you! That's so cute!" Patton squealed. "You can't mess it up this time!"

I wasn't so sure about that last part, but I was feeling good. He didn't look mad anymore and I had a weird feeling Logan, Patton, Jan, and Remus were hatching plans. But for now, I had to figure out how I could look at Virgil and not think about... the dream.

I had some time to think, we had gotten to first period fairly quickly. I had closed my eyes when a pair of hands slammed down on the desk in front of me. I opened my eyes and found some kid I had never talked to leering at me.

"Can I help you?" I stared at him with a bored look. I didn't know what he wanted from me.

"Just wondering where your little boyfriend is, Princey." My heart stopped. People heard us. They thought I was gay. And they weren't wrong, but how was I supposed to tell them that?

"I... don't know what you're talking about. Class is going to start soon." It took me a moment to articulate my thoughts.

"Admit it, loser. You have a thing for that freak, Virgil. You have a thing for him, admit it Princey!" he yelled in my face. I hated when he called me Princey. Virgil said it so much better. My arms were shaking. I hadn't been bullied since 8th grade, and I promised to never let myself be vulnerable again. But here we are anyway. What the hell was this anyway, who did confrontation like this anymore?!

"Hey!" I heard Virgil's voice from the doorway and I had never been so glad to see him, while at the same time wishing he would go away. He looked livid and his hands were balled into fists. He walked over to the kid and glared, but he was just a little too short. "Leave him alone."

"Come to protect your boyfriend's honor? How nice of you." He spat in Virgil's face and I stood up ready to kill him. Virgil got there first.

He kneed the bully in the crotch and as he was going down, he tackled him backwards. Remus stood by the door looking for the teacher as Dee was pulling at Virgil's arms. I had never seen him so fierce. Remus yelled, "She's coming up the hallway!" Dee gave a last desperate tug, and Virgil came away from the cowering boy. He was riddled with bruises. Virgil seemed unaffected.

He pointed at the boy again and yelled. "Stay away from him, you hear me? Leave him alone!" Dee pushed him down into his seat and sat next to him and Remus ran to his seat. The offending kid took his own seat, far away for Virgil.

The moment I saw Virge lunge at the offender, I realized it. I was in love. No one had ever fought for me. He looked so fierce. He said to leave me alone, not us. He was so concerned for me. I wanted him to be the one that would fight for me. I wanted to fight for him. I was willing to do anything to have us be with each other.

Patton had been sitting next to me, yelling for the brawl to stop. "Boy, that was something." he looked at Ms. Keilman, then Virgil, and then the boy.

Logan was calm, smiling. I could have sworn he had been whispering encouragements to my Sour Patchwork Kid. "I had never seen him loose his calm. What did you think, Roman?"

I was so distracted in my own thoughts, I whispered exactly what I was thinking. "It was amazing. I don't think I've ever been so attracted to a person." I let out a dreamy sigh, which is something I never do.
——

Being in love was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I had started the day just hoping to apologize. It was Patton's idea to ask him to the party. And now, I had to figure out how to look at him without being too obvious that I loved and and I was seriously into after him. It was going to be a long day.

I couldn't focus in class to save my life. I couldn't stop looking at him. All of a sudden, piercings were hot and I really wanted to dye my hair. And, yes, I was being a bit obvious, but you can't blame me. I'm in love.

Logan slipped me a note during math class. "Ask him to have lunch with us." I looked at him like he was insane, but he just nodded like that answered my question. I looked at Patton and he smiled. Great, guess I was asking him to do things with me twice today.

Class ended and as soon as I stood up, Virgil was standing there in front of me. I was so startled and happy, I just stood there like an idiot. "Hi." Geez, I was so eloquent today.

"Come have lunch with me. And Jan and Remus. You can bring Patton and Logan." He looked at me, almost on expectation of my rejection. But how could I say no to those eyes?

"Yeah, sure, I was going to actually ask you that," I cheerfully noted he smiled more when I said that. "So, should we walk over now?"

He shoved his hands deep into his pockets. "Yeah, okay." I grabbed my bag and walked with him over to the lunch room, completely forgetting about my friends and that boy.