I Fan The Flames- Roman

"Sorry I'm not made of sugar, am I not sweet enough for you?"

I watched Virgil walk away and I could feel my heart start to beat slower. The sinking feeling in my chest hadn't left yet, and I was starting to doubt it would ever leave me alone. I pulled my jacket around me and sighed, suddenly feeling self-conscious.

"So, when are you going to man up and actually ask him out?" Logan approached me with Patton beside him. "You've done everything except that, it seems."

"What happened between us was not right, he just wants us to be friends." I shook my head and kept my eyes on the floor, wishing I could just melt into the wall. Everything was piling up around me and it felt like my lungs were filling with water.

Logan put his hands around Patton's ears and spoke. "Bullshit. You both like each other, and I don't see why you persist in denying it. Logically, it does not make sense."

"I said what I said, Logan. Please just drop it." I fought to keep my tone steady, even when every fiber of my being wanted to scream the words.

Logan sighed and dropped his hands. "What is wrong with you? I have been here for you, while you've been having this weird thing with Virgil, but now you want to shut down? Bullshit. Sorry, Patton," he quickly apologized to his aghast boyfriend. "It's just... it's bullshit."

"Logan, for once in your fucking life, will you shut up?!" I threatened and glared, causing Logan to wither under my stare. "You can't fix everything with your logic, so you need to drop your holier-than-thou attitude." I sighed and shoved my hands into my pocket, ignoring the fact the cast made that difficult.

"Kiddo, what's going on?" Patton stepped forward and put a hand on my shoulder. "This isn't like you." he looked genuinely concerned.

"I can't act positive all the time, Patton. You might be able to keep that up, but I can't do it," I growled at him and he moved away. "Sorry you don't like this side of me, maybe you should consider only being friends with that side of me. But for now, he's clocked out of the building." I grabbed my bag and walked away.

The oddest part was that I didn't feel bad. Everything was crushing me and I felt like I couldn't breathe without being criticized anymore. I had to do something. If I didn't... the voices and demons feeding into my thoughts would have hurt me even more. I was a trainwreck and I didn't know who I was anymore.

I sat in the back of the classroom and mussed my hair, not caring if it looked awful. I could feel the stares digging into my back as if saying, Look at him, he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. And they were right. In one morning, I had been laughed at and threatened. No one seemed to remember that I had feelings too. That I had reactions. I felt my fingers clutch my hair, but I couldn't feel my fingers moving. Everything was blurring together and I couldn't hide it anymore. It was getting to be too much.

Classes muddled together as I avoided Patton and Logan, who didn't seem to be making much of an effort to come to find me. I spent my lunch period mostly alone, sitting outside at a picnic table concealed by the trees. I was starting to get used to the soul-crushing silence when a pair of hands slammed on the table in front of me.

"What the hell do you want?" I muttered before looking up to see a very angry-looking Virgil staring back down at me.

"Listen up, buttercup, you just flipped my bitch switch," He leaned closer and growled, but I didn't waiver. "They may be your friends, but you cannot treat them like trash!"

"What are you talking about, Virgil?" I rolled my eyes. "You'd be surprised at how little I currently care."

"Logan and Patton! I saw Patton crying! You, yes you," He jabbed a finger into my chest. "Made the kindest, more pure soul in this fucking campus cry!"

"Virgil, I can't take this anymore!" I screamed at the top of my lungs as the tears flowed everywhere. "I'm so tired! I'm so tired of being strong for you, for Patton and Logan, for my family," I tried to rant as my voice broke. "It's too much! I can't do it anymore, I feel like I'm drowning in everything! The voices in my head are too strong. I'm a monster!"

I don't know exactly when, but at some point, Virgil had pulled me off of the table and wrapped me in a tight hug. I sobbed into his shoulder and let myself enjoy the small comfort of his warmth. I let myself just collapse in his arms, and he held me without complaint. It was just me sobbing as I listened to his heartbeat. He ran his fingers through my hair.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."I whispered into his shirt, my voice shot.

"It's okay, just breathe, Roman." Virgil's voice was quiet as he murmured assurances into my ear.

We stayed like that for a while, but eventually, we pulled apart and I stared into his eyes, noticing tears almost flowing over. He caressed my face gently and I gave him a shaky smile.

"You don't have to act for me, Roman. Turn off the fake face," He said, and I looked away, almost ashamed. "You don't have to do anything, I just want you to be you. The good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm always going to be here."

Maybe it was an odd mixture of my emotions being a mess and the fact he was saying all the right things, but I knew what I wanted at that moment.

"Virgil, I really like you." I blurted it out, biting my lip waiting for a response.

"I really like you too, Princey." Virgil lifted my chin up gently so I was looking at him again.

I stood up to my full height, gently leaned down, but just before I pressed our lips together, I looked at him and silently asked if this was okay. He nodded and closed the gap for me. It was sweet and gentle and I could taste the salt from our tears, but none of that mattered. Our arms were wrapped around each other and we weren't drunk. We stayed like that for a while, just enjoying each other. We would worry about everything else later. For now, it was just us.

__ __

I threw y'all a bone this time. This started as very angsty but ended cutely! I really liked how this turned out and I hope you guys like it too! You guys have been super supportive and I love talking to you guys in comments (especially the theatre references). I have got to be better with a schedule so I've decided on one!

Sunday- Star-Crossed- Logicality
Monday- Sanders Sides Oneshots
Tuesday- Day off
Wednesday- No Never Yes- Prinxiety
Thursday- Star-Crossed
Friday- Sanders Sides Oneshots
Saturday- No Never Yes

So yeah! I don't know how closely this is going to be followed but I'll try my best! This schedule is going to start Sunday, so this week is going to be an update on logicality and the oneshots. Okay, take it easy guys gals and non-binary pals! Peace out.