Chapter 14

(3rd Person)

It took... a lot of willpower to keep the two assassins from attacking the male in front of them, but... since his voice sounded defeated. It seems they were at least going to get an explanation before they could take their anger out on him.

(Y/N): Right... first thing's first... where have I been for the past month... well, I've been living here in this cosy little cabin. I've been spending all my time being peaceful and quiet in this secluded part of the forest.

Tatsumi: How haven't we found you? We looked literally everywhere in the forest, there wasn't any cabin near the lake.

(Y/N): Hmph, that's a little secret, but I do know that I can explain it. I just don't want to.

Leone: Why not?

(Y/N): I said I had a lot of explaining to do, doesn't mean I still want to keep my secrets hidden.

Tatsumi: Fine then... how did the Empire not find you? You're the most famous criminal, surely they would...

(Y/N): That's one of the things I got from Honest: they cleared me of all charges, in other words... I'm no longer a criminal of the Empire. I'm just a simple civilian just like every other normal person.

Leone: So you bribed your way into getting out of trouble? And here I thought you didn't want to choose a side.

(Y/N): I never did choose a side, I'm pretty sure Akame told you all, I was only using Honest by bribing him with the riches I collected. In return for the hefty amount he wanted, I was promised three things.

Tatsumi: Well, it seems we already know the first two, this remote cabin at the edge of the forest near the river, and your criminal record being erased... but what about the third thing?

(Y/N): That's another secret, sorry if I'm frustrating you. But there are some things that I want to keep to myself no matter what.

To Tatsumi's surprise, Leone suddenly leapt forward, grabbing the male by his new shirt collar and raising him up, bringing her face close. While Leone glared at (Y/N) with anger and frustration, (Y/N) merely stared back still unfazed by anything she could've possibly done.

Leone: You've been hiding a lot of secrets ever since we met, the biggest one being you worked for the Prime Minister... but don't you know what you've done by giving that man all that treasure? You've not only satisfied his greed, but you've made it so his lust for power will grow. By using his wealth, he'll become even more powerful in the Empire than he already is.

(Y/N): I already told you I wasn't picking a side, so it doesn't really concern me if your enemy is growing stronger.

Tatsumi: (Y/N)... no doubt the Prime Minister will...

(Y/N): He may be a scumbag, but he wouldn't turn back on his word. Especially when it comes to money, I've paid that man too much money for him to even think about turning against our deal. And even if he did, he would be too afraid since my teigu could easily put him out of commission.

Leone: Then why didn't you? Now, he's going to throw more power around thanks to you.

(Y/N) casually and slowly pulled Leone's hand away, patting his shirt before he quickly sat back down on the sofa, crossing one leg over the other while chucking another log of wood into the fire.

(Y/N): Because, he and I were very understandable to each other... as for how the deal came to be, it went a little something like this:

(Flashback)

It was around the first year (Y/N) started his life as a criminal who escaped any prison and stole from the richest of the rich, the now sixteen year old male was walking through the very same forest he would live in, two sacks over his shoulders as he headed to his stash with a blank look on his face.