36

Parker had excused us and Pearson was carefully waiting to hear what I had to say
It is actually easier to think about something than saying it because once it comes out of your mouth. You can't take it back again

I bow my head down, close my eyes and count three.... I do this often when I'm nervous..

Before I could raise it... Pearson's phone rings and he excused himself to answer the phone.... At least this would buy me sometime

But his phone call seem to be an heated one, I got interested when I heard west Africa and suing.....

Then he hung up

"Rubbish..... "

"What's wrong... Mr Pearson "

"Just some fools.. Trying to play the smart one on me.... "

"I dont understand "

"Never mind... I'll handle it"

"No.. I want to know pls... I heard you say west Africa so I'm just wondering what it could be about "

"They keep hoarding the goods we send there and every time we have to pay for it.... It becoming too much... I can't keep doing this "

"So what would you do now "

"Am going to sue them... That's what "

"Uhmm so where exactly in west Africa "

"I dont know.. I think it'd be between Ghana and Nigeria... I'm fine doing business with south Africa ... But you see these other countries.. I don't understand.. After spending so much shipping the goods down there... They still wouldn't let your goods go"

"Nigeria.... You say "

"Yes.... Don't worry about this things I'll sort them out when I can if not I'll just stop doing business there "

"Lemme help".....
I blunt out.... And he burst into laughter

''You .... "

"Yes Sir... I can help "

"Are You on something "

"No sir.. Am fine, I can help, pls let me help  "

I said quickly...
Thinking and talking at the same time

"How........ Just stop pulling my legs Genesis, I don't have time for this "

"Am serious sir... I can put everything in order.. I'll just go there and I'll represent as a lawyer.. Or whatever you want me to do "

"What are you saying.... Do you know what that means "

"I do... Mr Pearson..... I do"

"No You don't.. Because if you do, You won't be saying all this nonsense "

"Sir... I can really do it "

"I know that's why I hired you.. That's how you became a partner.... Not just because you are good at what you do but because you don't take things for granted... I understand or should I say am trying to understand why you suddenly want to shoulder this responsibility but it is none of your business... People involved are doing what they are employed to do, You don't have to worry about it at all.. Why would I want you of all people to go to Africa... For what.. That would be stupidity on my own part "

"Sir... ". I stood up "I have to go back to Nigeria....and I have to go soon....  "

"Ohhh OK, so you want to go back to Nigeria.... Ok, for how long, "

"I dont know "

"You dont know..what do you mean by you don't know . I don't understand none of this makes sense  "

"Sir I'm quitting, I have to... "

"You have to... what are you talking about ... Is something wrong... Is someone threatening you or something  "

"Nothing like that........ It... Its  personal sir "
I bow my head

His face was what brought tears to my eyes.. He looked so sad... Like Confused and sad

Then I told him briefly that it had to do with justice and I won't mind  losing my job over it......

He was touched by my story and what he said after that made me want to fight harder

"You do what you have to do Genesis, I know it must have been really difficult to hold on to that much pain for so long... And so you know you mean so much to me, You are just like my daughter... And so I can treat you like a father.. I would let you go, and just so you know I'm not giving up on you I want you to handle the business issues in Nigeria... And when you return, I know you would return "

I got so emotional, I couldn't hide behind my sunglasses anymore, I removed it and let the tears run out...

I walked to his seat and gave him a big hug

"It's going to be just fine.... Genesis.. I know you can do this "

We talked some more before I left his office... This didn't go bad at all...
Pearson has shown me the greatest compassion anyone has ever shown me all my life

When I first met him.. I remember he told me, if you want to get to the top... Rely on your own potential... And I did and I went from one of the many lawyers in the building to one that can sit next to him... Receive fatherly advice and hugs

Though he is not a perfect man.. He has his ups and downs. But he has never misbehaved with me and I respect him for that

I went to my office and start my day...and asked Peters to make traveling plans for me

At this point there's no turning back