Chapter 2: Discover

Both girls were petrified.

"If he's alive ..."

"We're leaving."

"No," Teresa refused. "We can't leave him here. He's a man. He's worth gold and diamonds. This is a historical finding. Do you know what it means, how transcendental this is?"

"Yes, they would make more men with his genes, and boom! Goodbye to our perfect life. Haven't you read history books? The world was disgusting because of them."

"But we can't leave him here anyway."

The black-haired girl felt the adrenaline rush through her veins. It was historic; it was part of an event that could be marked on the books; she could be in the news and be in the writings as the discoverer of man and the pioneer in the new era. They would even make a monument...

"Teresa, are you here?" Kariba called her, waving her hand in front of her eyes.

"We can't leave him here," she insisted.

The girl frowned.

"Yes, I told you we'd take him out, but apparently, you've lost yourself in your daydreams."

"Great," Teresa said euphorically. "Let's get him out." But Kariba stopped her.

"One condition. We won't tell anybody, and you will take care of this, okay?" Kariba clarified, wanting to be free of any problem. "It's going to be your business."

"Yes, yes, whatever." She hurried to open the capsule. It lit up.

Kariba was in charge of the awakening system without knowing why she had yielded, and Teresa took care of the locks. The water was drained somewhere, and the mask was removed. The blonde girl stepped back without Teresa noticing her since she feared that he would wake up and attack them; the fear ran through her for not knowing more about that creature from which she read atrocities.

Teresa lifted the cover that gave off a soft light, and there he was; now she realized that he had facial hair. Maybe it was what was called 'beard.' His body wore a kind of live suit, those that grew with its wearer. That tissue would begin to die after taking him out.

Apart from having shoulders wider than hips as in that photograph they had seen, she didn't see the bulges that should be her breasts, plus that grown beard... Yes, it was a man. There were no mistakes. It was not a hallucination. A small hatch was opened at the bottom, revealing a small suitcase.

"Are those his belongings?"

"How old will he be?" 

Teresa was suddenly shocked when he opened his eyes. The girl was petrified, planted in that different and deep stare of strange sky-blue color, intense, with thicker dark eyebrows, compared with the thin ones of them all. Her breathing began to accelerate for no apparent reason; she stepped back, fearful because she remembered that he could be dangerous at the last minute.

He blinked in confusion at having awakened, finding the freckled face of a young woman watching him with her big brown eyes.

"Hi," he said almost in a whisper.

Was that his voice? It was heavy. Teresa had once heard that their voices were different from theirs, so it was. She flinched and jerked back when he straightened up and sat on the edge of the capsule. The girl looked for Kariba, slapping the air to cling to her without stopping to see him.

The young man rubbed his face and looked at them; his eyes scanned the girls. Both were embraced and seemed terrified. He looked around, and it was no wonder. The place was gloomy.