Chapter 18: Broken

Teresa drank cow's milk. Even though, at first, it had been difficult for her to get used to the taste. Adrian watched her, showing a sweet and slight smile. The girl was quite happy because she had won, and the news spoke of the new mysterious woman. Their eyes connected, making her blush imperceptibly and smile, returning her gaze to the half-empty glass.

Adrian also continued with his sandwich. Something was hovering in his head, which wasn't the memories that hunted him from time to time: Teresa didn't seem interested in him in the same way. He had already decided to put feelings aside, so he cleared his mind after a silent sigh and continued with breakfast.

It was not the time to think about that. He repeated it over and over again, trying to convince himself and forget it.

Teresa quickly put on her suit, brushed her teeth, and combed her hair to leave. She ran down and went to her mother's office to kiss her goodbye. When she came out, she ran into Adrian in the living room.

"Is there no kiss for me?" he purred.

Her heart shot up, and she laughed nervously.

"Since when do I kiss you goodbye?"

"I know, never, but I gave you one, so you owe me..."

"Hah," Teresa put her hands against her waist. "I didn't know that you would charge me for that... This is cheating."

He let out his soft laugh and returned to the bar.

"Fine. I'm just kidding." He sat with his back to her.

But the black-haired girl already had her heart in her mouth, feeling the impulse beating in her body to take advantage of his distraction, kiss him and run away.

'Do it,' her mind scolded.

'No, he will turn to see you, and you will be trapped.'

'He was just teasing; he really doesn't want it.'

She took a step back.

'Do it. You will regret it.'

'Look, you could have already done it and run away.'

'Now, he will turn around if you approach.'

Teresa took another step back, looking down, feeling that the opportunity was slipping away from her definitely. She was not that brave when it came to getting close to him. The girl left in silence, and just as her mind said, she repented all the way to Eden.

When she was there, the same routine, but only something changed: the women's behavior.

"It was you," Diana commented with obvious annoyance. "The one in the video. You didn't tell me, and we are friends."

Teresa frowned. She didn't remember being a friend of hers.

"I thought it was my private life."

"Hah! On top of that, your fame is rising."

What happened to her?

"Alysa, with good reason, I noticed you nervous that day," Helen commented, arriving to meet them.

"Oh... yeah..."

"Although maybe in the video, you seem taller."

"Well, you know. Cameras."

"Come on. The prisoner leaves today. Diana, go to the incubator area."

The brunette girl felt diminished and got angry. Diana always wanted to stand out, and it was complicated in a world where everyone wanted that, but the black-haired girl wouldn't leave her behind. She hoped they would soon forget about the silly video. It was only necessary to wait for Teresa to make another small mistake. It was a matter of investigating the girl a bit, although the gossip on the news was already doing it independently.