Chapter 13: Much closer

"I can't believe how reckless I was," Teresa claimed while they entered the house. "They narrowly found you..."

"Maybe we have to wait until they find all the males."

"Even then, it won't be safe."

"So what? Are you going to keep me locked up here?"

"Why on earth don't you understand that I don't want you to be taken away?!"

That puzzled him, and Teresa reacted when she realized what she had said.

"Kariba came looking for you," DOPy intervened. "Your mom went to make some haircuts and left dinner ready."

"Thank you." The girl walked away, blushing. "Return the detector to the floater," she ordered.

While the drone left, Teresa was followed by Adrian. She sat in front of the glass bar, and her plate went to her.

"You have not given me an answer," he argued, sitting down also after taking off his coat and scarf, receiving his plate.

Teresa growled low. Didn't he realize she didn't want to talk about it?

"I received information about your party," added DOPy, returning after moving the detector. "Is the day after tomorrow."

"Party? Your prom?"

"Yes." Teresa sighed. "Just a ceremony in which everyone wants to show off."

"Don't you?"

"Not at all. I'm going to get my badge and food, and I think that's it."

"Aah, food, that's what I mean," he congratulated her, making her chuckle.

"It's not like I'm a foodie like you. You exaggerate."

Slight noises behind the kitchen cabinets and shelves alerted Adrian.

"Don't tell me there's something..."

"No, the house system pulls what we have brought and moves it to its place. Just as it happens with the dishes and the clothes."

"Oh, right. In that case..." He stood up and went to the fruit rack to get them out. "I'll make a smoothie."

"Do I help you?"

"For now, my lady, just watch."

The girl rejoiced inside. She saw him grab one of the laser knives and begin to chop fruit with skill. He had a different grace in the kitchen.

"Am I your lady?" Teresa questioned.

Adrian looked at her with a fleeting smile before continuing with the other fruit.

"You are." Those smiles were going to get her to confess her strange feelings. "You and your mom," he continued. "Who have welcomed me here..."

"My mom has Rita," commented the girl, feeling suddenly strange.

Adrian laughed lightly, then put the fruit in the blender. It was banana and apple, and the rest of the ingredients included peeled nuts, almond milk, oat flakes, and even a little bit of vanilla yogurt.

"That looks like a fattening formula."

"Not at all..." He turned on the device. "Well, maybe a little bit," he muttered.

Once the smoothie was ready, the system poured it out and headed in two glasses to their places on the bar. 

Teresa tried it.

"Uhm! I have to admit that It's not bad."

"Thank you."

DOPy put the CD on the living room's coffee table and played. It was soft music, so Teresa felt it gave more intimacy to the environment, a dangerously tempting familiarity.