Chapter 13: The Breakdown

You awoke to the sound of Loki's snoring and faint music playing in the background. You came to the conclusion that you had fallen asleep while playing truth or dare with Loki, but couldn't really remember the night very well. You rolled over, expecting Peter to be next to you, and were extremely surprised when your boyfriend's arms weren't wrapped around your waste. you checked your phone for the time and realized that it was four in the morning. You started to worry about where Peter was, so you decided to go look for him. Quietly stepping over the god of mischief, you exited your room and headed down the halls of Avenger's tower.

After ten minutes of wondering, you began to hear faint sobs coming from a hall closet that no one used. You recognized the calming voice, and realized that they were the sobs of your boyfriend. Immediately, you rushed to the door and faintly knocked, "Peter, hey, it's me. Can I come in?"

"Y/n?" he asked, his voice more broken than you've ever heard it before.

"Yeah, Peter. It's ok, I'm here. Is it ok if I open the door?"

There was no response, but Peter kicked the door open with his foot. When you saw Peter, your face immediately dropped and your heart sank in your chest. His face was red, blotchy, and tear streaked and he was sitting in the corner with his knees pulled to his chest. There were dark circles under his eyes and you could tell that he had been crying all night. You dropped to your knees in front of him and enveloped him in a warm hug, beginning to cry yourself.

"H-hey? Peter? Can you tell me what's wrong?" you asked while caressing his cheek with your thumb.

"You'll just think I'm week," he replied, starting to cry again.

"No! Peter, I'll never think you're weak. You are strongest person I know. Now can you please tell me what happened? I want to help you, but I can't if you won't tell me."

"I-I um..."

"It's ok, Peter, I'm here."

"I, well, I um, I didn't want to see you get hurt anymore, especially when it's my fault. Yesterday jut proved to me that I can't protect you. You need your dad for that, and you'll never need me, and I was um, I was having an anxiety attack last night, so I was looking for you. I needed you to help calm me down, but I couldn't find you. I guess I wasn't thinking clearly because I never actually checked your room, b-but I um, I-I thought that you were leaving me, that- that's why I couldn't find you. I thought that you wanted to break up with me because I'm not good enough, and that's why you weren't there, so I locked myself in here so none of the Avengers and especially Mr. Stark wouldn't see me like this," he rambled, completely breaking your heart.

"Oh my gosh, Peter!" you yelled while wrapping your arms around him once again, "I had no idea! I'm so so sorry that I made you feel that way. I never meant to make you feel like that! If I would've known that you were having a panic attack and that you needed me, I promise, I would've found you and helped you. Peter, I love you more than I have ever loved anyone, ever, and was not trying to break up  with you, nor will I ever try to break up with you. Ok? Are we ok now?"

"Y-yeah, thanks y/n."

"Of course, Peter. I would do anything for you. Now let's go do our homework because we have to go back to school tomorrow," you laughed and kissed the web-slinger's forehead.

The two of you walked back to your room and grabbed your books. Peter helped you with Chemistry and you helped him with trig. After a few hours, you went to the kitchen to grab some snacks. When you came back, you saw Peter taking selfies on your phone. He realized you were there and put your phone down, embarrassed.

You laughed and sat back to look at the pictures. Occasionally, Peter glanced over at you, but never made eye contact. Among all of the photos, this one was your favorite because of how adorable his face was.

The two of you spent the rest of the day doing homework, practicing for decathlon which happened to be this weekend, laughing, and watching movies

The two of you spent the rest of the day doing homework, practicing for decathlon which happened to be this weekend, laughing, and watching movies. At one point Steve had walked in, looking for Sam, but quickly realized that he wasn't in there and backed out awkwardly. You heard, "Don't do anything, I wouldn't do," from down the hall and the two of you broke down laughing while thinking of all the PSA's that get shown at your school. You had found out that Loki had done them while impersonating Steve, and that Steve actually had no idea they existed, which you thought was hilarious. You and Peter would sometimes plot a way to have him find out which would be hilarious, but you had never come to a conclusion. You decide it was best to let it come naturally and to continue to  study for decathlon.