Chapter 14: The Meet

You were walking to the bus that was going to take you and the rest of your team to Washington D.C. for academic decathlon. Your bright yellow, Midtown Tech jacket draped over your shoulders. Suddenly, you felt an arm around your waist, and you realized that Peter had caught up to you. You leaned on his shoulder as you picked a seat on the bus. You sat next to Peter as Ned and MJ sat across from you. Liz stood at the front of the bus quizzing the whole team while Flash played on his phone and Mr. Harrington mumbled incoherent words to himself. You eventually zoned out and stopped answering questions, even the science ones which were yours and Peter's specialties.

"Y/N! Hey, are you paying attention?" Liz yelled.

"What? Oh- uh yeah. I am," you replied, sheepishly.

"Whatever, just make sure you're paying attention next time your subject comes up," Liz answered with an eye roll as she went back to asking more questions.

"Hey, y/n. You ok, babe?" Peter asked.

"What? Yeah, I'm doing great, Peter."

"Y/n, something's up; I can tell. If you don't want me to know, I understand, but just know that I will always be here for you. And I mean that," Peter assured as he lightly kissed your forehead.

You smiled at his touch, but didn't want Peter to know how nervous you actually were for the competition. Because of this, you decided to just lay your head on his shoulder and buzz in on all the science questions so Liz didn't get mad at you.

Around an hour later, Ned tapped you on the shoulder, and you looked up realizing that you had fallen asleep and that Peter was no longer sitting next to you. "Hey Ned, what's up?"

"Oh- uh, I was just wondering if you could tell me how Peter's doing? He seemed pretty shaken up the other day and hasn't spoken to me since then," Ned questioned, concerned.

"Yeah, I think he's fine now. We were both pretty shaken up and upset about the whole thing and Peter did lock himself in a hall closet while having an anxiety attack, but I helped him through it. As far as I know, he's ok now as long as he isn't lying to me," you responded with less confidence than you wanted to.

"Ok, thanks y/n. I'm sure he isn't lying to you; Peter would never do that," Ned responded.

"Yeah, I guess. Speaking of Peter, do you know where he went?"

"Oh yeah. He went to the back of the bus to call Mae or something. He told me that he didn't want to wake you up. Also, Liz completely gave up on practicing and Mr. Harrington didn't want us to get tired out."

"Thanks so much, Ned," you replied while hugging your friend and getting up to find Peter. He was sitting in the last seat of the bus by himself looking at his phone with one earbud in his left ear. You walked over and sat on his lap, causing him to look up from his phone, startled. "Hey, babe," you whispered as you kissed his forehead.

"Hey, darling! What's up? You should still be sleeping," he responded.

"Peter, I'm not tired, plus I miss sitting next to my gorgeous boyfriend. Also, Ned's worried about you and so am I. You've been so distant lately, and after your panic attack, I don't want you to get hurt. I care about you way too much."

"Aww that's sweet, y/n, but I'm fine, I promise. If I wasn't, I would tell you."

"Promise?" you asked holding out your pinky finger and Peter laughed.

"Promise," he replied and wrapped his finger around yours. You immediately grabbed his hand and dragged him back to your seat and sat down. The rest of the ride, you laughed with Peter, Ned, and MJ, as the four of you told stories and jokes.

-----time skip to 7 p.m.-----

Your bus had arrived at the hotel you were staying at, so you followed your friends up to your rooms. You were sharing a room with MJ, while Ned and Peter were sharing another room. You were pretty tired from the bus ride, so you kissed Peter goodnight, waved to Ned, and walked into your room, flopping on the bed and instantly fell asleep.

The next morning you quickly grabbed a granola bar and an apple for breakfast, and then went to find Peter. You sat down next to him, and he instinctively wrapped his arms around you which made you laugh a little. After you had finished eating, you headed to the stage where the match would take place. The starters were you, Peter, Ned, MJ, and Liz. Through each category, you were neck and neck with the opposing team. the teams were evenly matched, so much so that you had to go into overtime. Your team along with Mr. Harris nominated you to go up to answer because the category was named as "The Elements." Although you disagreed, and thought that Peter should be the one answering, you went up anyway.

Adrenaline coursed through your veins as the question reader once again lent towards the microphone. The opposing player was glaring daggers at you which made you even more nervous when the reader finally began to speak. "This nonmetal on the periodic table typically appears as a yellow substance and is associated with a foul odor. It has the atomic number 16 and the chemical symbol S."

"Sulfur!" you yelled after smacking your buzzer abnormally hard, realizing that they had given you a relatively easy question. Instantly, the crowd erupted in cheers and you had become the center of a cheering mob of excited high school nerds. You turned slightly to the right and barely as soon as you registered that your beautiful boyfriend was standing next to you, did he crash his lips to yours in a blissful and passionate kiss.

As you looked into the crowd, you realized that all of the Avengers, your family, were there cheering you on, and got to witness you win the academic decathlon for your school. As you made eye contact, Tony, ran on to the stage and engulfed you in a hug, "I'm sorry for what happened to your mom, sweetie, and I'm sorry for not always being there for you as a father, but I want you to know that I love you so much, and right now, in this moment, i have never been prouder of you and the person that you've become."

 You teared up a little and hugged your father as the rest of your family walked with you off of the stage and back to the hotel where you would stay one more night until returning to New York. You said your good-byes to Earth's mightiest heroes and walked into Peter's room where you were going to hang out for the rest of the day. Ned and MJ had decided that they were going to go sight seeing, so the two of you were on your own. 

"Hey, Peter, can you please tell me what's wrong now? I'm really worried."

"It's stupid. Don't worry about it."

"Peter, nothing you could ever say is stupid. Trust me on this," you replied.

"Fine, so I was just thinking how smart you are, and how I'm not good enough for you. I know it's stupid, but I can't help but to feel like this," Peter sobbed.

"Woah, hey, Peter, it's ok. You're more than good enough for me and I love you for who you are no matter what, ok?" you answered, "if anything you're too good for me."

Peter sniffed and hugged you while whispering into your shoulder, "I'm sorry."