vi. strangers

OVERWHELMED WITH A myriad of civilisation, Ellie released a trembling breath as Dale strolled alongside her

  OVERWHELMED WITH A myriad of civilisation, Ellie released a trembling breath as Dale strolled alongside her. She halted anxiously ahead of the group, though Dale's reassured smile allowed a warmth to spread in her chest. Ellie opted to remain silent as Dale inaugurated her to the group, where the bright faces had been more than welcoming to see a new face around the camp. However cold their first reception truly had been.

  Their faces had been a mere mirage of hope. Success in survival. Clean, seemingly hopeful humans had been surrounding her, ready to welcome Ellie's family into their community without so much as a question. It had been a long time since even a semblance of humanity had been seen by the crystalline eyes of Ellie Sommers. And now, it was beginning to overwhelm her.

  Ellie found it challenging to recollect the last time she had seen that many people, despite only being alone for a mere two weeks. The group appeared to have been hit lightly by the apocalypse, with their clothes clean and their skin and hair freshly washed; it left Ellie jealous and dissatisfied at her living conditions over the last two weeks. Though, she knew it was petty to be jealous of fellow survivors.

  Ellie glanced over at a small group of ladies huddled together, noticing how they began whispering about her, but she knew that they had been talking about her appearance and how hard the apocalypse had hit her. All she could do was roll her eyes at the sight of childish behaviour carried by mature hands. Even the apocalypse could not destroy gossip.

  How could she clarify what she had done wrong for a stranger to do such a thing as whisper harsh words about her? Though gossip hadn't been much of a surprise since the very moment she had announced her pregnancy as a teenager, Ellie couldn't help but clench her fingers tightly into fists; knuckles growing white with the desire to swipe such smug glances off faces she hadn't even known. Boldly, she chose not to press on it. Ellie stood awkwardly as a lady with grey hair approached her, and grabbed onto her tightly, bringing her into a firm embrace.

  The woman proceeded to sob onto Ellie's shoulder and clutched onto her shirt with a tight grip, "Ellie, I can't thank you enough! I knew from the minute I saw your brother, he would help me in some way, and he sent you to help me find my daughter! I can't thank you enough! How ever we can repay you — we will!"

  Ellie awkwardly patted the woman on her back and smiled nervously, "I suppose you could help by allowing us to stay; it would mean a lot for us to stick together."

  "Of course," a deep, kind voice replied to Ellie from behind her, a sheriff appeared in front of her and held his hand out, "I'm Rick Grimes. We're grateful that you saved one of our people. And I'm grateful to see an old friend, again."

  "Ellie Sommers," she retorted, shaking his hand, politely, suddenly fizzling with recognition at his name, "You worked with my brother, Luke, didn't you?"

  "I did, you're right," Rick nodded, grinning at Ellie politely, "I saw him leave."

  Ellie nodded and stuffed her blonde, knotted hair behind her ears, "He went to get our bags, but he should be back at some point."