chapter 28 ; target

ELLIE GROANED IN frustration as she attempted to shoot down the target ahead of her, only or her hands to tremble when she attempted to set her sights on the target

ELLIE GROANED IN frustration as she attempted to shoot down the target ahead of her, only or her hands to tremble when she attempted to set her sights on the target. She threw the empty gun on the ground in frustration, and dropped down onto her knees, letting out a gentle scream as she had missed the majority of her marks on the target. She knew that Daryl had been watching her from afar, but she hadn't been in the mood to discuss her failure.

She gripped onto the gun once again, and stormed off in Shane's direction, where he had been sitting with a large map in his hands. Shane had joined Ellie and Daryl in seclusion by moving his own tent further up the farmland, only he was sure to keep his tent far from Daryl's, not wanting to know what he got up to at night. She threw the gun down on the table next to him, earning a small sigh and widened eyes from Shane. She clenched her jaw and raised her eyebrows, waiting for a response.

"Did the gun do something to offend you, Ellie?" Shane asked sarcastically as he raised his eyebrows, only dropping the map down slightly to get a small look at her.

She huffed in frustration, and furrowed her brows, "I didn't hit the target once," she gritted, folding her arms over her chest. She clenched her hands into fists at her sides, "I can't do this."

Shane let out a chuckle, and placed the map onto the table next to him, and stood to his feet, standing over Ellie with authority, "Why don't you have a go at some self defence rather than the weapons?"

"Not now," Ellie muttered, dropping her head down in shame as she spotted her daughter walking towards her in the distance, alongside Daryl. She dropped down to her knees, and welcomed her daughter into an embrace, "Did you learn anything new today?"

"Lori told me that Luke used to help people," Coda squealed, and grinned up at her father for approval. He shot her a small nod, and smiled as she continued, "He was police, and he put away bad guys. Like Rick and Shane!"

Ellie laughed at Coda's eagerness, and pinched her cheek gently, "That's right. He helped keep the bad guys away from the good guys."

"So, like a superhero," she added, folding her arms over her chest, imitating her mother as she had witnessed her do on several occasions, "because that's what superheroes do."

"I suppose it is," Ellie laughed once again, catching Daryl's eyes as the two laughed together.

Coda then suddenly pouted, and dropped herself onto the ground, burying her face in her knees as she let out a loud sob. As it had been so sudden, Ellie gasped, and reached out to Coda immediately, in attempt to get her to stand back up. Daryl kneeled down as quickly as he could, and gently reached for Coda, and began smoothing small circles on her back, which had began to calm her down immediately. Shane joined the two with the small child, and kneeled down, holding out his finger to lift her head from her knees gently, and flashed her a small smile.

"What's a princess like you doin' with her face buried like that?" Shane asked rhetorically, earning a smile through small sniffles from Coda, "What's on your mind, kid?"