xiii. a new day

THE LONG ROAD ahead of the group seemed like an illusion; the road seemed to continue forever, with a mere mirage standing at the end

THE LONG ROAD ahead of the group seemed like an illusion; the road seemed to continue forever, with a mere mirage standing at the end. Existence whirled like a memory, leaving the group entirely unsure whether they had been going in circles for hours, or simply driving ahead.

The howling of the vehicles and the quiet chatters of those of who knew what to say were the only audible sounds — everything else was still. Daryl had agreed to drive his bike with Carol on the back, regardless of Ellie's objecting and desire to join him instead, as a chance for the two to discuss their situation. His decision to place Carol on the back left an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach, but she simply ignored it. Survival had been their main goal, their private lives came second.

Ellie gazed as Shane drove her car quietly, his sparkling eyes were staring into the distance, just how she had done, though he interrupted their silence by questioning, "You doing okay? After... wanting to stay?"

"I'm not suicidal," Ellie muttered, shaking her head slowly, though her eyes remained void of emotion as she responded, "I didn't think it was wise to go back out there. I'm fine." She gently ran her fingers across his scratched neck, before sighing loudly, "How did really you get these scratches, Shane?"

"Lori..." he whispered breathlessly, as though he was ashamed to think of what had happened, "She was in the REC room where the kids were... they left, and she was looking for books—I don't—I guess—I guess... I have some feelings for her. I tried to kiss her, and–and she didn't want me to. I'm so stupid, man."

Ellie rubbed his arm in a comforting manner, though an uneasiness settled against her tongue when she responded, "No, you aren't stupid. Your mistakes do not define who you are in here," she smiled at him warmly as she pointed towards his heart, her voice gentle and soothing as she declared, "You can be a good man, Shane. Don't let bad thoughts control you."

He nodded his head with shame, and bowed it down to stare at his lap for a bit before bringing his head back up to the road, "Do you think I'll be kicked out with indecency if she tells Rick?"

Ellie sighed and dropped her head too, allowing the awkward question to fall from her lips, "Did you have... a relationship with Lori?"

Shane gulped, and nodded hesitantly, "Rick was in the hospital — she was lonely, and I loved her. I always did, that's the joke of it."

Ellie let out a shocked laugh, and rubbed her hands over her face, "If she were to mention anything to him, she would incriminate herself, which I doubt she would want to do." Shane nodded in response, "It doesn't make you a bad person — it made you reckless; love does that sometimes."

Shane laughed lightly and shook his head, giving Ellie a half-smile, "You frown when you're passionate about something."

Ellie laughed but averted her gaze over at the man who was riding his motorcycle, but her attention landed on Carol, who rode on the back. Ellie couldn't help but feel the frustration of being chosen last, but she swallowed her anger. All of the vehicles soon came to a stop when Dale's radiator hose had stopped working, leaving the group split off into different smaller sub-groups in the middle of the highway once again.