xii. just heat

THE ATMOSPHERE OF the group evolved to intensively alarmed as the members of the group that were frantic to survive were struggling for ideas

THE ATMOSPHERE OF the group evolved to intensively alarmed as the members of the group that were frantic to survive were struggling for ideas. Though nobody had a sure answer, they certainly weren't about to give up on the notion of freedom. They had fought far too long, far too hard just for it all to be taken away by a fantasising doctor.

Dale kneeled next to the two blonde women and joined them in their quest to allow the building to burn and incinerate them all. His preparedness to die alongside the women had been the epitome of a kindness. Dale was simply the embodiment of all good.

"So, what's the plan?" the elder man inquired, smiling at the girls sympathetically.

"I'm not going back out there — it's a death trap for my little girl," Ellie whispered, shaking her head. Tears began to shape in her eyes as she glimpsed down at her lap, "I don't want to subject her to the horrors that exist outside these walls... Jenner's right."

"So, you're just okay with her being killed?" Dale challenged, his tone had an underlying bitterness directed at the woman.

Ellie gasped at his bold question, her eyebrows furrowing from such a statement. She viciously gritted in response, "Of course I'm not okay with that, but what choice do we have, really?"

Dale then sighed, flashing Ellie a sympathetic smile, "Then I guess I won't be leaving either."

"You can't put that pressure on me," Ellie breathed out, her wide eyes swirling to face Andrea, whose widened eyes held nothing but guilt.

"I don't want to lose you, I've grown to care about you over this short period... You, too, Andrea. I won't leave without either of you," Dale declared openly with a smile, nodding at the two ladies.

Ellie felt the sorrow creep up her backbone, causing goosebumps to soar on her pale skin. She shook her head, and groaned as she realised that she couldn't have people's blood on her hands, — it wasn't right for them to relinquish their existences because she had given up hope.

"We don't want this," Rick growled to Jenner,  arguing back as ferociously as he could, not once backing down.

"You do want this. You said — you knew it was just a matter of time before everyone you loved was dead," Jenner recited nonchalantly to Rick, confused at his sudden change of heart.

"You said that?" Lori questioned, her voice strenuous as she observed her husband's pale face. Entirely appalled by such a statement.

"I had to keep hope alive, didn't I?"

"There is no hope — there never was!" Jenner asserted firmly, shaking his head at the naiveté of the group.

"Hope can only exist when there's even a chance we will survive," Ellie whispered, glancing down at her hands that were trembling as she felt the sorrow begin to fill the inside of her torn heart.