ii. friend

A/N:
I'm going to put a TRIGGER WARNING here for mentions of abortion. Abortion is discussed here, but it does not reflect my personal views. It is just for the plot, it is not to offend anyone :)

THICK TENSION WOVE itself between the three as they rode in silence — with Glenn and Ellie riding behind Maggie

THICK TENSION WOVE itself between the three as they rode in silence — with Glenn and Ellie riding behind Maggie. Maggie rode ahead in silence while Ellie rode peacefully on the back of Glenn's horse, gently clinging onto his damp shirt. Ellie understood the evident bitterness Maggie had been radiating towards Glenn, and she knew it had everything to do with the walkers that were in the barn, and how Glenn had betrayed her trust by entrusting both Dale and Ellie with the burden of the secret.

Ellie cleared her throat awkwardly, and slowly peaked herself out from behind Glenn, "Uh, I'm sorry to break this ever so comfortable silence, but shouldn't I be riding on my own horse while he two of you get the chance to talk alone?"

"No," Maggie stated emotionlessly, her tone monotonous and low as she stared ahead, refusing to face Ellie as she spoke to her. She hadn't wanted the woman to see the pain in her eyes; the betrayal she felt deep in her heart.

"Are you mad at me?" Ellie asked, nervously turning to face Maggie with a frown on her face in effort to create eye contact. Despite not knowing her long, Ellie had deemed Maggie a dear friend to her, and the last thing she wanted was for her to feel anger towards her.

"No."

"Maggie, I—" Glenn started, his tone quiet and defeated, despite his desperation to make amends with the woman.

"I asked for your trust and you betrayed it! And my dad's pissed at me. Your turn," Maggie interrupted, hissing at Glenn as she radiated an anger powerful enough to produce energy.

"I only told Ellie and Dale. Those two are the most trustworthy people in our camp!" Glenn argued back at her, huffing at her argument. Despite telling Ellie and Dale, Glenn had remained faithful to his promise, and had merely asked for advice in his endeavours with Maggie.

Ellie let out an elongated sigh, and softened her eyes as she glanced over at Maggie, "Look, your dad thinks they're sick. You saw what happened at the well, they're not sick. Glenn told us because he needed advice, not because he couldn't keep the secret."

"I'm not sure what I saw at the well..." she replied, shaking her head bitterly at the woman as the image of the walker in the well replayed in her mind.

"You do, Maggie," Ellie hissed, her eyebrows furrowing as she attempted to make eye contact with her, "For the safety of all of us, you need to do something."

For several moments, Maggie rode in an uncomfortable silence as she contemplated the severity of the situation, with only a basic knowledge of what the walkers truly were. She wanted to do right by everyone, but disappointing her father further was not an option in her eyes. In defeat, she shook her head whilst sighing, before she stopped the horse abruptly outside the small convenience store. In anger, she forced herself off the horse, and the atmosphere quickly became thick with infuriation that she radiated solely towards Glenn.