i. risky business

〚 conditions of existence 〛

ELLIE STARED INTENSELY at Glenn, her eyes involuntarily rolling as she was simply unable to comprehend the distressing information he had bestowed upon her

ELLIE STARED INTENSELY at Glenn, her eyes involuntarily rolling as she was simply unable to comprehend the distressing information he had bestowed upon her. She cleared her throat in awkwardness, and dropped her gaze to the ground as confusion began to overwhelm her, "I was just in the barn, dumbass." The idea that the Greene's had been keeping walkers in the barn had been absurd to Ellie — there was no way that Hershel would intentionally endanger the group after all they had endured together. She couldn't accept it.

"Not that barn, dumbass. The one Hershel requested we don't go near," Glenn murmured, rubbing at the nape of his neck with awkwardness, "They're keeping walkers in it, and that's why he wanted us away from it."

Ellie gnawed at the skin on her thumb, and wavered for a moment, contemplating the consequences of revealing the secrets of the barn. She was mindful of the disastrous consequences, but she wasn't sure if it was worth it. She let out a shaky breath, and nodded, "We keep this to ourselves now. Does anyone else know?"

"I-I haven't told anyone else, but we really should tell someone, right?" Glenn stuttered as his mind raced with the possibility of the walkers eventually getting out and harming the members. If he hadn't warned them, their blood would be solely on his hands.

Ellie sighed, swivelling to face the farmhouse with a heavy heart, "There's only one person we can turn to. You need to talk to Dale." Ellie knew in her mind that if there had been anyone who was able to help them — it was undoubtedly Dale Horvath.

>>>

Thereupon a deplorable night of tossing and turning, Ellie eventually sat up in her tent and gazed down at her sleeping daughter, whose rose-tinted cheeks made Ellie grin with adoration. She meandered her index finger lightly over her pale skin, and pleated her blonde locks behind her ear as she dozed peacefully. Coda's significance did not compete with gold nor riches. Her adoration for Coda was simply paramount; there was utterly nothing she wouldn't do for the safety of her daughter. Through everything, Coda had been the beacon of hope that kept Ellie going, for, without her, she was nobody.

Ellie's eyes involuntarily wandered to Daryl as he snoozed peacefully beside her, his arm creased under his pillow, and one leg poking out of the slight blanket draped around him. To Ellie, simply nothing had been more valuable than the family she had with her; the family whose love kept her alive and optimistic despite the chaos surrounding them; the family she would do anything to preserve. The idyllic image of her small family only the fuelled the never-ending blaze of resolution that prevailed deep within her soul — a pang to locate Luke and to save him. She had do it.

With persistence coursing through her veins, Ellie clasped the tiny crucifix necklace in her palm, and gently clenched it in her hand. She internally pleaded that she be prosperous in her attempt at discovering her brother — a chance to amend the tear in their family; to reunite them as a whole.