chapter 9

Y/n Pov

I slid the card into the slot waiting for the light to turn green before opening the door. When I walked in I seen Liz sitting on her bed scrolling through facebook, "Hey.... I thought you'd be hanging out with Sam..?"she looked up from her phone and shook her head. "He started asking question. Sounded like he wanted to start something so I said I had to pack the car. Then I left." She turned back to her phone and continued scrolling. "Liz you're not gonna do what you said are you?" I frowned noticing her eyes where red and puffy.

"Good thing your here though I was gonna text you. We have to leave tonight my mom called Zack is in the hospital." She sat up setting her phone on the pillow, I sat next to her and hugged her "what happened Liz?" She turned away so we wouldn't see the tears that were threatening to fall. "She said that he got his port put in for his chemo the day before we left then he started getting a fever the yesterday now he's in ICU because the port may have became infected. And it's so uncommon and they're not sure how it happened. But I need to get home" her voice became shakey as she spoke. I stood up from the bed and walked over to Colby who had an sympathetic look on his face.

"I'll walk you to your car?" He nodded and we left the room. "Who's Zach?" Colby's question brought me out of my trance and I looked up from the elevator buttons. "Zach is Liz's older brother he's 24 and he has pancreatic cancer he just started treatment for it and I guess it's not going well...." I felt a lump forming in my throat hinting that I was on the verge of crying but I bit my tounge trying to keep it back.

The doors opened up and we walked through the lobby and out the front doors. Colby leaned against the front of his car and sighed "it sucks you have to leave so soon" I nodded chewing my lip. I leaned towards me pulling me to him hugging me tightly, "these last few days felt like a dream that I'm waking up from sooner than I wanted to" I wrap pl ed my arms around him and my eyes began to water. "I really enjoyed our time together... will you still talk to me once I'm gone?" I pulled away enough to look at him as he smiled at me.

He kissed my forehead and nodded "ofcourse I plan on face timing you every night. And I hope you know I will be visiting in the near future." I smiled and kissed him then said "I guess this is goodbye....." he nodded "for now" we kissed again then I pulled away. I walked started to walk towards the hotel occasionally turning to look at Colby along the way to see him still sitting against his car looking at the ground with his hands in his pockets.

I sighed then continued walking, I wonder what was going through his head. Did he mean all the things he said or was it all a facade to get laid. Suddenly I felt something grab me and turning me around, my crutches fell to the ground with a loud clink. His lips crashed against mine and he held me close to him, I practically melted into the kiss the only thing keeping me standing were his arms around my waist.

"Wow" I giggled and he smiled "I just needed one more" his voice was raspy sending a chill down my spine followed by a warmth. He bent down and grabbed my crutches for me "thanks" I place my crutches under arms and smile. "I told the guys that I'm gonna visit you next month. Thought I'd let you know" he kissed me again and began to walk away. "I'll be looking forward to it" I watched him get in his car and wave goodbye.

◇◇◇time skip◇◇◇

I sat next to Zach's bed holding Liz's hand as she spoke to her brother, "are you scared?" Her voice was shakey and her face was damp from crying. Zach shook his head as he held Liz other hand his eye were watery exposing his lie. I had tried my hardest to be strong for the both of them but they were the family I never had but always wanted. I had met zach first and we had quickly become close, he then introduced me to Liz and they took me in and called me their sister.

Liz stood up wiping away the moisture from her face before speaking "I'm going to the cafeteria" I nodded and took her spot next Zach. I took his hand in mine and chokes back my tears as he spoke his voice weak and quiet. "Take care of her please. She doesn't show it much but she's pretty sensitive and I wont be able to look out for her any more. I love you guys...." He gently squeezed my hand and I nodded "we're going to miss you" I lost control and began crying resting my forehead on our hands I felt his other hand on the top of my head as he tried to comfort me.

Liz came back in with a soda and sat down next to me placing her hand on my back. I sat up and layed my head on her shoulder.

■■■■another time skip■■■■

I sat in the front row next to Liz and her mother as Zach's best friend told stories about Zach while trying not to cry. I was handing Liz another tissue when Zach's friend left the podium, it was now time to say our last goodbye so we all lined up to walk up to the casket. I was next in line as I watched Liz lean forward hugging her brother one last time causing more tears to fall from my eyes. Liz walked away and hugged her mom and I walked up to the casket placing one hand on the polished wooden rim and the other on his chest.

"Imma miss you friend. It seems like yesterday we were sledding down that hill on a piece of sheet metal and you busted your lip open on your own knee. I'm gonna miss our late night conversations about conspiracy theories and all your get rich quick ideas. And I'll keep my promise, I'll take care of Liz and I know you'll be watching over the both of us. I love you I'll see you again someday" I kissed my fingers and placed them on his forehead before walking over to Liz and her mother both of them embracing me In a hug.

I made myself cry 🤦‍♀️ I hope it wasnt bad or too cheesey, ❤