chapter 29

I sat on my couch in a daze as Liz made us some snacks, "What's on your mind Y/n" Liz asked as she sat down next to me. "Liz.... I need you to have an open mind for what I'm about to tell you" she nodded as I spoke "I'm still in love with Colby but I love Sam and I would never forgive myself if I hurt him" I watched Liz as she looked away and nodded humming slightly. "Well I'm not sure what to say. I hate to do this but I dont think I can help with that issue" she said her voice just above a whisper.

"When I learned I was pregnant I was so happy to know that they were both willing to be dads but after the accident I just wanted to be with Colby I feel like he is the only one that truly knows what it feels like" I sighed and shook my head. "I just don't know anymore"

"Well maybe you just need to break things off with Sam and take a break from both of them till you know what you want" Liz rubbed my arm and I nodded. "Imma go talk to Sam" I grabbed my keys and walked out the door heading to Sam's apartment. I usually just walk in but today I knocked, after a few seconds he opened the door and smiled at me. "Hey how you feeling?" He asked stepping aside so I could come in.

"I don't know to be honest....." I said walking over to his couch to sit down. He sat next to me and took my hands in his and examined my face as I took a deep breath. "What's wrong?" His voice was soft and it brought tears to my eyes. "Sam you know I love you?" I paused and looked at his face as it contorted into a frown. "I hate to do this..... because it hurts me so bad but I need a break." My voice broke as tears streamed down my face. He took a deep breath and pulled my to him hugging me tightly, "ok I understand."

I could hear the sadness in his voice and my heart broke, "I need to explain why" I pulled back from him and he shook his head. "No Y/n you don't. You never have to explain yourself to me. And I hope we could stay friends until you decide what you want." He placed his hand on my cheek gently rubbing his thumb over my cheek bone before gently kissing me.

I smiled and stood up "thank you Sam" he nodded and walked me out. I looked into Sam's eyes one last time before waving goodbye.

***

"So he took it well?" Liz asked walking into the kitchen to watch me cook. "Yeah surprisingly well" I looked over my shoulder at liz who shrugged "that's what happens when someone truly loves you and wants the best for you" I glared at her "you're not making this any easier!" She shrugged and opened the fridge. "No snacks Liz dinner is almost ready" I said sternly before shutting the fridge.

"OKAYYYY MOM!" She yelled sticking her tongue out at me. I shook my head and leaned over flipping the chicken "ok so chicken needs 5 more minutes...... rice is done, aaaannnnd baked potatoes are done" I muttered to myself as I cooked. I heard Liz laugh from behind me so I quickly grabbed one of the tin foil wrapped potatoes and tossed it to her.

She caught it then immediately dropped it "Ow! That was hot as hell" she snapped slapping my arm as I reached down to grab the potato. "Well, then don't laugh at me. You know I do that when I'm concentrating" I put the foil wrapped potato back on the pan and pulled out two plates.

Liz grabbed the plates and walked to the couch "can you get me a mountain dew please." I walked over with our drinks and we ate dinner quietly as we watched tv."

***

It had been a month since Sam and I broke things off and we had only spoke to each other twice since that day. I knew before I even dated him that I was risking losing our friendship; that's why I wasn't surprised when I would occasionally see Sam in the halls he would pretend to be on the phone. Colby and I would face time some nights but I never really talked to him about anything between him and I or Sam and I so he didn't ask.

I had gone back to work today and learned that my division was moving to Hawaii at the end of this month without Liz. Work was great being in the water with the marine life took my mind off of everything.

I got off early because my new boss Lindsey didn't want me to over do myself, it was only 12pm so I decided to call Colby and see if he wanted to catch a movie.

"Hey Colby you doing anything right now?"

"Yeah actually Sam and I are heading home for the weekend" there was some cracking and he started to cut out

"Going........service........can't.......  later"
Then he hung up

"Well shit!" I stuffed my phone back into my pocket and continued walking through the hall. I seen Corey knocking on Colbys soo looking severely upset. "Hey Cor Colby and Sam are out of town for the weekend" he turned and looked at me his eyes like blood shot as if he'd recently been crying. Corey and I were never great friends but we had hung out a time or two when I was dating Sam. He opened his mouth to say something as he lifted his phone but he let his arm fall back to his side.

He looked down and began to walk towards me, before he could walk passed me I grabbed his arm. "Hey what's wrong?" He looked at me and sighed. "Wanna come inside?" He nodded and I pulled my keys out and unlocked my door.

He walked in and leaned against the couch half sitting on the back of it. I shut the door behind me and tossed my keys on the counter. "Water?" He nodded and I walked to the fridge grabbing two bottles of water. I handed him one and leaned against the couch next to him, "Sooo what's eatin ya?" I asked looking up at him. He bit his lip and fidgeted with the bottle before taking a deep breath "Devyn and I broke up" I gasped in shock "No....I'm so sorry" I said hugging him. He tensed causing meto pull back "sorry.... uh wanna go catch a movie maybe an arcade.... take your mind off things?" He nodded.

**time skip 8pm**

Liz's POV:

I stopped by Y/n place to see if she wanted to come shopping with me but she wasn't home. I continued down to the parking lot but ducked behind a car when I seen Y/n and Corey laughing and walking towards the door. Corey was carrying a to-go box and had a green snake draped over his shoulders. Y/n was carrying a neon pink Cheshire cat that was about the size of her torso, they stopped at the door and Y/n turned smiling up at him. "No way" I whispered as I watched her hug him, is Corey cheating on Devyn?!

Y/n POV:

I smiled at Corey and hugged him, he hugged me back before handing me my to-go box. "Thanks for today" Corey said smiling "you're very welcome" he turned to leave but stopped "hey uh dont tell anyone about Devyn and I yet please" I nodded and pretended to zip my lips. He winked and grabbed the snake from around his shoulders draping it around mine, I watched him walk back to his car before driving of.

Not a second after Corey drove off I heard Liz "oh my god you little slozie" I looked over at Liz and laughed. "What did you just call me?" She walked up to me and shoved my shoulder laughing "you and Corey? Really???"