05 - the one where he is silent

Taara quietly walked along the rocks at Marine drive. She used to come here everyday. However, she had skipped yesterday.  She had spent the Tuesday evening at the Chowpaty Beach instead. She didn't know how to face Aayush if she saw him again. Two days ago, when she left behind his back she hadn't felt so bad about it. But in retrospect she felt so guilty of leaving him like that. That was really rude on her part. But then, a little part of her wasn't comfortable being with a man she barely knew. With watchful eyes wandering over the place she scanned her regular spot. She didn't find him. She paused standing still wondering whether to sit at the spot or somewhere else. People passed by her, nonchalantly. Sighing she sat down on the pavement, keeping her bag aside. Her eyes looked to the right and then left. Her eyes lit up when she noted a familiar face, that of Mr.Stranger, Aayush!

Taara looked at him carefully.  He was seated on one of the tetrapods looking ahead of him at the vast expanse of water. Taara's eyes did not leave him. She felt still more bad than she had felt yesterday. She shouldn't have been such a coward. She sighed, looking in his direction. Minutes passed. Taara noted the aloof expression on his face. Although she wasn't sure she read correctly given the distance. It was as though he was lost thinking about something deeply. He didn't seem to be the bad guy kind. But again, when did a bad guy come holding a placard saying 'I-am-bad.'

Taara noted his gaze waver. She immediately tore her gaze away and looked at the waves. She was sure he saw in her direction. If he did, which he surely had, he would spot her. Taara did not look in his direction whatsoever.  She half expected him to walk over to where she sat. Why would he do that? She was so rude to him the last time. She finally saw in his direction and there he was silently looking ahead once again. Great, so he ignored her. Like the rest. But here she was the one who was wrong. Taara didn't like this feeling in her heart. Urgh.

She picked up her shoulder bag and got to her feet. She made her way to the pavement a foot away from the rock he sat on. "Hi!" She said aloud. He didn't seem to have heard. Taara looked around her and then once again tried drawing his attention by calling out loud. This time her voice louder than before. "Hello!" Was he deaf? Prolly to her voice, cause everyone around her turned to look at her except him. So much attitude! Urgg. Not that she was desperate to talk to him. She just wanted to apologize and lighten her heart from the guilt. 

She carefully stepped down and reached the rock beside his. Are you deaf? She wanted to say. "Hi!" She said instead. He looked up at her with a blank expression and then swiftly drifted his gaze back to the waves. Taara held back her annoyance and sat on the rock. She let a silent minute pass by thinking whether she should really apologize to this man who was throwing so much attitude on her face.

"I am sorry, I just left yesterday. Um, there was a- a- emergency, a minor one." She lied. He threw a glance her way and then went back to ignoring her. Rude! 

"Look, what's your problem? I am apologizing-- okay." She spoke nettled. He only gave her a quick glimpse. Taara stared at him with her mouth slightly ajar. 

This was it. She wasn't saying a word more now. 

She waited for him for a good minute.  "Fine,then you can sit and throw that attitude on those rocks. I am leaving." She expected a reaction from him but nothing came. "Fine then." She sighed dramatically. 

No effect. 

Annoyed she straightened the strap of her bag on her shoulder. This dude was perhaps meditating on bigger issues in life. 

There are two ways of expressing annoyance. One silence and the other one-sided-conversation. It's funny, how the two are almost opposites

━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━

What do you think is the meaning of Aayush's silence?