34 - the one where she is unsettled

Taara was happy that she could finally go out. However, she hadn't resumed going to work. She was considering quitting the job and finding a new one. She was still weighing the pros and cons of doing so. She had realized that her life was much positive owing to absence from work. She hadn't talked to anyone about it. Right now she was waiting for Aayush to pick her up. She was finally going to the Marine Drive. She got up from the couch when she noticed his car on the lane outside through the window. She quickly told her mother that she was leaving. She walked steadily to the door putting her scarf around her neck. She wouldn't step out of her house without a scarf. She made it a point to wrap the scarf around her face so that only her eyes were visible.

"Hey," his soft voice greeted her outside her house as she climbed down the few stairs. 

"Hi!" She greeted back smiling. It had been eight days to that little conflict they had had over dinner. Neither of them had brought it up again. They had gone back to the normal sarcasm, and mockery filled conversations both on text and in person. He still made it a point to visit her every evening. Though from past few days, he didn't stay long like before. He was gone in a matter of twenty or so.

She sat comfortably on the passenger seat, he passed her a smile and shut the door, then walked around to the driver seat's door. "Someone looks very excited today."

"Why should I not be?" 

He chuckled driving. While she busied herself in wrapping the scarf around her face. The healing peeled skin look still worse on her cheek. He observed her from the corner of his eyes. "You don't have to do that you know."

"Please. I look like a ugly duckling. Would you like to be seen with a lady with scarred face. People will stare and be like the guy is mad." She spoke as she fixed the knot behind her head.

"I don't give a damn to what people say or think."

"Mr. Aayush Vikrant Rathore you have a repo to keep!"

"Nothing matters. You should accept yourself, Taara. It's like taking a step towards self acceptance. These small things in life help us become stronger."

"You're not the one with a marred cheek. I am. It's easy to say,  Aayush. Step into my shoes and you'll know." She looked away outside the window. Aayush fell into thoughtful silence. The walk to their regular spot was done in silence.

"I will be back." Saying that he walked away to buy their usual beverages. Taara blinked away her tears in silence. Was it so easy for him to say? She was sick and tired of listening to his so called piece of advice. She was hard on herself? Not a chance, she loved herself. She did not accept herself? He was clearly blind to have not noted how well she embraced what she was. 

"Here." He whispered sitting beside her passing her the cup of tea.

She took it without meeting his eyes. She could feel his gaze on her. She ignored it and sipped her beverage. Her eyes looking at the far away waves. An easy silence fit itself between them as both stared at the waves lost in their own thoughts.